Portal Overload | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Portal Overload

I wonder how it breaks down by sport? Football and basketball( men's and women's) comes in around 28-30k athletes for D-1. Curious what other sports who be so heavily impacted.

the Ivies had a ton of kids leave the last 12 months. they screwed up almost all their sports with policies that are dumb. the not allowing RS seasons has killed them forever
Well, this was real world stuff clashing with academia, so you knew academia would lose

to me, another thing i hate that the NCAA has done. This is just straight up chaos! A few things that ill say about this imo takes a good amount of excitement out of signing day. I mean these coaches bust there humps and for what!
Idk what the motivation was for the NCAA to do this but to me, i think its completely ed, turning off alot of college fooball fans including me!

Last edited:
to me, another thing i hate that the NCAA has done. This is just straight up chaos! A few things that ill say about this imo takes a good amount of excitement out of signing day. I mean these coaches bust there humps and for what!
Idk what the motivation was for the NCAA to do this but to me, i think its completely ed, turning off alot of college fooball fans including me!
Agree with this 100%

Yea, by all means let the athletes be the only ones in the whole system who are punished for changing schools, schools which they picked based on some phone calls, sweet nothings, and a one weekend sleep over.
Would you expect marriages that started that way to last, especially when one party is 18 Y.O. and the other party is looking to replace them as soon as possible?

Well, this was real world stuff clashing with academia, so you knew academia would lose
nothing to do with covid though.. they have had policies for years that have killed sports there.

the Ivies had a ton of kids leave the last 12 months. they screwed up almost all their sports with policies that are dumb. the not allowing RS seasons has killed them forever
Ivies don't offer athletic scholarships. I don't think they are bound to the need for a transfer portal in the same way. Ivies are not about professional sports, they are about academics/education first. Always have been. That is why they saw no logic in putting students at risk by playing sports and cancelled last season.

Yea, by all means let the athletes be the only ones in the whole system who are punished for changing schools, schools which they picked based on some phone calls, sweet nothings, and a one weekend sleep over.
Would you expect marriages that started that way to last, especially when one party is 18 Y.O. and the other party is looking to replace them as soon as possible?
I hear you here, but what went into your school choice? I was given some suggestions by a high school guidance counselor followed by a Fall Friday tour with a random student, and then a Spring weekend. I chose a school that had a good sports culture for my own experience, and a good art program in case I didn't like architecture, but liked the school. Probably less information than most of these other 18 year olds have in making their choice. Financials were the only overpowering thing for me and that is taken out of the equation for scholarship athletes.

Ivies don't offer athletic scholarships. I don't think they are bound to the need for a transfer portal in the same way. Ivies are not about professional sports, they are about academics/education first. Always have been. That is why they saw no logic in putting students at risk by playing sports and cancelled last season.
no. the issue is because they dont allow RS to play and so many kids got 2 yrs back many of the teams lost 1/3 or more of the players. Hockey took crazy hits. its hard for kids to transfer in anyway but they have no problem going out.

look changing schools is not my issue, itsa the amount of [players doing so causing massive tunrover and potential chaos each year. Some people may enjoy thatr style, i dont.
Also IMO i think that was a decent sized factor why roy williams and Mike K. retired & retiring. Now i realize they were goin to retire at some point soon anyway but the timing... Idk, dont think it was a coincidence

Here are a couple of articles from the Buffalo News. The focus is the UB Bulls and its new coach, Mo Linguist. There is some general data regarding how the portal works and how players entering it fare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom