Players asking for a cut of TV $$$ | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Players asking for a cut of TV $$$

my mother and father got divorced when i was 2 months old. mother abandoned me at 9 years old. lived in and went to every school in in the county because we had to keep moving to avoid paying rent.so what do i get as a WHITE kid that had a rough life.But now has a house,2 cars and 2 kids because i busted my arse.WITH NO HANDOUTS OR ANY OTHER HELP FROM ANYONE,PERIOD.I REALLY DON'T CARE NOR WANNA HEAR ABOUT OTHERS BEING SO CALLED HELD DOWN!!!!And again, i have no idea how we got here!!!!

i will take a free 200k( free) education anyday for playing a game.But thats just me.

This shows you don't understand a capitalist system. You won't get a free 200K education for playing a game b/c you can't play the game - this is called "human capital".

Robert Solow, winner of the '87 Nobel Prize in economics summarized it best when he was asked if it bothered him that Roger Clemens made signifigantly more money then he did:
"No, there are a lot of good economists but there is only one Roger Clemens"

This shows you don't understand a capitalist system. You won't get a free 200K education for playing a game b/c you can't play the game - this is called "human capital".

Robert Solow, winner of the '87 Nobel Prize in economics summarized it best when he was asked if it bothered him that Roger Clemens made signifigantly more money then he did:
"No, there are a lot of good economists but there is only one Roger Clemens"
To each their own i guess.For somebody to go from having nothing to a 200k education and still bitch.IS a waste of time and A VERY SELF CENTERED,GREEDY individual.I have now changed my mind. GIVE ALL WHAT THEY WANT!!!It is after all, a what do i get out of it world.PFFFFFFTTTTT, WHAT THE FUC* EVER!!!!.If someone wants SOMETHING BETTER FRIGGING WORK FOR IT!!!!ing country is now nothing but a bunch of handouts.

It's a capitalist country - people always seek to improve their "postion" regardless of how "well" it is perceived they are already doing. There is nothing wrong with wanting more, our whole country is based on this concept.

To say it's Free to play a game is completely inaccurate. The only way you can say it's free is if the game being played is in a social league and doesn't require you to practice year round, with doubles daily, with restrictions on what time you go to bed or when to eat or who you "can" hang with, and doesn't end up in concussions or potentially getting paralyzed.

Furthermore, while many do, many do not see the education as the main factor in college. And to think that universities are rewarding these guys with a scholorship is ridiculous. They don't sit there and say, well sh$t, this guy is a hell of an athlete... let's bring him in to star as our DE and in return, we'll get him the best 4 years of education he can ever get. Give me a break. It's their version of a payoff... but they are there to play football. To earn money for the school. Do you really think the universities care after the kid leaves/graduates wheter or not he got a good education?? Or do you think they care about whether or not the # jersey sold millions, or if he was the lead player talked on ESPN and how they will now be called DE university and more star players will cmoe and more money and more fans... come on.

Ridiculous. They're already highly compensated with a high price education and room/board that others pay a lot for. A precious few receive the coaching/development/stage that enables them to go on to pro sports for huge $$$. The others receive a marketable association (athletic team member) that will open doors for them the rest of their lives.

To say it's Free to play a game is completely inaccurate. The only way you can say it's free is if the game being played is in a social league and doesn't require you to practice year round, with doubles daily, with restrictions on what time you go to bed or when to eat or who you "can" hang with, and doesn't end up in concussions or potentially getting paralyzed.

Furthermore, while many do, many do not see the education as the main factor in college. And to think that universities are rewarding these guys with a scholorship is ridiculous. They don't sit there and say, well sh$t, this guy is a hell of an athlete... let's bring him in to star as our DE and in return, we'll get him the best 4 years of education he can ever get. Give me a break. It's their version of a payoff... but they are there to play football. To earn money for the school. Do you really think the universities care after the kid leaves/graduates wheter or not he got a good education?? Or do you think they care about whether or not the # jersey sold millions, or if he was the lead player talked on ESPN and how they will now be called DE university and more star players will cmoe and more money and more fans... come on.
THE KID leaves with one hell of an education.If that isn't good enough.Then they should go straight to the NFL.Sorry, but no money EVER should be given to a college athlete.What next? recruiting players at a highschool in Skaneateles?

If they don't like it, let them go play in the Arena League.

I'm tired of the 'woah is me' from people getting free educations, free room and board, free tutoring, and access to better facilities than most students, where 99% of them will never play professional football. Cry me a river. If you don't like it, don't play, no one is forcing you to.

Bud Poliquin always makes the point about players getting an education worth- he used the figure $300,000. But what is the value of a scholarship to someone who isn't there to get a degree? If a kid is in school because adults have laid that out as the route to the NFL or NBA, what does the $300,000 mean to him? How does he spend it? How does he react to the schools making all these moves to increase their revenue while using a draconian system of rules to make sure the players don't get any of that cash.

I think a living expense stipend is a good thing and let the kids profit from their own likenesses, signatures and memorabelia. The NCAA should concentrate on illegal recruiting inducements and unethical things done to keep kids eligible.

Bud Poliquin always makes the point about players getting an education worth- he used the figure $300,000. But what is the value of a scholarship to someone who isn't there to get a degree? If a kid is in school because adults have laid that out as the route to the NFL or NBA, what does the $300,000 mean to him? How does he spend it? How does he react to the schools making all these moves to increase their revenue while using a draconian system of rules to make sure the players don't get any of that cash.

I think a living expense stipend is a good thing and let the kids profit from their own likenesses, signatures and memorabelia. The NCAA should concentrate on illegal recruiting inducements and unethical things done to keep kids eligible.

Exactly!

Ppl keep mentioning the education that theyr'e getting... that's the real value here... Yet the universities are moving conferences to allign up with FB based solely on $$... not on this academic value that everyone else talks of. Perhaps the universities should stop confusing the message they're trying to lay on the kids... It's about your education, but it's about FB and $$ to us!

Whatever. this is so stupid. No college player should ever be payed.Why not pay the rest of the kids that actually have to pay for they education.Like i said,bunch of money hungry ,what about me ,wheres mine.I am so done with this convo. Its a bunch of bullshit.

A

And it will never be enough.they will allways want more.

Bud Poliquin always makes the point about players getting an education worth- he used the figure $300,000. But what is the value of a scholarship to someone who isn't there to get a degree? .

All of which illustrates how academic institutions have sold their souls.

In how many other cases at a university...cases not involving a student-athlete...would one ever say "but what about the kid who isn't there to get a degree?"

Universities are non-profit entities. This extra money goes to upgrading facilities, sustaining other sports, and in some cases, the general fund for academics. Go in the Geology Building and see the auditoriums and classrooms clearly denoted as paid for with Fiesta Bowl money.

Nancy Cantor isn't sitting there inside a money bin, the additional money is reinvested into the university, not going into her pocket.

All of which illustrates how academic institutions have sold their souls.

In how many other cases at a university...cases not involving a student-athlete...would one ever say "but what about the kid who isn't there to get a degree?"

"Sold their souls?" Come on, now.

Seems like your issue really lies with the NFL for requiring three years after high school graduation before submitting their name into the draft and having no true farm system.

I so want Cantor to run for mayor of Syracuse,She is the most forward thing person this city has seen in a VERY long time.I really do thing Nancy is looking to run for office sooner or later.I hope she is anyway.I might move back to the city just to vote for her.

Whatever. this is so stupid. No college player should ever be payed.Why not pay the rest of the kids that actually have to pay for they education.Like i said,bunch of money hungry ,what about me ,wheres mine.I am so done with this convo. Its a bunch of bullshit.

I think you have gone off the deep end with most of your posts in this thread, but you make one point here that I have often thought of when the subject of paying players comes up.

The rationale for paying players above and beyond the free education they get is that they help bring $$$ to the school.

OK, fair enough. But you know who brings the most $$$ to the school? Rank and file students; the 95% or so of the student body that doesn't play sports. The kids who pay their own way, in some cases taking on the burden of loans that take many years to pay off.

It is that $$$ that pays for faculty salaries, administration, facilities, and on and on and on.

If the football team went away tomorrow, most universities would be just fine the next day. Heck, many athletic programs operate in the red to begin with. Tons of schools...many very fine ones, in fact...get along perfectly well with D1AA teams or no teams at all.

But if the rank and file student body went away tomorrow, the school would have to close.

So if somebody should get paid, should it be the athlete...especially the ones whom SWC refers to as not being there for the diploma? Or should it be the 95%+ of the student body that really keeps the school in existance?

And given that the 95%+ will never get paid, why should the athletes be (beyond the free ride through college)?

"Sold their souls?" Come on, now.

Seems like your issue really lies with the NFL for requiring three years after high school graduation before submitting their name into the draft and having no true farm system.

Nope, not really. When a school loses site of its primary mission...to educate...then yeah, they have sold their souls

Do you understand that they are currently "paid" vastly less than what they would make in an open market?

What "Open Market?" 99 Percent of these kids are not good enough to play professionally. They simply are not good enough. Where is the open market that they can/should go to? If there were a minor league NFL, I would say "Great. Let them go and take their chances." Most of them would make a few bucks, and then be right back where they were -- now without an education.

You know what college is REALLY ABOUT!!?EDUCATION!!!!IN THE END. its all about education.I could care less if these football players learning finger painting ever go anywhere.This frigging country is going so far down the tubes.Last thing i care about is if some 18 year old kid catching a football is getting paid enough to make up for his 200k free education.

i will take a free 200k( free) education anyday for playing a game.But thats just me.

Absolutely right. My kids would have killed to play a D1 sport at the college level for scholarship.

For crying out loud. Half the kids can barely spreak correct english.Alot of illegals from Mexico speak better english then the kids that are to lazy to use it from the streets.BY THE WAY.IS america short on belts??Lots of kids pants falling down these days.But,them are the kids we wanna pay to play sports.And before i am called racist.Its all colors that have a problem with keeping their dam pants up.If they are not smart enough to buy a belt ,then they are to stupid to demand money.

300+ players from GT, Kentucky, UCLA, Arizona and Purdue signing a petition for a cut of TV revenue.

No signees from USC or Auburn as they're already getting paid well.

IF they want a cut of the TV deal, let them pay to go to school like everyone else. Full tuition.

IF they want a cut of the TV deal, let them pay to go to school like everyone else. Full tuition.
Bingo. They can't have it both ways. Then you have to pay any student that brings money into the university.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom