Polls (3/28/22): Media #18 / Coaches #18 | Syracusefan.com

Polls (3/28/22): Media #18 / Coaches #18

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
624195d2b82ba.jpg

It’s clear who’s No. 1. The only unbeaten team in men’s DI, Maryland (8-0), kept rolling with a decisive league win last night.

There’s a cluttered core of teams right behind them in the Men's DI Media Poll. Virginia, Georgetown, Penn, Princeton, Rutgers and Cornell battling for the same spots in that mix.

Yale moves to No. 8 from 14 after taking down Princeton, and Harvard entered the Top 10 — so that means five of the Top 10 teams in the Media Poll are from the Ivy League.

Other moves and shakers include:
  • Notre Dame fell to No. 15 from 10. The Irish are 2-4 and lost to Virginia on Saturday.
  • Syracuse is back in the Top 20 at No. 18 following a win against Duke
  • Villanova is back in the Top 20 following a strong offensive output vs. Delaware
Check out the full Men's DI Media Poll.

1. Maryland (23)
2. Virginia
3. Georgetown
4. Penn
5. Rutgers

18. Syracuse

FO8IxrIX0AYgPps

16) Syracuse (4-4)​

Syracuse swagger is back. Tucker Dordevic’s between the legs goal led ESPN’s Sportscenter Top 10 plays on Saturday night. The Oregon native was the man of the match, finishing with five goals. This was by far, the best 60 minutes SU has shown this season. They outshot Duke 61-33. They won the clearing, ground balls, face-offs, extra man, and turnover categories. Defender Brett Kennedy continues to catch my eye. He’s a PLL player for sure. The shorties of Carter Rice, Brett Barlow, and Brandon Aviles have taken a step forward. FOGO Jakob Phaup won some key draws in the fourth quarter as Duke was trying to make a run. The loyal 4,728 fans in Syracuse soaked up the success.

The Orange are 4-4 with a low RPI at #21 meaning there is still much work to do, and the schedule provides coach Gary Gait the opportunity to climb the ranks. Matteo Corsi scored twice and Tyler Cordes dished out two assists. The cupboard isn’t deep at SU and they’ll need role players to continue to show up.

They are at ND on Saturday at 2pm on ESPNU with Chris Cotter and Paul Carcaterra.

Last edited:
Can’t remember where the RPI discussion was, but how much would beating Notre Dame improve Cuse’s RPI? All of Notre Dame’s losses were to good teams, but they were still all losses.

Not suggesting this game doesn’t matter, because of course it does, just wondering how much more ground Cuse would need to make up if it does beat Notre Dame.

Can’t remember where the RPI discussion was, but how much would beating Notre Dame do for Cuse’s RPI? All of Notre Dame’s losses were to good teams, but they were still all losses.

It also depends on what everyone else does this week, so that's a difficult thing to project. ND is currently RPI #16 and Syracuse is currently RPI #21. A win would probably improve Syracuse to around the 15th range in RPI.

I personally think Syracuse's scenario is pretty simple. 6-8 or worse = not NCAA eligible. 8-6 or better = definitely in NCAA tournament. 7-7 = bubble and depends on what everyone else does.

This is turning into a very unpredictable season compared to recent years. Given the mediocre performances by ACC teams other than UVA, Cuse may have a real chance to win a couple of their remaining ACC games. If they show up the way they did against Duke, they have a legit chance to knock off Cornell as well. On paper, they should beat Albany but will be a road game this time around.

I agree with fieldystick - 7-7 may well be enough to squeak in but I think 8-6 is definitely good enough.

Thanks Fieldystick . 8-6 gonna be difficult.. Would 7-7 need to include a win over a UNC, Cornell or UVA? ND is still imo a very good team despite current record. Gave Maryland their highest game despite fogo problems at time

FO9i_GwWQAgkOxN

Early in the season, the challenge in this exercise of ranking teams is knowing who’s good. That’s an obvious statement, but what I specifically mean is that, in the first few weeks, it’s hard to know whether a win qualifies as “good” based on the combination of prior year performance, talent assessment and a one- or two-game sample size. At this point in the season, the challenge is identifying what a team has become in recent weeks. Teams are not static — they improve, they stagnate, they regress, they battle against fatigue, frustration and infighting, they benefit from good vibes and increased confidence. It can be hard to balance properly assessing what a team is now with its season-long performance.

Syracuse is a great example of this. I did not include them in my Top 20 this week, though many did coming off their win over Duke. How good is that Duke win? The Blue Devils have now lost to Jacksonville, Penn and Loyola (in addition to the Orange), and their best wins are over Denver, Richmond and High Point. The Greyhounds, who I also excluded from this week’s Top 20, have a very similar resume to ’Cuse — both have lost to Army, Hopkins and Maryland, each has a win over the Blue Devils and their second-best win is pretty equivalent: Loyola’s Bucknell win is probably better than ’Cuse’s Stony Brook or Hobart wins, but the Orange have one additional W.

To the extent that this exercise requires examining the team on the field, as opposed to just their body of work, Patrick McEwen pointed out that the Orange defense has skyrocketed up the efficiency ratings over the last three games (and that accounts for SOS, so exclude that argument) and, given they started two different goalies in those three games, credit is due to the likes of Grant Murphy, Nick Caccamo, Brett Kennedy, Brandon Aviles, Sam Olexo (whose playmaking has been awesome; I have him among the most underrated players in the country at this point) and others. At the offensive end, where their issues stemmed from being too reliant on Tucker Dordevic and Brendan Curry, Dan Arestia pointed out that Matteo Corsi and Mikey Berkman have improved significantly in recent weeks, and those guys have stepped up in the wake of injuries to Lucas Quinn and Griffin Cook.

The Orange are 21st in RPI, which means they’re not currently a quality win by the NCAA Tournament selection committee standards and, as we also discussed on the Tailgate, don’t expect the normal “end of season ACC teams’ RPI improvement” with which we’re so familiar to occur this year — the ACC’s conference RPI lags behind the Ivy League’s and the Big Ten’s. Check out that conversation.

This is turning into a very unpredictable season compared to recent years. Given the mediocre performances by ACC teams other than UVA, Cuse may have a real chance to win a couple of their remaining ACC games. If they show up the way they did against Duke, they have a legit chance to knock off Cornell as well. On paper, they should beat Albany but will be a road game this time around.

I agree with fieldystick - 7-7 may well be enough to squeak in but I think 8-6 is definitely good enough.

If the team continues to improve you have to like their chances of going 3-3 in league play which I def would have signed up for at the begining of the season. ND may be a little better than their record says right now but to me this is absolutley a winnable game, and frankly after the 2 embarrasments the Irish gave Syracuse last year I hope the team hasn't forgotten that.

At this point there is no denying the ACC is not as strong as last year, based on records, eye test, rpi, however you want to look at it. If I was going primarily by the eye test right now, the ACC looks something like

1. UVA
2. ND
3. Cuse
4. UNC
5. Duke

At the beginning of the year, I thought our record by now would be at least one game better (winning at least one of the Army or Hop games), but I also thought we would still be dead last by any measure in ACC rankings. So now we dug a hole for ourselves, but I think a 8-6 record is far from impossible due to the weaker ACC.

I think we have a serious chance to win at UNC. They were gutted of all their dodging talent outside of gray last offseason and appear to have found no quick fix with their younger players. On top of that the D without Bowen is looking weak. I think we win at UAlbany, but the stony brook result is a reminder not to take them lightly. I also think we have a serious chance to win against Cornell in the Dome. They are a strong team, but think their record makes them look a little better than they are, and they do struggle at the faceoff X. Then it comes down to if we can steal one against NDx2 and UVA in the dome. As others have said, I am no less intimidated by ND despite their record, but we get two shots, we have revenge on our minds, and they have shown some signs of regression/low confidence. If not next week, maybe we bring the pain when they return to the Dome. Just a question of which cuse team shows up to play!

I’m definitely no RPI expert or Bracketologist, but it really feels like SU needs at least to split the series against ND for a chance at the playoffs. Most people are predicting the ACC to be a two (maybe three) bid league. By process of elimination that means Syracuse has to jump the other teams in front of them starting with the Irish. I have no idea how things look if they split the two games but it can’t help to lose them both. Here’s hoping the first win comes this weekend.

I’m definitely no RPI expert or Bracketologist, but it really feels like SU needs at least to split the series against ND for a chance at the playoffs. Most people are predicting the ACC to be a two (maybe three) bid league. By process of elimination that means Syracuse has to jump the other teams in front of them starting with the Irish. I have no idea how things look if they split the two games but it can’t help to lose them both. Here’s hoping the first win comes this weekend.

To have any chance at a winning season less the tourney SU has to at minimum split the ND series, period. ND hasn't looked quite right all year, very talented team but O isn't as good as it was last year and they miss the FOGO duo that graduated. They are ripe for the picking this week but I worry about that 10 man ride and SU turning it over and playing sloppy again.

To have any chance at a winning season less the tourney SU has to at minimum split the ND series, period. ND hasn't looked quite right all year, very talented team but O isn't as good as it was last year and they miss the FOGO duo that graduated. They are ripe for the picking this week but I worry about that 10 man ride and SU turning it over and playing sloppy again.
Get it up and out immediately and/or shoot from midfield. Make them pay for the 10 man.

Tough schedule so far so somewhat dismissing record but not sure what is story with them. Kavanaugh its still elite and young Kav is following in his footstep but Westlin is really struggling and they miss Yorke. Their mids other than Dobson are also struggling but you know Jacobice is good. They had their chances on Saturday but mids shot inaccurately and Nunes who was really good stuffed Kavanaugh a few times at crease after he beat Kastner . Byrne d scheme is still in place and overall team d is solid but doesn't appear as special as years past and their sog % has risen . Their 3rd defender is sown replaced by transfer Douglas who I think is good. Boyer might have injured himself in game but hopefully not . Shellenberger did his normal agaisnt Reynolds who is good and whoever was covering Shukltz couldn't handle. That kid is a monster. Entenman hasn't been as sharp this year but he has a long track history and can be as good as any goalie on any day . Young fogo is coming around after a slow star. He actually got the better of LaScalla. Cuse is going to have to be sharp as JC said because that team will be desperate and Corrif=gan will have them ready

I think 3. But outside of Virginia, who knows with these teams. I can easily foresee a scenario where literally every ACC team aside from Virginia is right around the cut line.

There's still a ton of variables - particularly with who gets the AQs in the Ivy League and Big East (and I guess maybe also the Big Ten... but ain't nobody beating Maryland), my current guess is:

Ivy League - 4 teams (AQ + 3)
Big Ten - 3 teams (AQ + 2)
ACC - 3 teams

as the eight at-larges. Denver winning out and then losing the Big East championship game to Georgetown (possible Denver at-large) or Georgetown not getting the Big East AQ period (very likely Georgetown at-large), is the most likely scenario that I see where an at-large comes from outside these three conferences.

I usually don't post my own bracket stuff because I feel like I'm self promoting, but anyway... take a look at the teams listed below in the bubble range - and then add in Harvard & Notre Dame and remove Jacksonville (they have no chance for an at-large come May), and I think those are the teams that we're really discussing.

As always, I'm happy to (try to) answer anyone's questions about Syracuse's or anyone else's NCAA chances as we head into April. But I really do things are quite simple for 'Cuse this year unless they end up at .500.

FO8yahtXIAgDfbl.png

Last edited:
My calculations say, without any other results occurring, that Syracuse beating Notre Dame would raise Syracuse's RPI about .0116, which would place them at #19.

I would access Syracuse's chances at
9-5 - probably in
8-6 - could make it, but probably wouldn't
7-7 - watching on TV

8-6 - could make it, but probably wouldn't

It's not worth getting in the weeds of hypotheticals yet, but at 8 wins, either

A) Syracuse has 4 ACC wins and is likely #2 in the ACC standings, or
B) Syracuse has 3 ACC wins and a win over Cornell, which is probably even more impressive.

I would be very surprised if Syracuse does not make the NCAA tournament in either of these cases.

At this point there is no denying the ACC is not as strong as last year, based on records, eye test, rpi, however you want to look at it. If I was going primarily by the eye test right now, the ACC looks something like

1. UVA
2. ND
3. Cuse
4. UNC
5. Duke
I am a little skeptical of your ranking Notre Dame (2-4) as 2nd in the ACC. What is that based on quality losses?

I am a little skeptical of your ranking Notre Dame (2-4) as 2nd in the ACC. What is that based on quality losses?
Just going off of how I think things will look in the end/eye test. Basically think nobody in 2-5 in the ACC is looking that great now for one reason or another. NDs OSU loss is the only one that is looking a little questionable. The others are top 5 teams. They haven't done anything as bad as us losing to Hop and Army. They gave MD their toughest challenge yet and we know MDs offense is usually capable of much higher numbers. Think they are more likely to figure it out on offense than Duke or UNC as the depth of talent is there. The D has limited teams to average numbers in every game besides Georgetown.

agree that nd is 2nd best acc team, one that can lift quickly if their mid group gets going now that fogo is settling hopefully it isn't this week. Leery of the youngster Angrick suddenly emerging... Cuse scrimmaged osu n based off reads it was surprising they beating unc n nd. Not sure why acc has stumbled in 1st half os season but expecting nd to be much better by year end

ND did lose by 5 at home to Georgetown and were actually down 12-5 to UVA with a couple of minutes to go when UVA pulled its starters. So those losses were not that close.

UNC did have the bad loss to OSU but otherwise things look good. A loss to UVa, and top 20 RPI wins over Brown, Hopkins Richmond, and Denver.

From what I've seen so far I'd put UNC is the #2 spot in the ACC. No matter how you look at it, there's a solid gap between UVA and everyone else in the league but I think when they've been on the Heels have looked better than ND. And as good of a player is Kavanaugh is I'm sorry Chris Gray is just on a different level then him this season and I'm not seeing the Irish have that kind of player so far this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom