Portal II - Revenge of the Portal | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Portal II - Revenge of the Portal

its dumb because its model for the sport that kills the sport in the long run. how long do NW/Vandy and others stay in the sport when they barely compete on a level playing field now?

They would be better to just suck up the league money and try to get NIL to help like BBALL where less money goes farther.
Talent is going to cycle and find it’s level. At the end of the day kids want to play and that’s going to be as big a driver as nil.

it’s up to every program to manage it. Look at tam, how did spending all that money work out.

Why is it dumb? You choose to match or offer more or not compete. Depends on the value of the kid to your program. You also have create reasons why staying are strong.

For a kid like Duce or whoever similar he’s leaving a guaranteed starting kid and possible captain type role and his next CB coach might already favor other kids and make him (the universal guy like him) a nickel.

It seems like a needless risk in a sport with so many players and margins so thin.

Heck our hoops players who didn’t like their old meanie of a coach didn’t really find greener pastures in a sport with far less guys to worry about.

I disagree. When those players leave SEC/BIG schools you are most of the time doing that school a favor because you are freeing up a spot that they can then back fill with the underrated 3 star player that they did not offer in HS but went to and starred at place like Syracuse.

You are essentially trading with Alabama/Nebraska/whoever your 3-star top 5 player on your roster for the 4 star player at the bottom of their depth chart.
A starter from here isn’t going to Alabama to be a depth guy just because he’s getting nil money. If he does that’s self defeating for long term goals.

so far SU has taken in more SEC and Big 10 guys that have made an impact then lost. Taj is a bust. Jawar Jordan is a nice player, but was very replaceable.

We’ll see what happens but I believe there is more upside than downside for SU if managed properly

For a kid like Duce or whoever similar he’s leaving a guaranteed starting kid and possible captain type role and his next CB coach might already favor other kids and make him (the universal guy like him) a nickel.

It seems like a needless risk in a sport with so many players and margins so thin.

Heck our hoops players who didn’t like their old meanie of a coach didn’t really find greener pastures in a sport with far less guys to worry about.
If I’m Dino for him or anyone else similarly situated I say go see what the market says and give me an opportunity to match.

Agreed.
The one thing we can’t compete with is if kids just want the surer opportunity to play for national championships and don’t care if they are a star on that team.

id say that would be a pretty rare thing.

if a kid hates the cold, doesn’t like the school, finds the academics too hard, and wants to go to a peer school there‘s not much you can about that either other than ask how much will it take

how long do NW/Vandy and others stay in the sport when they barely compete on a level playing field now?
They probably stay as long as they are in conferences that payout a bunch of $$$ to schools like them. Years ago, the Ivy's etc had nationally-strong football programs. But they saw the rabbit hole of big money sports opening up, decided it was not in their academic mission, and said "we will not/cannot" play this new game.

NW and Vandy are similar to the Ivy's academically, but their athletic departments are propped up by SEC and B10 $$$. Win or lose, they make money. As long at the ACC GOR is in effect, SU is likewise safe. But only for now.

The key IMO is to get to bowls. Post a winning record, establish a track record of sustained success, and make Syracuse football an attractive destination for quality players seeking greener pastures.

I think our staff can sell that. It's a tougher uphill challenge when you're trying to sell portal transfers on "...we need you to get over the hump."

But if we go to a bowl this year and next, and we can sell transfers on CDRW or Sellars or Lamson as keeping the train rolling, then I think the OP might be onto something.

But it is going to feel stressful every off-season, with the tumult. But I agree this is the opportunity to trim away some of the players who might not see the field, and replace them with higher quality players.

In the first act SU has been a net beneficiary. They have added what appears to be better potential in a couple of positions and cleared space to bring in more. A lot of schools have had a true mass exodus on portal opening day and they are losing really high level starters. SU hasn’t seen that to this point. Overall kids seem to be happy with the program and aren’t just leaving.

Chestnut is the only starter that has left to date. I get Jackson, but he was losing snaps all year and was told you might want to look around.

There are rumblings the second act could be rough as more better players are seduced by the NIL. If that’s the case it’s the programs job to mitigate it and try to keep kids sold. But if they can’t they have the opportunity to get equal or better themselves.

And that’s the third act, at the end of all this they will have 85 kids on scholarship. Their job is to get through this with a better roster than they ended the season with.

They did last year. Hopefully they can follow that up.

We have two four star recruits in our QB room right now. If we got either of those guys out of HS we would have lost our minds.

We have access to talent we wouldn't get out of high school, usually.

Also, our OC and DC just left. Of course we were going to lose guys. Add in NIL opps and the portal, it's just the way it is.

Just have to get used to it, be good at it, and win some hearts and minds.

Love your enthusiasm. I just don’t see how at the end of the day this program isn’t a minor league program for the factory schools.

TAMU lost 15 kids, many starters, Alabama has lost like 13. How can we count ourselves as a minor league for factory schools when many of the factory schools are losing starters and high play-count players. We lost one starter. None of the kids we lost last year had any significant impact on the school they signed with.

The key IMO is to get to bowls. Post a winning record, establish a track record of sustained success, and make Syracuse football an attractive destination for quality players seeking greener pastures.

I think our staff can sell that. It's a tougher uphill challenge when you're trying to sell portal transfers on "...we need you to get over the hump."

But if we go to a bowl this year and next, and we can sell transfers on CDRW or Sellars or Lamson as keeping the train rolling, then I think the OP might be onto something.

But it is going to feel stressful every off-season, with the tumult. But I agree this is the opportunity to trim away some of the players who might not see the field, and replace them with higher quality players.

I agree with this and see some individual players getting drafted high will also help. We really could have used Garrett Williams to finish out the season healthy and get drafted in the first round. We really needed Tucker to mirror last season and get talked about as RB1 off the board. Those things do matter. If we are getting 6-8 wins a season and putting people in the NFL players will notice.

TAMU lost 15 kids, many starters, Alabama has lost like 13. How can we count ourselves as a minor league for factory schools when many of the factory schools are losing starters and high play-count players. We lost one starter. None of the kids we lost last year had any significant impact on the school they signed with.
It’s early yet

Will be epic
1671031002514.jpeg

My point is our attrition is no different than most other schools.
This is true. I follow South Carolina because I live here now and am friends with a booster, and they just lost their starting RB and TE. Their OC left for a "lateral" position at...Nebraska. So we're not alone here. And while South Carolina is not on the level of ATM for NIL, they're not exactly lacking.

isnt second act full teams comprised of freshmen (seduced by playing time) and portal kids looking for change (whatever that's defined as for them)

Alabama has the #1 ranked recruiting class and aTm has the #17th ranked class. Syracuse has the #82nd ranked class, and so far has lost a starting CB and the top backup CB. Leaving us with 1 starter (Johnson) and three freshmen (Peterson/Delaine/Perry). Literally 4 cornerbacks until guys are moved around. It's not the same.

II think Dino sees this as an opportunity. In the past SU has had to live and die with the result of HS recruiting for the most part. Now he has a chance to rerecruit kids he had no real chance with out of HS and clear out reaches that were signed to get to a number.

You make this a place where kids want to stay and play hard for and have to be enticed to leave, you’ll be ok. SU needs to have the resources to match or better deals for their best players, which I don’t know if they have that today.

Not only that but they will also have *at least* a year of D1 strength and conditioning under their belts. More ready to contribute right away.

Alabama has the #1 ranked recruiting class and aTm has the #17th ranked class. Syracuse has the #82nd ranked class, and so far has lost a starting CB and the top backup CB. Leaving us with 1 starter (Johnson) and three freshmen (Peterson/Delaine/Perry). Literally 4 cornerbacks until guys are moved around. It's not the same.

Yeah, I get that but none of that means we are a feeder school for the big boys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom