Point guard | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Point guard

Stop this nonsense about Girard “proving” anything in high school. He played the lowest level of ball in NYS, against guys whose future in D1 would be intramurals. In the Peach Jam, where he played vs D1 prospects in an actual team setting (not a defense optional AllStar game) he shot 30% from 3 and had 22 turnovers to 21 assists. Sound like an ACC level point guard to you?
He played class B ball not the lowest level and had basketball offers from everyone that matters and multiple Division I football offers. Give the kid a break. Oh yeah another kid from his high school is the most decorated player at BYU and spent some time in the NBA.

I think Carey's ceiling is "Jason Hart." Meaning I think he can establish himself as the team's clear-cut starting point guard and cocky team leader, albeit while driving us insane with his occasional recklessness.
I’ll go on record right now saying his ceilings Dion. Is that my expectation going into 2019/2020? Hell no. This is a young team, let them develop and hopefully elijah will become a bit more versatile in his game to make up for our young scorers mistakes

Everyone is awful bullish on Carey. I hope y’all are right. I don’t think he’s Kaleb Joseph level but I think the automatic jump everyone is predicting (close to the level of MCW?) is not even close to being guaranteed.

He played class B ball not the lowest level and had basketball offers from everyone that matters and multiple Division I football offers. Give the kid a break. Oh yeah another kid from his high school is the most decorated player at BYU and spent some time in the NBA.

This is a little extreme the other way. He shot about 40% from 3 in two seasons of the EYBL. Using Peach Jam is an entirely too small of a sample size.

IMO its essential that Carey is our guy and is able to play point or this is going to be a very long year. He is one of the few players who can beat his man off the bounce on this team. I think Hughes has some potential in this department but with OB most likely gone this team is really going to need someone to step up and be able to create some offense and open looks.

This is a little extreme the other way. He shot about 40% from 3 in two seasons of the EYBL. Using Peach Jam is an entirely too small of a sample size.
The Peach Jam is the best level of EYBL competition. Many teams in the EYBL have players who are borderline P5 prospects. The Peach Jam is the closest he came to playing multiple games vs legitimate D1 level competition, as he will in the ACC. I’ve seen him play a number of times, and will be absolutely shocked if he can play any meaningful time at pointat SU.

The Peach Jam is the best level of EYBL competition. Many teams in the EYBL have players who are borderline P5 prospects. The Peach Jam is the closest he came to playing multiple games vs legitimate D1 level competition, as he will in the ACC. I’ve seen him play a number of times, and will be absolutely shocked if he can play any meaningful time at pointat SU.

I follow the EYBL as much as anyone.

I guess you would know he was the leading scorer for the City Rocks when they played Goodines team Last year or that he played really well overall in the EYBL in 2017 including produced in the previous peach jam? So I stand by my point.

That said Carey is pg this year.

Last edited:
Stop this nonsense about Girard “proving” anything in high school. He played the lowest level of ball in NYS, against guys whose future in D1 would be intramurals. In the Peach Jam, where he played vs D1 prospects in an actual team setting (not a defense optional AllStar game) he shot 30% from 3 and had 22 turnovers to 21 assists. Sound like an ACC level point guard to you?
And wasn't he the MVP in the Washington all star game? I may be wrong but the talent there had to be much higher than D1 intramurals. Just because it might be "defense optional", beating out 20 or more other players is an accomplishment. And 30% ain't nothing to snooze over either.

Girard is an interesting player. I worry about him at point for a few reasons. It won’t be as easy for him as it was against shrimpy upstate high school kids. In that recent all star game, he had a few turnovers when he was a bit ambitious with the handle. Yeah, that was an all star game, but my concern is that he’s used to playing where he’s a big volume contributor. In a game where you’re going to take 80% of the shots and score 50 points, a bunch of turnovers is almost insignificant. I’m going to enjoy seeing how this leader transitions his game toward being more of a component—an ensemble player rather than the lead. I think he’ll eventualy be very much like a GMac after Carmelo left, but I hope he has more help and doesn’t have to be a one man band.

Girard is an interesting player. I worry about him at point for a few reasons. It won’t be as easy for him as it was against shrimpy upstate high school kids. In that recent all star game, he had a few turnovers when he was a bit ambitious with the handle. Yeah, that was an all star game, but my concern is that he’s used to playing where he’s a big volume contributor. In a game where you’re going to take 80% of the shots and score 50 points, a bunch of turnovers is almost insignificant. I’m going to enjoy seeing how this leader transitions his game toward being more of a component—an ensemble player rather than the lead. I think he’ll eventualy be very much like a GMac after Carmelo left, but I hope he has more help and doesn’t have to be a one man band.

In all the highlights I’ve watched, I’m not sure I’ve seen Girard drive to the basket to his left at all or use his left hand to finish around the rim. So that would seem to be a question mark, from what I can tell.

His ballhandling skills look very good in terms of creating space for himself to get jumpers off. I’m not sure they are as far as bringing the ball up against pressure Defense at this level. We’ll see.

While I’m not a big fan of recruiting sites, there’s a reason Girard is ranked somewhere between 180-200. (And over 100 spots below Goodine). There are serious questions about his ball handling and defense. And don’t forget, in high school he averaged over 35 shots per game (32 minute games) against virtually no D1 prospects.

I follow the EYBL as much as anyone.

I guess you would know he was the leading scorer for the City Rocks when they played Goodines team Last year or that he played really well overall in the EYBL in 2017 including produced in the previous peach jam? So I stand by my point.

That said Carey is pg this year.
His EYBL stats 12 pts per game, 40% fg%, 36.7% 3pt %, 22 assists, 21 turnovers (16 game stats). Not my definition of “really well”. Certainly not ACC point guard assist/to stats.

His EYBL stats 12 pts per game, 40% fg%, 36.7% 3pt %, 22 assists, 21 turnovers (16 game stats). Not my definition of “really well”. Certainly not ACC point guard assist/to stats.
I never said he was a PG. I also don't think he's trash like you.

What part of 2017 did you not understand?

You do realize Brycen shot under 40% in the EYBL last year right?

Hope I'm wrong but the lovefest for Carey is mindboggling. I guess Carey wasn't the one turning it over as frequently as Frank against UConn. He has done nothing to make me think that he can handle the point in the ACC. Goodine will be the PG .

I believe Carey will win the spot early, but it will be Girard by mid-January. I think it's going to be difficult to keep a shooter like Girard on the bench. Having 3 knock down 3-point shooters in Buddy, Girard and Hughes will spread the defense and make teams very vulnerable.

I never said he was a PG. I also don't think he's trash like you.

What part of 2017 did you not understand?

You do realize Brycen shot under 40% in the EYBL last year right?
Never said he was trash. Just said he’s in no way an ACC level point guard. Best bet is backing up Buddy. But I do find it amusing that many of the same guys (not accusing you) who consistently say we need to sign higher rated recruits think Girard, one of the lowest rated guys we’ve ever signed, will play a lot as a freshman. I hope they’re right and I’m wrong, but I just don’t see it.

Never said he was trash. Just said he’s in no way an ACC level point guard. Best bet is backing up Buddy. But I do find it amusing that many of the same guys (not accusing you) who consistently say we need to sign higher rated recruits think Girard, one of the lowest rated guys we’ve ever signed, will play a lot as a freshman. I hope they’re right and I’m wrong, but I just don’t see it.

The ranking part is so wrong I don’t know where to start. He wasn’t even the lowest rated guy in the current class.

Buddy’s ratings weren’t too lofty last year and he played pretty well. He was much more ready than the much higher rated Carey.

I think one can make reasonable arguments as to why he may not be a factor here as a freshman and they very well may be right. I’m not terribly worried about his ratings though.

What's wrong with 36.7% from three?

The ranking part is so wrong I don’t know where to start. He wasn’t even the lowest rated guy in the current class.
Anyone expect Ajak to start as a freshman? Name one guy rated higher than 180 who started for SU as a freshman.

Anyone expect Ajak to start as a freshman? Name one guy rated higher than 180 who started for SU as a freshman.

Where did I ever say Girard would start? You cherry picked 5 games from his AAU career as proof he couldn’t play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom