Point guard | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Point guard

Yes. In AAU. Not sure why this gets glossed over. Not that I think he starts this year, but...

Yes, but - JGIII was mostly "just a guy" in the AAU.

Not that that means he can't be ready to play vs. ACC talent this year, but-
when he went against future D1 guys in AAU, his output was not remotely what he did vs. his small HS league competition.
Which only makes sense.

Yes, but - JGIII was mostly "just a guy" in the AAU.

Not that that means he can't be ready to play vs. ACC talent this year, but-
when he went against future D1 guys in AAU, his output was not remotely what he did vs. his small HS league competition.
Which only makes sense.

I mean he was the 2nd and 3rd leading scorer and averaged double figures over two years while shooting 38% from 3 and over 90% from the foul line. He was a little more than just a guy... The City Rocks were very good both years he was on the team and without him and Stewart they were not nearly as good this year.

Howard is a general. Everyone else is a scorer 1st

I agree. I wish him good health. If he can crack the rotation, then we may be better for it.

The thing about Joe Girard is he is used to having a ball in his hands but focused more on getting his own shots versus finding his teammates. He is above average at getting his shot off off the dribble which is a good skill of a point guard where someone like Cooney or Andy was not as getting his shot off the dribble

I mean he was the 2nd and 3rd leading scorer and averaged double figures over two years while shooting 38% from 3 and over 90% from the foul line. He was a little more than just a guy... The City Rocks were very good both years he was on the team and without him and Stewart they were not nearly as good this year.

Sign me up for that.

Goodine and Quincy are the two kids coming in I feel that everyone is high on. I think JG3 gets talked about more just because he is very polarizing. There are people who think he plays very little the first 2 years because of the competition he goes up against. I'm in that camp. Then there are the people who seem focused on the amount of points he scored.

He might be GMac, Part 2. How big a school was Bishop Hannan, and how tough was their league in NEPA?
I'm hoping for the best. We have a bunch of promising young players.

For those who are familiar with JGIII's play, what sets him apart as such a prolific scorer? Quick release, ability to create spacing, moving without the ball, range, or something else?

For those who are familiar with JGIII's play, what sets him apart as such a prolific scorer? Quick release, ability to create spacing, moving without the ball, range, or something else?

Shoots it from deep, off the dribble, with a quick release. Great FT shooter.

Those are the aspects of his game that I’m confident will translate to the college level.

He certainly scored a lot going to the hole in high school too, and has some strength and athleticism. Not sure how he’ll finish at this level though, especially early in his career. It’s hard to gauge, because those HS teams he played certainly didn’t have D-1 size protecting the rim.

Shoots it from deep, off the dribble, with a quick release. Great FT shooter.

Those are the aspects of his game that I’m confident will translate to the college level.

He certainly scored a lot going to the hole in high school too, and has some strength and athleticism. Not sure how he’ll finish at this level though, especially early in his career. It’s hard to gauge, because those HS teams he played certainly didn’t have D-1 size protecting the rim.

This is where I think JG3's football background will help him. Kid knows how to take a hit.

This is where I think JG3's football background will help him. Kid knows how to take a hit.

I think physically he will be able to do it, but there could be an adjustment to the competition level in that regard.

I’m curious how he did in AAU in that regard.

Stop this nonsense about Girard “proving” anything in high school. He played the lowest level of ball in NYS, against guys whose future in D1 would be intramurals. In the Peach Jam, where he played vs D1 prospects in an actual team setting (not a defense optional AllStar game) he shot 30% from 3 and had 22 turnovers to 21 assists. Sound like an ACC level point guard to you?

Incorrect on the lowest level of ball in NYS - Class B has 2 levels below it. Not many people could average 50 for a season, against any level of competition much less being gameplanned for. Agreed that the transition will be difficult to ACC ball, but JG3 will get there.

I think physically he will be able to do it, but there could be an adjustment to the competition level in that regard.

I’m curious how he did in AAU in that regard.

By all accounts he did well for Albany City Rocks and played EYBL.

All well and good. Kaleb Joseph looked great in tapes too. Hopeful but not ready to go all in until I see it in Syracuse game action.

Kaleb Joseph also had his career derailed by one of the greatest exoduses of talent Syracuse has seen. Thankful Jalen was given a reasonable learning curve his freshman year, itll pay off.

Kaleb Joseph also had his career derailed by one of the greatest exoduses of talent Syracuse has seen. Thankful Jalen was given a reasonable learning curve his freshman year, itll pay off.

Eh. We can blame his freshman year struggles on that. It’s not like it’s football and he was David Carr getting gun shy after being sacked way too many times. He had 3 more years after that to do something, and he never did...at Cuse, or Creighton.

JC will start. Goodine will be his primary backup. G3 will play the 2 and will get a limited run at PG especially against the Zone D teams. One combination that is interesting is G3 and Buddy with Hughes Guerrier and Netherlands at Center. 5 guys who can all shoot it well.

Marek is the best passer on the team. Sure he can’t dribble like a point guard, but neither could Frank.

So, let’s try Marek at PG, because.....

Imagine the LENGTH in the ZONE! Sure, we’ll suck on offense but NOBODY would score on us!

JC will start. Goodine will be his primary backup. G3 will play the 2 and will get a limited run at PG especially against the Zone D teams. One combination that is interesting is G3 and Buddy with Hughes Guerrier and Netherlands at Center. 5 guys who can all shoot it well.

Or how about Marek at center in the high post , passing to Guerrier, Hughes, Buddy and JG3?

The thing about Joe Girard is he is used to having a ball in his hands but focused more on getting his own shots versus finding his teammates. He is above average at getting his shot off off the dribble which is a good skill of a point guard where someone like Cooney or Andy was not as getting his shot off the dribble

how do you know? You are comparing what Cooney and Andy were able to do in major division 1 vs what Girard was able to do in high school. I bet if you could go back and watch Cooney and Andy in highschool during their senior years, they'd looked like Michael Jordan

I think Carey's ceiling is "Jason Hart." Meaning I think he can establish himself as the team's clear-cut starting point guard and cocky team leader, albeit while driving us insane with his occasional recklessness.
Well, Jason was 1st team All Conference as a senior, a 2nd round pick, and a ten year NBA guy. He also led the big east in minutes as a freshman.
I just didn't see that in Carey last year, but I hope his positivity and maturity allow him to improve to at least be servicable this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom