Portal Overload | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Portal Overload

Some may be waiting for admissions to catch up with their offers. That is part of the process. Offer comes, then they have to be accepted academically to go there and be on scholarship.

The reason that SU doesnt have a full roster might be that they are forced to hold spots for SU players in the portal that might return

That would be by choice though - not forced. And I think Syracuse should well keep some spots open for them to return.

Some may be waiting for admissions to catch up with their offers. That is part of the process. Offer comes, then they have to be accepted academically to go there and be on scholarship.
Seems strange it would take so long to be admitted. Some of these players have been in the portal for months. They were already prequalified for D1 and SU. Unless they are going to Harvard or had been grades. Also seems that schools fast track the athletes admission process. Usually ncaa holding up the issue.
Also usually when a kid gets an offer for another school and commits they blast it everywhere on their Twitter account.

Admissions marches to their own drum. If the offer came, lets say in June, they could still be waiting. As long as it comes in time to get to enroll in time. So not all of the time is waiting for this to happen. But of course this could not cover all in the transfer portal, but some may clear out in the next couple of weeks. The rest, well I don't have a clue.

You know, too bad for those kids who bailed on their schools, but this is the best possible result for the future of college sports.

If 75% of the kids who enter the portal fail to get offers from other schools and have to drop sports, or drop down to Division 3, well, that's too bad. You took a gamble, and maybe you weren't "all that" after all. A little humility never killed anybody.

Once athletes begin to understand this, it will likely result in lower roster turnover. It might increase tampering by opposing coaches, because smart kids won't enter the portal unless they have a destination in mind already.

But overall, this should hopefully keep down the "mass exodus" situations in the future.

Yes and no. I feel bad for players, as with HS recruits, who were promised the world only to have nameless adults reneg on spoken promises especially if said player losses a full ride in college that they or their families cannot otherwise afford.

There probably needs to be written scholarship offers for transfers to accept and sign similar to HS kids with LOIs if such a thing does not already exist. If a school over promises written offers they should still be in the hook to supply full paid scholarship regardless if they ever play football IMHO.

Yes and no. I feel bad for players, as with HS recruits, who were promised the world only to have nameless adults reneg on spoken promises especially if said player losses a full ride in college that they or their families cannot otherwise afford.

There probably needs to be written scholarship offers for transfers to accept and sign similar to HS kids with LOIs if such a thing does not already exist. If a school over promises written offers they should still be in the hook to supply full paid scholarship regardless if they ever play football IMHO.
There can't be contact with a player until they are released from their original school and then officially enter the portal. The decision to transfer is initiated solely by the player with no promise of being offered by a new school.

There can't be contact with a player until they are released from their original school and then officially enter the portal. The decision to transfer is initiated solely by the player with no promise of being offered by a new school.

... or so they say. (FIFY)

I'm sure that's how it's written but...

Unfortunately it won’t. Kids will continue to enter the portal thinking their road to the nfl is at the next school.
There are a lot of reasons to transfer. Opportunity is one. The coach/staff are another (see SU W BB). Not liking the school (my son’s primary reason, based in part on seeing a guy stabbed in the neck outside the team locker room); homesickness; family concerns; don’t want to continue the original major/want a different track; realize your choice was not the right one; the coach who recruited you left; etc.

There are a lot of reasons to transfer. Opportunity is one. The coach/staff are another (see SU W BB). Not liking the school (my son’s primary reason, based in part on seeing a guy stabbed in the neck outside the team locker room); homesickness; family concerns; don’t want to continue the original major/want a different track; realize your choice was not the right one; the coach who recruited you left; etc.

Holy crap! What school did your son go to when that happened?

My oldest Daughter transferred from a private school in the pacific NW to CU because of the weather.
Kids transfer for many reasons.

Many legitimate reasons to transfer… Unfortunately - the lack of additional opportunities was something a lot of people pegged as an issue. That’s a lot of students to be without a home.

Cautionary tale…

Unfortunately it won’t. Kids will continue to enter the portal thinking their road to the nfl is at the next school.
But how many of the SU players that entered the portal believe this? Probably only Jordan.

Holy crap! What school did your son go to when that happened?
Manhattan College ,in the Bronx. The soccer pitch is off campus (about 4 blocks, and the locker room is down a side street from it. Some guy walked up behind a guy walking down the street and stabbed him in the neck.
Interesting area. On one side of the school is Riverdale, which is beautiful and expensive. The other side is the Bronx us upstaters think of.

I would take a couple of them back if they wanted to return, starting with Tyrell Richards. At the minimum, he helps our special teams. At best he's a great athlete who can get into the 2 deep at LB or DE. I wonder if the staff has reached out to any of these guys.

I would take a couple of them back if they wanted to return, starting with Tyrell Richards. At the minimum, he helps our special teams. At best he's a great athlete who can get into the 2 deep at LB or DE. I wonder if the staff has reached out to any of these guys.

I would hope so, especially with camps opening, and so many guys without landing spots.

I think we still have 4 or 5 roster spots, too.

I would hope so, especially with camps opening, and so many guys without landing spots.

I think we still have 4 or 5 roster spots, too.
I don't believe our own guys would cost us spots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom