Point guard | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Point guard

Incidentally, Goodine averaged 19.2 in EYBL, shot 38% from three and averaged twice as many assists per game as Girard. Yet we hardly hear him mentioned. Oh, yeah, he was also ranked over 100 spots ahead of Girard.

Incidentally, Goodine averaged 19.2 in EYBL, shot 38% from three and averaged twice as many assists per game as Girard. Yet we hardly hear him mentioned. Oh, yeah, he was also ranked over 100 spots ahead of Girard.

Hardly see him mentioned where?

Not on this forum -- the perception I have is that most posters are EXTREMELY excited about Goodine's potential.

Lots of solid and very different skill sets.

That's why it's going to be hard for Boeheim to cut this team's rotation down to only 7 guys by March.

Hardly see him mentioned where?

Not on this forum -- the perception I have is that most posters are EXTREMELY excited about Goodine's potential.
Goodine and Quincy are the two kids coming in I feel that everyone is high on. I think JG3 gets talked about more just because he is very polarizing. There are people who think he plays very little the first 2 years because of the competition he goes up against. I'm in that camp. Then there are the people who seem focused on the amount of points he scored.

Stop this nonsense about Girard “proving” anything in high school. He played the lowest level of ball in NYS, against guys whose future in D1 would be intramurals. In the Peach Jam, where he played vs D1 prospects in an actual team setting (not a defense optional AllStar game) he shot 30% from 3 and had 22 turnovers to 21 assists. Sound like an ACC level point guard to you?
The only point I disagree with here is that he didn't prove anything in high school? If you compare the roster he won a Class B state and federation title with to the supporting cast Jordan Roland had at Westhill for their dominant streak its even more amazing that he went on that run.

He might not have the ball handling ability to be an ACC level point guard yet but watching him play and looking at his stats from this year I don't think anyone can argue that he's not one of the best shooters in this class nationwide. Even then if you think he's backing down from anyone Duke or UNC throws at him you're crazy because his competitiveness and drive are enough, to me, to at least give him a chance to get some run his freshman year.

The only point I disagree with here is that he didn't prove anything in high school? If you compare the roster he won a Class B state and federation title with to the supporting cast Jordan Roland had at Westhill for their dominant streak its even more amazing that he went on that run.

He might not have the ball handling ability to be an ACC level point guard yet but watching him play and looking at his stats from this year I don't think anyone can argue that he's not one of the best shooters in this class nationwide. Even then if you think he's backing down from anyone Duke or UNC throws at him you're crazy because his competitiveness and drive are enough, to me, to at least give him a chance to get some run his freshman year.
Jordan Rolland is not playing in the ACC. He went to George Washington and then transferred to Northeastern. JG3 will become as serviceable shooter that can come off the bench but these people who think he comes in and beats out JC and Goodine and is the 2nd coming of Gerry McNamara are putting unrealistic expectations on the kid that I don't think are possible.

Jordan Rolland is not playing in the ACC. He went to George Washington and then transferred to Northeastern. JG3 will become as serviceable shooter that can come off the bench but these people who think he comes in and beats out JC and Goodine and is the 2nd coming of Gerry McNamara are putting unrealistic expectations on the kid that I don't think are possible.
I know where Jordan Roland plays, he as the second leading scorer on a tournament team from a good mid-major conference, I'm just saying that JG3 did just as much with considerably less than Roland did. What he accomplished absolutely proves something, scoring the amount of points he did at the state level is impressive no matter what level of competition he was playing. I don't think he beats either of them out to start at point guard but it's not far fetched by any to think he gets some run this season.

I know where Jordan Roland plays, he as the second leading scorer on a tournament team from a good mid-major conference, I'm just saying that JG3 did just as much with considerably less than Roland did. What he accomplished absolutely proves something, scoring the amount of points he did at the state level is impressive no matter what level of competition he was playing. I don't think he beats either of them out to start at point guard but it's not far fetched by any to think he gets some run this season.
I don't think the kid is a bum. He is a competitive kid with great shooting range. I like the kid and wanted him to do well. I think he will contribute over time and have value. I think his larger problem is Buddy Boeheim. Buddy is 4-5 inches taller and is a better shooter. I think JG3 is more athletic but JG3 won't be the point guard with the ball in his hand. That will be Carey or Goodine.

I don't think the kid is a bum. He is a competitive kid with great shooting range. I like the kid and wanted him to do well. I think he will contribute over time and have value. I think his larger problem is Buddy Boeheim. Buddy is 4-5 inches taller and is a better shooter. I think JG3 is more athletic but JG3 won't be the point guard with the ball in his hand. That will be Carey or Goodine.
For sure. If the roster holds as it is for the next couple of seasons it would be beneficial for him JG3 if Buddy adds some muscle and an inch or two and can spend some time at the bottom of the zone. A lineup with Buddy, JG3, Goodine, Hughes, would be lethal from range

Personally, I think he could be like our version of Spike Albrecht [just to make a non-SU recent comparison]. A guy who can flat out shoot the rock, who improves as a playmaker over time, and likely comes off the bench.

If his playmaking is better than that, or if he is able to translate football toughness over to defense, then maybe he ends up as a starter down the road.

But on a team that has lacked bench firepower for several years, "just" being able to score in a reserve capacity is a role that shouldn't be sneezed at [not saying you are, cuseinseattle -- just making a general statement].

Personally, I think he could be like our version of Spike Albrecht [just to make a non-SU recent comparison]. A guy who can flat out shoot the rock, who improves as a playmaker over time, and likely comes off the bench.

If his playmaking is better than that, or if he is able to translate football toughness over to defense, then maybe he ends up as a starter down the road.

But on a team that has lacked bench firepower for several years, "just" being able to score in a reserve capacity is a role that shouldn't be sneezed at [not saying you are, cuseinseattle -- just making a general statement].
I agree. The kid can shoot no doubt. Having an extra guard who can shoot has great value. He is also more athletic than Buddy in my opinion so year 2 and 3 if we play a team that Buddy can't stay in front of on defense like when we played Baylor in the tourney he could play some minutes that are very important.

I feel the point guard position will sort itself out. Plenty of interesting options. The position I wonder about is center. Sidibe's knees? Can Bol Ajak or Edwards play defense or are they Taurean Thompson types? Will we be using Dolezaj there again? I think we are OK elsewhere.

I feel the point guard position will sort itself out. Plenty of interesting options. The position I wonder about is center. Sidibe's knees? Can Bol Ajak or Edwards play defense or are they Taurean Thompson types? Will we be using Dolezaj there again? I think we are OK elsewhere.
I think it will be a steady diet of Marek in the beginning of the year and I think Edwards come on as the year goes on. I don't trust the health of Sidibe at all until I see different. He moved so well before he got here. Really a brutal blow what has happened to him. Feel terribly for the kid. I think we have Jalen and Buddy start with Goodine playing big minutes as the 3 guards who play the most.

I think it will be a steady diet of Marek in the beginning of the year and I think Edwards come on as the year goes on. I don't trust the health of Sidibe at all until I see different. He moved so well before he got here. Really a brutal blow what has happened to him. Feel terribly for the kid. I think we have Jalen and Buddy start with Goodine playing big minutes as the 3 guards who play the most.

What about Bol Ajak?

Anyone expect Ajak to start as a freshman? Name one guy rated higher than 180 who started for SU as a freshman.

Buddy Boeheim started some games. And even in a lot of the ones where he came off the bench, he played more than Howard. What was he ranked? 300?

Not sure what Baye Keita was ranked but it was definitely lower than 100...I wanna say 150 range? He was in effect the starter. Fab Melo was mostly a token starter (2 minutes and then yanked for Keita) that year.

If I recall, Brandon Triche was lower than 100 too. We all knew he was good though.

Not sure there’s a lot of difference once you beyond a certain point. 120, 150, 180, 200?

What about Bol Ajak?
He could have a role as well if Sidibe can't go. It could very well be him and Edwards at the 5 with Marek/Eli/QG at the wings with Braswell also getting some run there. I think he doesn't play a role as much until year 2 though.

I’ve fallen in love w the idea of having a “clutch” floor general leading the Orange again. The sheer amount of points he put up, the championships - it all feels like Gmac reincarnated. Extremely compelling story line. How quickly can he adapt to the college competition coming from dominating the Glens Falls HS level? I have a hunch that PG1 is a competition that this guy will want to win - and he likes competing and he likes winning.

Take all of that and put the cherry of unlimited range on top.
I love the competitive attitude, but has he ever had to compete against someone as good or better?

Howard is a general. Everyone else is a scorer 1st
Howard needs to stay healthy long enough to develop further, we really haven’t even had the visibility to pin point what kind of player he is vs ACC talent.

One of the biggest hurdles for Girard will be understanding that he cannot become a Syracuse version of Jimmer. Going from being a volume shooter to being a far more team oriented player won't happen overnight.

Maybe some year in the future.
I really believe he’s ready because he appears very mature for his age. Although totally diff games he is cool and calm like Ennis We shall see

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom