Polls (Oct 16): AP #14 / Coaches #14 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Polls (Oct 16): AP #14 / Coaches #14

Not to discredit us but we’ve played 5 of 6 at home.

Its no surprise we haven’t convinced enough yet
I think we want test if AC is working. So they schedule home games early while the temperature is still high.

If we beat Clemson we'll likely jump to number 9... Right behind #8 Clemson
If we beat Clemson, we will be ahead of Clemson. But both will not in top 10. Like 11/12 or 12/13. The pollsters will say it is bad Clemson, not a good Syracuse.

I know we’re 6-0. But we havent lit the world on fire here offensively since Lville. UConn and Wagner were glorified scrimmages. Purdue beat us everywhere but the scoreboard. We hung on for dear life vs a horrid UVA team and we beat NCState without their QB.

I mean….I understand the perception, but just keep winning and the rest will take care of itself.
Stop being reasonable. There's no room for reason here.

Game will re-air tonight at 8 PM on ACCN. Hope this helps.
Thx. I see it ... but where is the ESPN replay? This game wasn't an RSN; it was on ACCN - so if the "everything streams" promises meant anything there should be an ESPN replay. What other explanation could ESPN have for refusing to make a top-20 matchup available on demand ... except a scam to get more eyeballs on ACCN? Oye.

Last edited:
Reminds me of 87 when SU had to climb up the polls and don't forget a 1 loss Oklahoma finished above SU that year. Have to win the games you play and let the chips fall as they may because all is moot once you lose for a chance at the biggest prize. Proud of the team and coaches, keep it up boys and keep playing with that chip on your shoulder each game.

I know we’re 6-0. But we havent lit the world on fire here offensively since Lville. UConn and Wagner were glorified scrimmages. Purdue beat us everywhere but the scoreboard. We hung on for dear life vs a horrid UVA team and we beat NCState without their QB.

I mean….I understand the perception, but just keep winning and the rest will take care of itself.

Spot on! Appreciate the wholesome validity/truth of this perspective.

Spot on! Appreciate the wholesome validity/truth of this perspective.

Of course you appreciate it. It has a slight sense of being negative. Right up your alley. We just became bowl eligible and are 6-0. Ranked 14th. All I see is crickets from you until your appreciation of that post.

Yeah, this is the way.

This is funny though, and reinforces how much pre-season perception matters.

If the poll was based on what's been accomplished this season we're comfortably top ten.

But it isn't. Where you start still matters at this point in the season more than what you've done.

I've reached the same conclusion. To make the playoff we need to be undefeated. I'm more optimistic in the jump we make in the polls if we pull off beating Clemson in their house.

I keep harping on this, but preseason ranking matters so much. Clemson rolls through the season, it's playoffs no questions asked. If we roll through, there will still be questions, even though we would arguably have a stronger case based on resume.

See Jake's post.

Where was Syracuse actually ranked preseason? They were picked to finish dead last in their own conference. If the AP/Coaches poll actually had a Top 50 poll, SU wouldn't have been on it. I doubt it would have been on a Top 75 poll...perhaps Top 100, but that may not even had been the case.

Syracuse is 6-0 and ranked from basically nowhere to Top 14. I'm not sure anyone with much credibility can argue truthfully and objectively any differently. Again see Jake's post...it is SO spot on!

None of our wins to date have been overly impressive either. UConn blows and Wagner blows more. UVA isn't good. Purdue is mediocre at best, and we struggled immensely to pull out a W against both, in the Dome. Louisville, is another mediocre at best team.

NCST was severely banged up coming into the Dome after having to play at Clemson and then FSU the following week. Furthermore, they had just lost their top QB 6 days prior to our game. Moreover, we had, for all intents and purposes, 3 weeks to prepare for State. With all of the advantages laid at SU's feet, it was 17-9 ( a one possession game) with 3 minutes left in the game where the outcome was still in doubt. SU converted the 3rd and 14 at the 2:55 mark and sealed the W shortly thereafter.

If we go down to Clemson this week and upset the mighty Tigers in their house, that will be mightily impressive. If that does happen, I'm confident the pollsters were deservedly catapult the Orange to Top 5 or at worse Top 7.

Yes, preseason rankings matter. However, when talking specifically about the Orange this season, based upon where we were heading into into it (not even in the stratosphere of deservedly being ranked, not to mention our recent history of being a bad football team, etc.) we are exactly in this point in time where we belong.

See Jake's post.

Where was Syracuse actually ranked preseason? They were picked to finish dead last in their own conference. If the AP/Coaches poll actually had a Top 50 poll, SU wouldn't have been on it. I doubt it would have been on a Top 75 poll...perhaps Top 100, but that may not even had been the case.

Syracuse is 6-0 and ranked from basically nowhere to Top 14. I'm not sure anyone with much credibility can argue truthfully and objectively any differently. Again see Jake's post...it is SO spot on!

None of our wins to date have been overly impressive either. UConn blows and Wagner blows more. UVA isn't good. Purdue is mediocre at best, and we struggled immensely to pull out a W against both, in the Dome. Louisville, is another mediocre at best team.

NCST was severely banged up coming into the Dome after having to play at Clemson and then FSU the following week. Furthermore, they had just lost their top QB 6 days prior to our game. Moreover, we had, for all intents and purposes, 3 weeks to prepare for State. With all of the advantages laid at SU's feet, it was 17-9 ( a one possession game) with 3 minutes left in the game where the outcome was still in doubt. SU converted the 3rd and 14 at the 2:55 mark and sealed the W shortly thereafter.

If we go down to Clemson this week and upset the mighty Tigers in their house, that will be mightily impressive. If that does happen, I'm confident the pollsters were deservedly catapult the Orange to Top 5 or at worse Top 7.

Yes, preseason rankings matter. However, when talking specifically about the Orange this season, based upon where we were heading into into it (not even in the stratosphere of deservedly being ranked, not to mention our recent history of being a bad football team, etc.) we are exactly in this point in time where we belong.
Purdue mediocre? They lead their side of the B10

See Jake's post.

Agree. Beat Clemson in Death Valley this week(that's all, lol) - And we will justify having every team with a loss in our rearview mirror(including Alabama.)

Of course you appreciate it. It has a slight sense of being negative. Right up your alley. We just became bowl eligible and are 6-0. Ranked 14th. All I see is crickets from you until your appreciation of that post.

You are an administrator of this forum. Be better.

This is where you and others like you that feel the need to make things personal in anyway, shape or form vs. simply debating/arguing the topics/discussion at hand, etc., truly unfortunate.

If my post has any "slight sense of being negative" the fact is; that's simply your thinking as you're 100% the sole owner of such property.

I liked Jake's post, other's did as well. I sincerely appreciate his post as I know how well respected he is here and I couldn't agree more with his real/honest perspective. It's as simple as that. If you want to place your "negative" label/sentiment on it vs. realism, so be it.

Edit: For what it's worth, I was in the ER in Matthews, NC from late afternoon until midnight on Saturday. It was believed appendicitis was the probability, however, to the ER doctor's surprise, the CAT scan came back negative. Sometime thereafter, I was sent home, however, advised immediately to come back in if the pain worsened as sometimes the scan is not conclusive, etc.

Yesterday, although the pain subsided, I was still not feeling great. So, yes, sometimes life gets in the way, etc. when "all you see is crickets."

Last edited:
Purdue mediocre? They lead their side of the B10

It's what I see, my opinion. They are 5-2 and have wins against Indiana St, Florida Atlantic, Minnesota, Maryland and Nebraska. I watched the Florida Atlantic game on the B1G and it took a very late 4th Q score at home to secure/win that game. I don't think they have any truly impressive wins to date. Again, my opinion. They're currently 3-1 in their conference, with W's against B1G powerhouses Minnesota, Maryland and Nebraska.

It's what I see, my opinion. They are 5-2 and have wins against Indiana St, Florida Atlantic, Minnesota, Maryland and Nebraska. I watched the Florida Atlantic game on the B1G and it took a very late 4th Q score at home to secure/win that game. I don't think they have any truly impressive wins to date. Again, my opinion. They're currently 3-1 in their conference, with W's against B1G powerhouses Minnesota, Maryland and Nebraska.
The Florida Atlantic game they didn't have their regular QB.

To be fair, I think Aidan O'Connell was out for that game. They are a solid team, with B1G level athletes on both sides of the ball. But, again, if Purdue is what we're hanging our hats on, then that sets us apart from the other undefeateds. Even Ucla, has a win against a strong Utah team.

The Florida Atlantic game they didn't have their regular QB.

To be fair, I think Aidan O'Connell was out for that game.

He was out.

It still doesn't change the fact that it took a late 4th Q. TD by Purdue at home to secure the W. Just as it did on Saturday in a one score game before a 3rd and 14 conversion with 3 minutes left in the game and ensuing TD with State's starting QB out.

I would just like to point out that we are, in reality, maybe playing for the ACC championship this week. Clemson has a ton of talent sure but we play the games for a reason.

Seriously. If we manage to pull off a win we get playoff and title talk.
Which is insanely exciting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom