Position by Position: The Future | Syracusefan.com

Position by Position: The Future

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
How do we feel about each position, as it stands, heading into the future?

QB: Terrified. We have one good option and if he goes down we may be a 1 win team.

RB: Very good. Return two hard running vets andhave Jordan and Wax heading the rear. We know much about Pierre or Garrison? Unfortunately we go as far as the OL does though. Yikes.

WR: Fine. Good talent, better size in next year’s unit. Adjustments can be made.

TE: Times are good!!! Oh wait, we rarely throw them the ball

OL: life support again in 2020, potentially solid in 2021 if we can land a few mercenaries to bridge the gap year. Scared here.

DE: good. Racking up some talent with big offer sheets. Hopefully we add some size and don’t skip a beat in 2020. IMO Jonathan’s our most talented DL period right now. Feeling great about Linton and Caleb.

DT/DL: OK/concerned. Feel better that Bear will have another year, Tuazama looks promising. Would be nice to hear some good things about Munoz and Dawson. Hope we’ll be in a place to save Black and Harper for qb pressuring downs.

LB: Better. Lee and Mikel are the real deal. Juan Wallace could get there with more size. Time to unleash the canadians in Richards and Cantin Arku in 2020. We have speed and size here paired with big talent in Jones/Lee.

Safety: Fine. Coley’s shown competency and Cisco’s continued ball hawking. Need to improve with helping vs the run. Interested to see Nunn and Jonas.

CB: with TE perhaps our brightest spots. A lot of experience with Iffy, Trill and Stritz. A lot of built depth as well that will be going into their second years.

your thoughts?

Our defensive strategy is ridiculous. The bend/don’t break Tampa 2 strategy has to go.

Does anyone wonder how this defense would do if Shafer was Dino’s defensive coordinator? I realize they would be gassed because our offense would keep them on the field too much, but would be curious to see what Shafer could do with this type of defensive talent.

Guys like Trill, Cisco, Alton and Richards are types of players that Shafer never had here. His scheme would have been exciting to watch with these guys.

Could we possibly do a 3-4 next year with the LB’s we have?

If we continue to struggle finding interior linemen, we may be forced to play 3-4 on defense.

I think this is a pretty solid assessment on the future team.

has the potential to go 7-5 or 3-9 and anywhere in between

QB: Terrified. We have one good option and if he goes down we may be a 1 win team.

RB: Very good. Return two hard running vets andhave Jordan and Wax heading the rear. We know much about Pierre or Garrison? Unfortunately we go as far as the OL does though. Yikes.

WR: Fine. Good talent, better size in next year’s unit. Adjustments can be made.

OL: life support again in 2020, potentially solid in 2021 if we can land a few mercenaries to bridge the gap year. Scared here.

DE: good. Racking up some talent with big offer sheets. Hopefully we add some size and don’t skip a beat in 2020. IMO Jonathan’s our most talented DL period right now. Feeling great about Linton and Caleb.

DT/DL: OK/concerned. Feel better that Bear will have another year, Tuazama looks promising. Would be nice to hear some good things about Munoz and Dawson. Hope we’ll be in a place to save Black and Harper for qb pressuring downs.

LB: Better. Lee and Mikel are the real deal. Juan Wallace could get there with more size. Time to unleash the canadians in Richards and Cantin Arku in 2020. We have speed and size here paired with big talent in Jones/Lee.

Safety: Fine. Coley’s shown competency and Cisco’s continued ball hawking. Need to improve with helping vs the run. Interested to see Nunn and Jonas.

CB: with TE perhaps our brightest spots. A lot of experience with Iffy, Trill and Stritz. A lot of built depth as well that will be going into their second years.

your thoughts?
Iffy tackled better on the running backs then our 2 safeties.

Understand the QB analysis but if he DOESN'T go down I think TD has grown more from this year than any other player. No idea what Summers brings but I think Rex could be serviceable in an emergency scenario.

And where are the good feelings about Caleb coming from? Haven't seen enough to feel anything yet though I am anxious to see what he brings to the table.

Understand the QB analysis but if he DOESN'T go down I think TD has grown more from this year than any other player. No idea what Summers brings but I think Rex could be serviceable in an emergency scenario.

And where are the good feelings about Caleb coming from? Haven't seen enough to feel anything yet though I am anxious to see what he brings to the table.

Caleb had an illness all spring and all preseason. It’s never been addressed which makes me think it’s probably really bad news.

Has anyone seen him on the sidelines?

Heard a lot of positive things about him coming out of highschool from reputable board sources. Unfortunately he’s not been healthy. Hoping he maintained some of that good size he came in with. Any DL that gets interest from Texas is worth being glass half full about.

Iffy tackled better on the running backs then our 2 safeties.

During one of the 75 long runs yesterday, you could see Iffy chasing in the background and he was limping badly.

Our defensive strategy is ridiculous. The bend/don’t break Tampa 2 strategy has to go.

Does anyone wonder how this defense would do if Shafer was Dino’s defensive coordinator? I realize they would be gassed because our offense would keep them on the field too much, but would be curious to see what Shafer could do with this type of defensive talent.

Guys like Trill, Cisco, Alton and Richards are types of players that Shafer never had here. His scheme would have been exciting to watch with these guys.
I agree

My kingdom for cover two yesterday. At least the safeties would have been back and there wouldn’t be guys running free on play action.

Caleb had an illness all spring and all preseason. It’s never been addressed which makes me think it’s probably really bad news.

Has anyone seen him on the sidelines?
Yes, dressed in jersey and sweats. Size looks good but his situation is a big mystery. Hope all is well with the young man, hopefully he would be a big help.

I'm with you on a couple units but more guarded on others. We have a good QB but depth is an issue unless Summers emerges (B-). WR projects as a C-C+, average for ACC. Jackson is our only consistent deep threat. Harris has struggled with patience and consistency. We have Jordan and two good TE's that need the ball more. RB's I give a B because we have two guys that are average or slightly above for ACC. They're not holding us back and if we get our OL functioning (and the D doesn't spot the other team a lead), a better running game will open up the passing game.

The areas at crisis level are OL, DL and LB. The OL problems could reprise next year (D). If Heckel doesn't come back someone new needs to step up so Servais can return to tackle. Bergeron's an up-and-coming talent. I don't know if Davis is the future, but things must improve across the line. DE .. big shoes to fill with Coleman and Robinson gone (C). Kinsler is a nice get and Tauzama has shown potential. But there are serious issues on the interior - losing Berry and Ruff (D-). Unless Williams or someone else with enough size steps up as a NT, I'd say we're in trouble. There is some size/talent in the pipeline but nothing I've seen says we'll reach average here. LB . .. Oye. Maybe the new DC will commit to Richards in the middle ... with Jones/Kpogba on the outsides. Either way, for the third year in a row we will lack experience and size across the unit - D.

Realistically, in the short term I think we're destined to remain in the Atlantic division basement. The only way to climb out is to cut into the (line) hegemony of our eastern recruiting rivals Pitt and BC. [By Edit] Ward's firing, unfortunate as it is, creates an opportunity to find and pay a better DC who can recruit. I hope SU doesn't penny-pinch. Lineplay is behind other areas of recruiting and exacerbating our talent deficits at the skill positions. The only way to turn this around is better recruiting. Kinsler is a nice start!

Last edited:

your thoughts?

Wallace is bigger than both frosh LBs. Mikel Jones is smaller than a couple of our safeties. How come I’m the only one seeing that?

I’m a little worried about RB if Adams isn’t going to get carries. Howard isn’t the answer. Jordan tbd. Adams is far and away the best and most complete back on the roster.

Very very concerned about DT.

And please for the love of god find a center.

Wallace is bigger than both frosh LBs. Mikel Jones is smaller than a couple of our safeties. How come I’m the only one seeing that?
Plays smaller than he is, I don’t care if that’s cliche. Jones and Lee are better talents. Would love to see Wallace continue growing, he’s certainly knowledgeable enough

I’m a little worried about RB if Adams isn’t going to get carries. Howard isn’t the answer. Jordan tbd. Adams is far and away the best and most complete back on the roster.

Very very concerned about DT.

And please for the love of god find a center.
I don’t understand why people are down on Howard. He’s mainly been afforded short yardage situations which is reflected in his ypc. He’s got good hands and bounces off tackles more naturally than our other runners. Adams is the best rb by far, but id give Howard some more 1st and 10 opps when adams needs a blow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom