Portal Big Men Prospects for Next Year | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Portal Big Men Prospects for Next Year

Nah, come on.
there's still a chance this season turns around around the but the window has narrowed considerably

better chance the team is better next year via a great offseason/portal than they turn it around this year, imo

(due to holes in the roster, imo)

so, me personally, I am more excited about how thy build the team this offseason than what happens the rest of this year

there's still a chance this season turns around around the but the window has narrowed considerably

better chance the team is better next year via a great offseason/portal than they turn it around this year, imo

(due to holes in the roster, imo)

so, me personally, I am more excited about how thy build the team this offseason than what happens the rest of this year
Eh, I don't think that's dire. I think there's some over indexing on the FSU loss (and the final score) happening for a lot of people.

Did he suggest Freeman as a 3? I thought he said 3/4 (75%) of what DC was as a freshman. DC was a 4.

Have you watched Freeman? His legs are so skinny. He's nobody's idea of a power forward. He's built more like Kevin Durant. He's bouncy, has a midrange game, plays some pretty decent defense, and makes the occasional three. He also has the pump fake and step inside the 3 point line move already.

Eh, I don't think that's dire. I think there's some over indexing on the FSU loss (and the final score) happening for a lot of people.
Lots of negatives that loss outside of who and by how much. It was a bad loss and we didn’t have any prior and we still are need more quad 1/2 wins with limited opportunities. Watching this team, we may snag a couple between the season and post season but there isn’t much backing up the idea that we win many of them at all.

Have you watched Freeman? His legs are so skinny. He's nobody's idea of a power forward. He's built more like Kevin Durant. He's bouncy, has a midrange game, plays some pretty decent defense, and makes the occasional three. He also has the pump fake and step inside the 3 point line move already.

I agree, Freeman is by no means a complete string bean but he is slender. His frame suggest he will be able to developed and maintain weight and strength. I think that will be a process though.

Maliq has been our best player this year - I find it hard to believe that when he comes back as a Junior next year, Red asks him to come off the bench. Especially because if that is the case, we brought in a talented big in addition to Donnie.

I think Freeman/Brown start at the 4/5 next year. Reds main priority needs to be replacing Judah.

Maliq has been our best player this year - I find it hard to believe that when he comes back as a Junior next year, Red asks him to come off the bench. Especially because if that is the case, we brought in a talented big in addition to Donnie.

I think Freeman/Brown start at the 4/5 next year. Reds main priority needs to be replacing Judah.
yep exactly right. Pencil in Brown and Freeman as two starters. The other front line starter will either be Mcleod if you go big or someone like Chance or Bell. JJ is starting and therefore we need a portal PG capable of starting. Cope, Moore, Cuffe off the bench. That likely means Benny and Justin find new homes.

Cuse!

Not sure why you quoted that post. I didn't say he was one or the other in it. I simply clarified baggerbob's comment. It was hoopsupstate that said with certainty he wasn't a 3.

Maybe he's been our most consistent player, but he hasn't been our best. He has less responsibility than other guys, so he doesn't have the opportunity to make the bad plays other guys do. He's never given the ball and just asked to create like the guards are and he rarely shoots outside the lane. How has he been our best player?

If Brown is our starting 5 next year and doesn't add 20lbs of muscle, we need to expect to get big boyed by physical teams.

We have a Judah playing the 2 right now.

Red isn’t going to go with traditional centers.
He was going with one before he got hurt, and that one wasn't even good. If he can find a good traditional center, it makes sense to have one. We can't go into every game with the inability to defend physical bigs or rebound, and having a low post scoring option isn't bad. If we had Edwards this year, he'd be playing the bulk of the minutes.

Last edited:
NIL will have a lot to say about this (s)he is the best recruiter in the land.
Fran is working his tail off talking with whales. I don’t feel like red is even in the ballpark when it comes to recognizing how important this is.

Do you think kids are going to Duke because Scheyer is Coach of the Year in Times magazine?

Fran is working his tail off talking with whales. I don’t feel like red is even in the ballpark when it comes to recognizing how important this is.

Do you think kids are going to Duke because Scheyer is Coach of the Year in Times magazine?

We brought in 5 Star JJ, 4/5 star Westry, etc...retained Judah. They aren't here for the wings.

Well, there are going to be a handful of games we just can't win every year, if that's his approach.
There’s more teams in the top 10 and top 25 playing non traditional bigs than they are centers. Sure you have Edey, Clingan, Bacot, and Ballo, but those guys are the exception and not the rule. I don’t get the obsession here by some to play traditional centers. It’s not 2010 and we aren’t playing zone.

We brought in 5 Star JJ, 4/5 star Westry, etc...retained Judah. They aren't here for the wings.
we have to do better next time around or there won’t be another next time for Ted.

There’s more teams in the top 10 and top 25 playing non traditional bigs than they are centers. Sure you have Edey, Clingan, Bacot, and Ballo, but those guys are the exception and not the rule. I don’t get the obsession here by some to play traditional centers. It’s not 2010 and we aren’t playing zone.

Because you still have to play defense.

And you notice how the really good teams DO have a traditional center? Look at the guys you list.

If we want to be a team that can make a Sweet 16, we have to have a guy who can defend Edey, Clingan, Bacot, etc. We can't just have to surrender underneath the basket on defense because the other team has one or two or even three guys who are simply bigger and stronger than us.

And you notice how the really good teams DO have a traditional center? Look at the guys you list.

If we want to be a team that can make a Sweet 16, we have to have a guy who can defend Edey, Clingan, Bacot, etc. We can't just have to surrender underneath the basket on defense because the other team has one or two or even three guys who are simply bigger and stronger than us.
History disagrees. Look at Nova and Baylors recent titles. Houston’s tallest guy is 6’7” this year and they are 18-2. Everyone’s favorite Nate Oats plays without a traditional center just about every season. I could go on, but those are the schools on the top of my head.

None of those guys could have handled Rony as a junior with DC as a freshman. Those 2 would have destroyed all those teams.
With all the one and dones, the college game is a lot worse then it was then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom