Poor Buddy | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Poor Buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one thought Andy was athletic as a freshman so not sure how you can assume that. Andy was good for mop up duty in 05-06. Showed so improvement and hit a few big shots late in the 07 season. Injured. Then came on great for his 4th and 5th years. It's ridiculous to compare 09/10 Andy with freshman Buddy.

Yeah everyone was ready to run Rautins out of here until his junior/senior year. Franco has a terrible memory.

Why'd Gonzaga want him then? They are top 5 in the country. Did you even follow his prep career?
I think it was a "courtesy offer" from Mark Few since he is close friends with Boeheim. He knew Buddy was going to Syracuse the whole time.

There weren't any other high level offers.

I think it was a "courtesy offer" from Mark Few since he is close friends with Boeheim. He knew Buddy was going to Syracuse the whole time.

There have been multiple articles as to why.

You realize he produced against elite competion in the NEPSAC and played well in AAU right?

Did you even know about him prior to this year?

Buddy is a less athletic Andy. Biggest issue is his foot speed is not at an ACC level, especially for the area he has to cover up top. Getting out on shooters, denying penetration, that will always be a liability. Not sure why he didn't follow his brother to Cornell.

If he is a less athletic Andy, then what was Andy? Rautins was slower than molasses on a two degree day.

Why didn't he go to Cornell? Unlike his brother, he was a legit D1 prospect. Gonzaga was among the schools that recruited him. If he wasn't Boeheim's son, his offer list would have been long. Coaches knew he was going to SU the entire time, so they didn't bother wasting any effort on a player that would never come.

The funny thing about people complaining about Buddy is a lot of those same people think Girard is going to come in and instantly be a player here when Buddy was the better player in AAU. Boy do those people have something coming to them when Girard struggles next year.
Right. Because obviously, being white shooters, the outcomes will form perfect mirror images. Buddy getting minutes is great. It will lead to some comfort and better play. Perhaps his last name leads to a few more yrips into the wading pool then coach is usually accomodating. Doesn't make it bad. For those of you who have trouble with this, Girard and Buddy are two different people.

Nobody else offered Connor McCaffery of Iowa because they all knew he was going to play for his dad and he's proven more than capable of being a high level division 1 player this year - so no other offers means jack squat.

Jim Boeheim would not have brought in his son if he didn't think Buddy could help the team.
That would be a terrible situation for both of them.
Whatever the problem is it will work itself out...or he won't be on the court.

aaiz4Ss.gif

I really want Franco to answer my last question.

If Buddy wasn’t good enough for D1 wouldn’t Boeheim just have allowed Jimmy to play here as well and gone full blown nepotism?
Everything must be black and white in your world, apparently. The consensus is that buddy is a better player than Jimmy Jr, but how does that automatically equate to being an ACC talent? Is Cornell in the tier of schools just below SU? Give me a break. I stand by my assessment that he's a better fit at a mid-major. Even if he were to crack the rotation as an upperclassman, that doesn't negate that hypothesis.

Everything must be black and white in your world, apparently. The consensus is that buddy is a better player than Jimmy Jr, but how does that automatically equate to being an ACC talent? Is Cornell in the tier of schools just below SU? Give me a break. I stand by my assessment that he's a better fit at a mid-major. Even if he were to crack the rotation as an upperclassman, that doesn't negate that hypothesis.

You still haven’t answered my question.

You still haven’t answered my question.
I provided plenty of context - if you don't understand shades of grey that's not my concern. Like talent, nepotism isn't black and white, either. Ignoring all this, your question isn't even factually correct - Cornell hoops is also Div I.

sonny spera shot 49% from the floor as a frosh (47% career). buddy could well develop into that kind of talent. (btw Spera was a grad asst coach at the University of Buffalo from 1985 to 89)

Last edited:
I provided plenty of context - if you don't understand shades of grey that's not my concern. Like talent, nepotism isn't black and white, either. Ignoring all this, your question isn't even factually correct - Cornell hoops is also Div I.

Well for one if he didn’t come here he would be at Gonzaga or Notre Dame most likely.

Did you follow Buddy at all before this year in the NEPSAC and AAU? Why is that a hard question to answer?

This thread contains an extremely high number of horrific posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom