Portal Big Men Prospects for Next Year | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Portal Big Men Prospects for Next Year

Bell is the last person we should want to leave. He might be the second best athlete on the team next to Benny. He can flat out shoot and has shown tremendous improvement from last year. He’s better on both ends of the floor. If he stays, you can pencil him in as the starting small forward for the next two years.

Judah, Taylor, Benny, Hima move on to their likely destinations. One of Carey/Patterson stay. Though, honestly, as much as I like to bag on fans' unrealistic expectations for Carey, I can see Red keeping both if the option is to get some random transfer guard who can't play either, unless he wants to use that roster spot for a wing project or shooter.

We brought on Straughn this year supposedly for offense development (as well as DMV recruiting)

It would be great if we actually brought in a solid big man coach...

Rome wasn't built in a day and if we aim to get and churn out solid bigs, we need one.

Also, once you get a track record of churning out bigs to the NBA, top bigs will want to come here.

We need quality at center consistently to be good. The days are gone where we put a body in there in the zone to get rebounds and slide the baselines and look at any offensive points as a plus.

Bell is the last person we should want to leave. He might be the second best athlete on the team next to Benny. He can flat out shoot and has shown tremendous improvement from last year. He’s better on both ends of the floor. If he stays, you can pencil him in as the starting small forward for the next two years.
We should be leaning toward Bell being here. I think SF will likely be shared between whoever isn't the PG(Westry/Copeland) and Bell.

Maliq has been our best player this year - I find it hard to believe that when he comes back as a Junior next year, Red asks him to come off the bench. Especially because if that is the case, we brought in a talented big in addition to Donnie.

I think Freeman/Brown start at the 4/5 next year. Reds main priority needs to be replacing Judah.
Guard play isn't our problem and probably won't be next year (IMO) with JJ and Q coming back and an able backup in Moore. It's the front court that's holding us back in terms of scoring, rebounding and rim protection. In four of our six losses we were mauled on the glass (Tenn -15; Gonz. - 20; UVA -6; UNC -23). In the other two losses the other team was shooting at or near 50% so the defensive rebounding opportunities were limited.

There are some pretty obvious steps that could/should be taken. Looking at our roster for next year, Bell is going to be our best returning outside shooter. And JJ is improving rapidly. If JJ can run point, Bell could play the 2 .. this isn't crazy because, even if he's not jet quick, it puts shooting and size out front and removes an inside liability ... averaging 2 rpg. Q can sub for either guard and Moore can get a few minutes depending on development.

Front court - move Maliq to his natural position (4) and let him do his thing. Freeman/Benny can fight it out for minutes at the other forward spot. A portal center with enough size to protect the rim, rebound and give us 10-12 ppg is the obvious solution - and the reason for the OP. If we can grab someone to fill this roll, movingbell to the 2 and Maliq to the 4 maximizes our floor scoring and mitigates our persistent problems with rebounding and rim-protection.

Last edited:
If Maliq is playing center next year as our starter, we have to change the way we play defense a bit if we want to compete at a high level. There will just be gross mismatches if we try to run it like we are now.

I am the president of the Maliq Brown Fan Club, but he's not strong enough in his core / lower buddy, nor an explosive enough athlete, to stop those bigs that can plant in the post and do baby hooks all day. You have to win those battles before they ever set up shop by pushing them off their spot, making them work, etc. A lot of those guys that defend well are built like fire hydrants that are shorter than normal. And, if he's starting at the 5, we'll have games where we need to be so on point with our rotations, that we'll have to have guys that are high bball iq and disciplined. All of this is fine, btw, but that's the reailty.

Maliq isn't a three point shooter and he's not a rim runner, so he isn't punishing huge guys at the 5 with his offensive side of the ball. Honestly, he's perfect in the dunker spot if we were able to use him there.

I don't know what the answer is. There will be games where we just give up a ton of offensive boards, but I do like more position-less basketball and I think that can help a bit here. But what I witnessed against Bacot (who, granted, is one of the top big men in the country) just isn't viable.

One of the current centers has to level up to at least be a viable rotation guy.

Williams is supposed to have a big upside he needs at add 20lbs. Add Westry to the G/F mix we have plenty of talent

Grant Nelson(6’10”) is the guy who starts for Bama at center. He’s basically Tyler Lydon. People here complained when we played him at the 5. His backup is the same size and the same type of player. they both play on the perimeter and the backup only shoots 3’s. Is that what we are speaking of wanting here? It seems like people want a banger for whatever reason.

The 7 footer for Baylor hasn’t played a game. The guy they start at center is marginally bigger than Freeman and Brown and again when they won the title they had zero people in their rotation taller than 6’7”.
I liked Lydon at the 5. Preferred him at the four but liked him at the 5.

You're not getting a portal center. Less than 5% chance and I think the roster for next season is pretty much set barring something unexpected (big injury or transfer). JJ is going to get big minutes, Chance (pending recovery) and Q as the next two. Freeman and Maliq are playing big minutes. There's 5. Figure Moore, Naheem, and Cuffe off the bench, in that order. That's 8 guys. Red will play more guys than JAB did and someone is going get SF minutes with JJ and Chance, but 9 guys is pretty much the max I would expect to get regular minutes.

So it really comes down to Bell as the only logical potential replacement next season. He's obviously got talent, it's the epxression of it is really inconsistent and not necesserily elite. Does Bell make the leap as a junior like say D Nich did or is that too much to ask for? Does Red gamble and get a portal wing instead? Does he move on from a slightly below average player and get someone who wants big minutes and NIL, but might be slightly above average or bank on the improvement with another year in the system? None of the guys listed above outside of JJ and Brown (as well as Freeman hopefully) are really that bad or that good right now, so any replacement player might only be marginal improvement.

Tough decisions, but that's why Red gets the big bucks and I'm just an anonymous dumb dumb on an internet message board.

Judah, Taylor, Benny, Hima move on to their likely destinations. One of Carey/Patterson stay. Though, honestly, as much as I like to bag on fans' unrealistic expectations for Carey, I can see Red keeping both if the option is to get some random transfer guard who can't play either, unless he wants to use that roster spot for a wing project or shooter.

I think this is a very realistic breakdown, obviously things are fluid. The exception is I feel Bell is a lock to be back.

If you get lucky and you can get a legit starter at the 3 or 5 in the portal great but it is unlikely.

If we wind up starting Freeman and Brown which is likely, I'd hope the staff puts a lot of effort into keeping Benny. We aren't going to get a better back up PF in the portal.

Williams is supposed to have a big upside he needs at add 20lbs. Add Westry to the G/F mix we have plenty of talent
If they’re banking on Benny to hit close to his original upside then questions need to be asked what the hell they’re doing. He’s the Buss Patterson equivalent at PF.

I think this is a very realistic breakdown, obviously things are fluid. The exception is I feel Bell is a lock to be back.

If you get lucky and you can get a legit starter at the 3 or 5 in the portal great but it is unlikely.

If we wind up starting Freeman and Brown which is likely, I'd hope the staff puts a lot of effort into keeping Benny. We aren't going to get a better back up PF in the portal.
He’s averaging 5/4/1 with a horrible attitude, we can find a better backup.

Someone who hasn't played in 2 years, shouldn't even be considered as a helper next year. Right now we don't know if Westry will ever play or how good he will be.

Maliq has been our best player this year - I find it hard to believe that when he comes back as a Junior next year, Red asks him to come off the bench. Especially because if that is the case, we brought in a talented big in addition to Donnie.

I think Freeman/Brown start at the 4/5 next year. Reds main priority needs to be replacing Judah.
PG is all set with Q, I would think. Now, where we get the points, tbd?

He’s averaging 5/4/1 with a horrible attitude, we can find a better backup.
That is unfair. He went through a spell, to be sure, but he has been nothing but positive since the mini- suspension. He has accepted his role and has, on occasion, thrived in it.

PG is all set with Q, I would think. Now, where we get the points, tbd?

I have a question, are we sure Red wants a dominant lead guard?

I'm legitimately asking.

Think he may do a 40/40/20 split?

That is unfair. He went through a spell, to be sure, but he has been nothing but positive since the mini- suspension. He has accepted his role and has, on occasion, thrived in it.
On occasion, wasn’t it two games he was walking back to the locker room, throwing his headband again? I’m over him personally.

Guard play isn't our problem and probably won't be next year (IMO) with JJ and Q coming back and an able backup in Moore. It's the front court that's holding us back in terms of scoring, rebounding and rim protection. In four of our six losses we were mauled on the glass (Tenn -15; Gonz. - 20; UVA -6; UNC -23). In the other two losses the other team was shooting at or near 50% so the defensive rebounding opportunities were limited.

There are some pretty obvious steps that could/should be taken. Looking at our roster for next year, Bell is going to be our best returning outside shooter. And JJ is improving rapidly. If JJ can run point, Bell could play the 2 .. this isn't crazy because, even if he's not jet quick, it puts shooting and size out front and removes an inside liability ... averaging 2 rpg. Q can sub for either guard and Moore can get a few minutes depending on development.

Front court - move Maliq to his natural position (4) and let him do his thing. Freeman/Benny can fight it out for minutes at the other forward spot. A portal center with enough size to protect the rim, rebound and give us 10-12 ppg is the obvious solution - and the reason for the OP. If we can grab someone to fill this roll, movingbell to the 2 and Maliq to the 4 maximizes our floor scoring and mitigates our persistent problems with rebounding and rim-protection.
JJ, Bell, Portal rim protector, Maliq and either Benny or Freeman? That sounds like the worst ball handling team in SU history.

You're not getting a portal center. Less than 5% chance and I think the roster for next season is pretty much set barring something unexpected (big injury or transfer). JJ is going to get big minutes, Chance (pending recovery) and Q as the next two. Freeman and Maliq are playing big minutes. There's 5. Figure Moore, Naheem, and Cuffe off the bench, in that order. That's 8 guys. Red will play more guys than JAB did and someone is going get SF minutes with JJ and Chance, but 9 guys is pretty much the max I would expect to get regular minutes.

So it really comes down to Bell as the only logical potential replacement next season. He's obviously got talent, it's the epxression of it is really inconsistent and not necesserily elite. Does Bell make the leap as a junior like say D Nich did or is that too much to ask for? Does Red gamble and get a portal wing instead? Does he move on from a slightly below average player and get someone who wants big minutes and NIL, but might be slightly above average or bank on the improvement with another year in the system? None of the guys listed above outside of JJ and Brown (as well as Freeman hopefully) are really that bad or that good right now, so any replacement player might only be marginal improvement.

Tough decisions, but that's why Red gets the big bucks and I'm just an anonymous dumb dumb on an internet message board.

Feels like there's a lot of risk to the idea of moving on from Bell. He has improved, and there's still room to grow.

If Maliq is playing center next year as our starter, we have to change the way we play defense a bit if we want to compete at a high level. There will just be gross mismatches if we try to run it like we are now.

I am the president of the Maliq Brown Fan Club, but he's not strong enough in his core / lower buddy, nor an explosive enough athlete, to stop those bigs that can plant in the post and do baby hooks all day. You have to win those battles before they ever set up shop by pushing them off their spot, making them work, etc. A lot of those guys that defend well are built like fire hydrants that are shorter than normal. And, if he's starting at the 5, we'll have games where we need to be so on point with our rotations, that we'll have to have guys that are high bball iq and disciplined. All of this is fine, btw, but that's the reailty.

Maliq isn't a three point shooter and he's not a rim runner, so he isn't punishing huge guys at the 5 with his offensive side of the ball. Honestly, he's perfect in the dunker spot if we were able to use him there.

I don't know what the answer is. There will be games where we just give up a ton of offensive boards, but I do like more position-less basketball and I think that can help a bit here. But what I witnessed against Bacot (who, granted, is one of the top big men in the country) just isn't viable.

One of the current centers has to level up to at least be a viable rotation guy.
It'll be Patterson.

Maliq Brown recruited over? Good grief. He's at worst a top 20 ACC player. He’s 3rd in steals, first in FG%, 10th in PER and 12th in win shares.

Freeman is a McDonalds All American. He’s not coming here to sit.
Yes. I'm not as high on him as many are. His fg percentage is misleading. Nearly all his scoring is off feeds after guards draw defenders or put backs. He has no responsibility for creating offense. He's a very nice role player. I don't see him as a top 20 ACC guy. If a guy averaging less than 10ppg is a top 20 ACC player, he better be defensive player of the year or the ACC is way down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom