Polls (4/25/22): Media NR / Coaches NR | Syracusefan.com

Polls (4/25/22): Media NR / Coaches NR

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
626698175f09a.jpg

Brown is up to No. 5 in the Week 11 Men’s DI Media Poll.

Bruno’s run has included three-straight Top 10 wins against Ivy League teams with wins over Penn, Yale and Cornell. It’s created a crowded field atop the Ivy standings, where five teams are all 3-2 heading into the final games of the season. Brown was previously No. 14.

There are three Ivy teams in the Top 10 with Brown, Princeton (7) and Yale (9). Harvard was the big riser this week, going up to No. 12 from 17 after beating the Tigers.

Cornell and Army fell way back, North Carolina is now at No. 19, and the number of teams receiving votes is at a sparse six as the rankings become clearer.

Maryland, as it has been since Week 1, is the unanimous and crystal-clear No. 1.

Georgetown, Rutgers and Virginia are next.

Check out the full Men’s DI Media Poll.

1. Maryland (21)
2. Georgetown
3. Rutgers
4. Virginia
5. Brown

Opine that Quint has it right with the three acc teams in front of ivies or b10's other than Maryland.
All three at this stage are more capable of beating the top two , imo ND is the most complete acc squad despite their loss to UVA when their mids are involved and Entenman is on. UVA and Duke have the firepower but see holes in their defenses that Maryland would exploit.

Other than Maryland, I don't think it matters where anyone is ranked. Going to be a great tournament.

Opine that Quint has it right with the three acc teams in front of ivies or b10's other than Maryland.
All three at this stage are more capable of beating the top two , imo ND is the most complete acc squad despite their loss to UVA when their mids are involved and Entenman is on. UVA and Duke have the firepower but see holes in their defenses that Maryland would exploit.

ND can easily reach Memorial Day weekend.

If we beat ND this week, ND can easily get left out.

Part of me hopes only 2 ACC teams get in just so people finally shut the hell up about ACC bias. You do well out of conference early and nothing too weird happens in conference, and bam you get what is happening with the ivy league this year with quality wins building up higher and higher due to teams quality RPIs going into conference play. The amount of mouth breathers who to this day think it was all just ACC bias is simply hilarious.

Just one man's opinion, but I don't think any Ivy team is going to do that hot in the tourney. Maybe Brown has truly found their footing and makes a run. There have been years like this with the ACC with little to know teams passing the eye test down the stretch but still getting that high tourney seed due to RPI. 2018 comes to mind. Don't have any facts and figures on that year so go easy on me experts!

My opinion is Quint is a bit of an ACC shill. He does a lot of ACC games on the tube. OSU beat ND.

Who has a legit chance to defeat Maryland in the tourney?

I guess I would say Georgetown because of their FOGO/Goalie combo. Really good defense but not that deep offensively.

I think the Bonnies have the best chance :cool: They could face Maryland in the first round and pull the upset as Maryland will be overconfident. Also, don't the Bonnies have D1's best goalie in Dobson (who hasn't played a top team) according to some pundits.

My opinion is Quint is a bit of an ACC shill. He does a lot of ACC games on the tube. OSU beat ND.

-I get why an eye test sort of list would drop Rutgers a little right now, following two 1 goal scares from arguably the two worst teams in the big 10 and not putting up a serious fight against MD. OSU with a couple close ones against bottom tier big 10, crushed by Rutgers, solid showing but still a 7 goal loss to MD, Denver and Cornell losses not aging super well after Cornell's last couple games.

-Top of the ivy going through it a little too with Princeton losing to a Harvard team that was not looking so hot the last three weeks (two ivy losses and a head scratching 7-6 victory over 3-9 colgate). Week before they only beat Dartmouth by 2. Yale getting pretty easily handled by Brown who has some questionable losses, but Brown is on a serious streak right now. Overall I think those teams are looking about as strong as the top of the ACC and should be mixed in with them in the rankings.

-Not sure where Im going with this really, but I guess I do not totally disagree with quint if you are predicting success in the tourney. Fortunately the selection comitee are not acc shills contrary to popular belief.

One thing with ND is im not entirely sold on the offense. Surprisingly they have not gotten much out of their middies outside of Dobson, despite a boatload of guys who look solid. UNC short sticks were doing a pretty solid job. Chris Kavanaugh and Taylor are also not elite dodgers as of yet. I honestly thought our O looked better against UNC than Notre dames did. The D may need to carry them a bit if they plan on making a serious run. Kavanaugh obviously a major talent, but does not break down his man and demand a slide on the level of other top teams go to guy. I think a top defense can get away with putting their shut down cover guy on him with orders to avoid sliding unless totally necessary.

-I get why an eye test sort of list would drop Rutgers a little right now, following two 1 goal scares from arguably the two worst teams in the big 10 and not putting up a serious fight against MD. OSU with a couple close ones against bottom tier big 10, crushed by Rutgers, solid showing but still a 7 goal loss to MD, Denver and Cornell losses not aging super well after Cornell's last couple games.

-Top of the ivy going through it a little too with Princeton losing to a Harvard team that was not looking so hot the last three weeks (two ivy losses and a head scratching 7-6 victory over 3-9 colgate). Week before they only beat Dartmouth by 2. Yale getting pretty easily handled by Brown who has some questionable losses, but Brown is on a serious streak right now. Overall I think those teams are looking about as strong as the top of the ACC and should be mixed in with them in the rankings.

-Not sure where Im going with this really, but I guess I do not totally disagree with quint if you are predicting success in the tourney. Fortunately the selection comitee are not acc shills contrary to popular belief.
One can come up with one-sided reasoning like this, but around the same time OSU was losing to Cornell, they were beating ND head-to-head.

Quint's #5 team Duke has lost to Loyola, Jacksonville, and Syracuse. Are you seriously going to put them at #5? Not me for sure.

Then you have Notre Dame's biggest win is over Duke. You use this to support ND being outstanding even though Duke has shown when they aren't playing well, they can lose to some middling teams. Notre Dame's next biggest win is over UNC, whose offense has died lately.

How can one put Princeton behind ND, when Princeton has beaten Georgetown?

Quint has just gone haywire.

One can come up with one-sided reasoning like this, but around the same time OSU was losing to Cornell, they were beating ND head-to-head.

Quint's #5 team Duke has lost to Loyola, Jacksonville, and Syracuse. Are you seriously going to put them at #5? Not me for sure.

Then you have Notre Dame's biggest win is over Duke. You use this to support ND being outstanding even though Duke has shown when they aren't playing well, they can lose to some middling teams. Notre Dame's next biggest win is over UNC, whose offense has died lately.

How can one put Princeton behind ND, when Princeton has beaten Georgetown?

Quint has just gone haywire.
Quint is not going by RPI and not factoring in early season. Just how they are looking at this time of year and who is trending well. Duke is clearly playing better than they were when they were losing to Loyola Jacksonville and Cuse. They crushed Virginia before the buy week on a level that only MD has matched, played ND even, and had zero problems with UNC. OSU and Rutgers have shown they are not on MDs level, and if you look at recent results they have not done a ton to separate themselves from the bottom of the big 10 in recent weeks. By now if you really think they are in the top 5 or something, shouldn't they be putting away teams like Michigan Hop and Penn State by a wider margin than one or two goals? Princeton beat Georgetown on March 5th. LAST WEEK they lost to Harvard and the week before only beat Dartmouth by 2. I think looking at the Georgetown win in a vacuum is one sided.

RPI/Committee does not consider goal margin or early vs late season results and I think that is overall correct. But the rest of us can look at these factors and draw some conclusions.

Because ND's 2nd half team appears to be better right now than those other teams who had stronger first halves? As Doc said, Quint is projecting and ND play has been trending up. ND frosh fogo in 1h had growing pains but now looking like he can more than hold his own agaisnt anyone . Maryland early season victory over them largely due to Wierman dominating . ND O has been more potent since the insertion of Taylor, watched them tear apart Duke d left positive impression of their o capabilities. They have the goaltender and D and the a orchestrator in Kavanaugh whose vision and pinpoint passing is as good as any besides his innate ability to make plays out of thin air. Dobson has been a constant, Jacobice has awakened some. Think key if in tourney will be getting some additional contributions from supportive talents such as Mirer, McMahon and their d of all things being able to close out tight games in 4q which they didnt do last year agaisnt Duke, UNC or Maryland .

ND is trending to get in, assuming there isn't complete chaos in the conference tournaments they probably will make it as UNC is clearly out and someone for the IVY be it Cornell or Harvard will get left out as they continue to beat each other up. Patriot is highly likely to be a 1 team league as BU despite the record doesn't have the wins. Big East would get 2 if G-town doesn't win the Tourney but hard to see them losing at this point.

Regarding Quints rankings the whole thing is a crap shoot. Yale after a great start has looked a bit shaky recently hard to know which of the Ivy team to trust. Could say the same about the ACC though as well. Duke and ND have looked better but can you really trust either team at this point? Some key games this week that will show where we are headed. Gonna be a fascinating tourney.

Gonna be bittersweet to dissect and critique other teams in tourney but going to do it because they too have imperfections that can be found.

To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail

Who has shown they can play Maryland close?
OSU did pretty well.

Duke did upset UVa, but so did Richmond

Notre Dame's win over Duke was only 2 weeks after Syracuse's win over Duke.
I can think of a certain ACC team who played MD to within 2 despite going 25% at the faceoff x... if we are considering early season results like you are with OSU...

ND is trending to get in, assuming there isn't complete chaos in the conference tournaments they probably will make it as UNC is clearly out and someone for the IVY be it Cornell or Harvard will get left out as they continue to beat each other up. Patriot is highly likely to be a 1 team league as BU despite the record doesn't have the wins. Big East would get 2 if G-town doesn't win the Tourney but hard to see them losing at this point.

Notre Dame definitely won't get in if they don't beat Duke. So talk about trending when that happens.

I think ND could miss even if they beat Duke. If Duke loses Duke's RPI probably drops from #10. ND would have 3 top 20 RPI wins: 2 over Duke and #17 UNC. Most of the other teams on the bubble would have 3 or more top 20 RPI wins. As I mention in the other thread, ND's NCAA selection SOS is only #24.

I can think of a certain ACC team who played MD to within 2 despite going 25% at the faceoff x... if we are considering early season results like you are with OSU...
As far as I know, face-offs are part of the game and losing isn't winning.

Notre Dame definitely won't get in if they don't beat Duke. So talk about trending when that happens.

I think ND could miss even if they beat Duke. If Duke loses Duke's RPI probably drops from #10. ND would have 3 top 20 RPI wins: 2 over Duke and #17 UNC. Most of the other teams on the bubble would have 3 or more top 20 RPI wins. As I mention in the other thread, ND's NCAA selection SOS is only #24.

Duke will win Sat which puts them at 11-5, and puts them in for sure on name alone. I think if ND beats Duke next Sat they probably get in, if they don't they are likely out. ND should be rooting like hell for Michigan to beat OSU this Sat, would help them out tremendously.

Duke will win Sat which puts them at 11-5, and puts them in for sure on name alone. I think if ND beats Duke next Sat they probably get in, if they don't they are likely out. ND should be rooting like hell for Michigan to beat OSU this Sat, would help them out tremendously.
I'd hate to be Harvard or OSU fighting for the last spot with Duke. It's like those 3 out of the top 20 RPI losses for Duke will just be forgotten.

OSU can be rooting for Syracuse this weekend to clear ND out of the way!

As far as I know, face-offs are part of the game and losing isn't winning.
LOL I believe I was responding to your question about who has played MD close?? Come on maaaaan this is not productive.

I freaking hate Duke UVA and ND and since RPI for us is no factor I want them to fall flat on their face and fail in a humiliating sort of way. Just don’t think it will play out like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom