Polls (4/24/23): Media #15 / Coaches #19 | Syracusefan.com

Polls (4/24/23): Media #15 / Coaches #19

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
644687a009487.jpg

Johns Hopkins is up to No. 4 in the Men’s DI Media Poll after its rivalry win.

The Blue Jays beat Maryland, 12-11, in a dramatic matchup in College Park. Co-Big Ten champion Penn State is at No. 5, as start of the Big Ten Tournament looms this weekend.

The top three teams in Week 11 come from the ACC, as Notre Dame leads the way with 20 of 21 first-place votes, followed by Duke and Virginia.

The Terps fall to No. 7. A Big East contingent hovers around 10, with Georgetown at 8, Denver at 10 and Villanova at 11.

Rutgers, Syracuse and North Carolina all experienced drops, and Jacksonville is out of the Top 20 entirely; Princeton and Yale were among movers upward. As a sign of clarity over the course of the season, only five teams are receiving votes.

Check out the full Men’s DI Media Poll here:

RankTeamPoints
1Notre Dame (9 - 1)419 (20)
2Duke (11 - 2)400 (1)
3Virginia (9 - 3)376
4Johns Hopkins (11 - 4)340
5Penn State (9 - 3)334
15Syracuse (8-6)125

Fug5CD9WIAISlYA

FufJyd0WAAAeg2c

Last edited:
Fue5r2xXsAEacJj

15) Syracuse

“Head, heart and hustle” had clearing issues in the first half of last weeks UNC win and they resurfaced at Virginia. With Saam Alexo playing close defense, the Orange struggled to advance the ball in a 19-14 defeat. Faceoffs were not the issue. Defense was. Two of their close defenders will be doing time when the season ends, because they’re repeat offenders. The defensive plan at UVA didn’t work.

Otto (8-6) is at Duke next (1:00pm Saturday). The season is on the brink, the last chance to grab a quality win. Duke is coming into this game off a bye week.

Last edited:
I assume Quint is talking about Kol and Clary in his comment? Interesting, feels like he doesn't call out individual players (and doesn't go all the way by listing their names).

Hopkins and Penn State are interesting examples of programs returning to respectability and top 10 type status. You notice I didn't say top 5 - I'm not convinced they are at that level. Hop has taken about 4-5 years to get back under Milliman. PS has taken 3 years and is a completely different team from the one that dazzled on offense back in 2018 and 2019, with a defensive focus now. I think the current Cuse team has more talent and could give both Hop and PS a serious battle at this point in the season BUT the sloppiness, face-offs and defensive problems would result in losses IMO. Our game against Hop earlier this season doesn't mean much given that Hop has clearly improved and we MAY have.

If Gait/Petro are the right coaches for this program, 2024 should be the year for us to truly "make it back" which would be 3 years from 2021. That's a big "if".

jhu hired milliman in april 2020. this is his 3rd year there
You are correct about Milliman. My reference to 5 years was wrong. I was thinking about 3 or 4 when people started looking for Petro to be fired which started in 2019 ? when they went 8-8.

I assume Quint is talking about Kol and Clary in his comment? Interesting, feels like he doesn't call out individual players (and doesn't go all the way by listing their names).

Unsure who exactly Quint is referencing but if it's Clary its a bizarre take. He was the teams #1 defender earlier in the year before he got hurt and he's been hurt a good chunk of the year and UVA was his first real game back. If he's making the point SU needs more talent at pole he's not necessarily wrong but the scheme itself also isn't working.

Unsure who exactly Quint is referencing but if it's Clary its a bizarre take. He was the teams #1 defender earlier in the year before he got hurt and he's been hurt a good chunk of the year and UVA was his first real game back. If he's making the point SU needs more talent at pole he's not necessarily wrong but the scheme itself also isn't working.
Quint seems to just say the first things that pop into his head in these write ups. Not a game where we had trouble "advancing the ball." Went 18-19 on the clear, granted the one turnover we had there they immediately capitalized. If he wants to say we turned the ball over too much that would be more accurate.

I feel he talking bout clary and kol which if watch game those two were just bad positioning and decisions all game. Clary ball watching way to much. I’d like to see defense maby not slide for bit. Let dudes beat guys before actually start sliding. Seems we always slide when no guy is beat or even angle worth sliding to either. Now play duke may be needed in this game but offball d was just horrible. Curious who we put on o’neil as with clary coming back from injury i would advise against him. Olexo clearly prob take mcadory and after kol showing vs uva be iffy putting him on dysob as dysob is offball finisher n one of best. Like to see maby give dwan a shot at o’neil but either way need someone to match o’neil. Hopefully someone that will just nonstop check dudes hands n body o’neil as if very physical with o’neil he doesn’t push it much. As soon as he knows ur scared or won’t play that style he will take ya all day. Fake just bodied him up when they played and he wasn’t much of factor if remembering correctly.

Besides rooting for cuse win will also sadly hate to have to say it be rooting for ohio st to beat michigan. Maryland taking care of rutgers is another that does not feel good to have to root for maryland win. Truely makes me feel sick to stomach to hope for maryland dub. As don’t think there’s team besides duke of course that i dislike more then maryland. Duke absolutely can’t stand but maryland is right there also.

I would think root for Harvard to beat Yale.. That knocks Yale out of the IVY tourney and Harvard would have to win it to get in.

I dont think can Yale get in finishing 5th in the iyy?

Besides rooting for cuse win will also sadly hate to have to say it be rooting for ohio st to beat michigan. Maryland taking care of rutgers is another that does not feel good to have to root for maryland win. Truely makes me feel sick to stomach to hope for maryland dub. As don’t think there’s team besides duke of course that i dislike more then maryland. Duke absolutely can’t stand but maryland is right there also.

Honestly if your basis of hating those teams is strictly as a Syracuse lacrosse fan I find that odd but I assume you have your reasons. At least Duke is a conference rival but personally I respect Danowski as a coach. I would think Hopkins or UVA would be at the top of any Cuse fan's list too but ND has become enemy #1 for me.

Interesting seeing Michigan as high as #14 in the Coaches Poll. That would seem like a high water mark for them this late in the season. Finishing 2-3 in the Big Ten is also a high water mark.

Honestly if your basis of hating those teams is strictly as a Syracuse lacrosse fan I find that odd but I assume you have your reasons. At least Duke is a conference rival but personally I respect Danowski as a coach. I would think Hopkins or UVA would be at the top of any Cuse fan's list too but ND has become enemy #1 for me.
I do have my reasons for duke and maryland and have nothing against danowaki or even his son my hate for duke was before he coached there. Maryland also have reasons but do not like their coach tho think he is a good coach but think he pulls scumbag tricks at times and think prior to shot clock era their style of play was to waste as much time as possible when have lead. To give one reason and prob least personal one recently why duke is watching them in hometown philly them beating syracuse in chip 2013 and celebrating. Maryland is very personal as when i played they looked down and treated me unfairly cause i came from using their terms “non hotbed” but what really think was “poor”. But have other reasons also.

Another reason for duke was the whole “stripper sex rape scandal” and how they treated their players and coach before any information came out and just assumed guilty. These arnt only reason just ones to give examples is all.

Uva i have no issues with and absolutely love their coach lars as he recruited me and met him many times. He is awesome coach and all around great dude. Nd is also on my list but duke and maryland is a very deep deep dark hatred if wondered lol.

Not sure if he still tells them but lars used to tell some sick nasty jokes lol. First met him when was assistant coach for penn state(family school). The year i was graduating lars was taking coaching job at stony brook. Which was one of my choices of schools to go to because of him.

Lars and mike murphy(also met in my high school days) have the upt most respect for. Mike murphy during tryout for some big travel team told me was looked over not cause of skill but cause of school i went to and he loved my effort and determination and pulled hard to get me but ultimately the other coaches thought school i went to other coaches thought haven’t played against enough tough competition to handle it.

Sorry didn’t mean to tell little of my life story.

No worries I appreciate how thorough your posts usually are. Didn't realize you played at the high D1 level if you have mentioned it before, that's awesome!

i have not mention cause i did not play at D1 level. I was a D1 level recruit guess can say. As had d1 schools could of went to and play like Denver/albany/stony brook/bucknell we’re main D1 schools had chance. I ultimately due for personal family reason decided not to go to school or play(always kinda regret it at times) but have my wife and son so always look at it as if went then wouldn’t have them now. Grant i do kick myself as tierney went to denver year or two after i graduated high school. As denver coach that recruited me was jamie munro. So would been cool to play for tierney but had no way of knowing he be there. So mean yes these schools were D1 but they weren’t yet where they are now ya know.

But i have played with and against many d1 and pro players thoughtout. Nika almaty was goalie for one team i played on. I played vs drew adams in high school. Westy hopkins from nd played against. Been a decent amount of guys actually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom