Possible assistant coaches... | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Possible assistant coaches...

I'm bullish on just how much time it will take. Grain of salt here - but Lester and Shafer thought he could run 80-100% of the offense after being on campus for a month and a half with limited reps.

The way they will practice in spring ball is going to get him double or three times the reps be design. If he's healthy he's going to get a loooong look from Babers. And I think he'll nail it.
Quite possible for Dungey, but I am not so bullish on everyone else that needs to learn it. There is a lot of work to do. O Line will have a bunch of newbies that will have to learn a new system as well as experiencing P5 play for real. Not too worried about the running backs as they will probably have a simpler system and fewer of them on the field at the same time.

The defense is a real question. Might be easier on the front 6/7 as they will have fewer blitz packages to get down. The secondary will be the real question once again. Tampa 2 breaks down to quarters coverage a lot and we didn't do so well with that this year. I don't have a clue - will be interesting to hear what the players say at Fan Fest.

Really? Not even Ryan Nassib?

Not even Nassib.

I have no doubt that Nassib got the offense into the correct play at the LOS.

But I have never seen any SU QB see the entire field in the way that Dungey did at times this year.

That's just my observation - I'm not a coach and I did not review film.

Not even Nassib.

I have no doubt that Nassib got the offense into the correct play at the LOS.

But I have never seen any SU QB see the entire field in the way that Dungey did at times this year.

That's just my observation - I'm not a coach and I did not review film.
You are comparing the QB of a team that had 17th best offense vs one that had the 100 and something best. If you wanted to compare Nassib's freshman or sophomore year to Dungey you might have something. But Dungey is nowhere near Nassib'so Jr or Sr years. Nassib was one of the best QBS in his draft class.

You are comparing the QB of a team that had 17th best offense vs one that had the 100 and something best. If you wanted to compare Nassib's freshman or sophomore year to Dungey you might have something. But Dungey is nowhere near Nassib'so Jr or Sr years. Nassib was one of the best QBS in his draft class.

Sorry.

I guess I didn't make myself clear.

Ryan Nassib had an outstanding senior season for the Orange. He was terrific.

And I think that what made him so effective was his ability to read and adapt to the coverages that were presented to him.

I did not presume to address Eric Dungey's ability to read defenses at the line of scrimmage. And I did not suggest that Eric was a more effective QB than Ryan. Obviously, that could not possibly be true.

I addressed only Eric's ability to see the entire field while in the pocket and while on the run.

That, he did very effectively.

I also believe, by the way, that Eric moves better than Ryan did, and throws a better long ball than Ryan did while he played for the Orange.

I recall that Ryan was the Giant's 4th Round pick in 2013?

With all this action today on this thread I thought we either hit a homerun or balked on a new coaching hire.:noidea:

Sorry.

And I think that what made him so effective was his ability to read and adapt to the coverages that were presented to him.

I did not presume to address Eric Dungey's ability to read defenses at the line of scrimmage. And I did not suggest that Eric was a more effective QB than Ryan. Obviously, that could not possibly be true.

I addressed only Eric's ability to see the entire field while in the pocket and while on the run.

I also believe, by the way, that Eric moves better than Ryan did, and throws a better long ball than Ryan did while he played for the Orange.

Aha. There is no question that Eric is a far better runner and throws a far better deep ball (he actually keeps it in bounds!). He probably does see the field better on the run than Ryan did. I don't know that he see the field better in the pocket, but even if he does, he is impatient and he will have to fix that.

Ryan has a very good 2011 and his sophomore year was similar to Eric's freshman year. Ryan of course, backed up Paulson in his freshman year.

The Giants took Ryan in the 4th round because they had a 2nd round grade for him.

Sorry.

I'm with you on this one Orange PA.

I think Dungey can excel in Babers offense because there is a lot of run - pass option based upon what the defense does. Dungey passing accuracy on the run was really really good at times. I hope Babers simply coaches him to slide and go out of bounds and stop taking unnecessary risks.

By the way, I watched 3 BG games this year and I swear I saw 3 different offenses - one game was downfield and runs with few screen passes, the second game was almost exclusively screens passes all day long. The championship game was practically the run game up the middle. Heck I even saw a tank package!

I think Dungey can excel in Babers offense because there is a lot of run - pass option based upon what the defense does. Dungey passing accuracy on the run was really really good at times. I hope Babers simply coaches him to slide and go out of bounds and stop taking unnecessary risks.

By the way, I watched 3 BG games this year and I swear I saw 3 different offenses - one game was downfield and runs with few screen passes, the second game was almost exclusively screens passes all day long. The championship game was practically the run game up the middle. Heck I even saw a tank package!
Exactly. Babers also adjusts during the game very well. He is not stubborn and does not insist on "establishing the run first". He takes what the defense gives him.

Crusty said:
Exactly. Babers also adjusts during the game very well. He is not stubborn and does not insist on "establishing the run first". He takes what the defense gives him.

He (and Briles) are famous for going back to what works until the other team can stop it. Then the go to the next weakness.

As I understand HCXXX's system, it requires the QB to:
1) Be intelligent/learn adapt quickly
2) Be able to make a wide variety of throws equally well
3) Take what the defense gives you

Those all sound like Dungey to me. IMHO ED is the best QB we have had here since McNabb, and HCDB must be loving that he has a kid who looks so perfectly suited to run the offense.

Sorry.

I think Dungey throws the best deep sideline passes that I can recall at SU in too long to remember.

Hope he's ok. He and Babers could have a lot of fun with this offense.

I think Dungey throws the best deep sideline passes that I can recall at SU in too long to remember.

Hope he's ok. He and Babers could have a lot of fun with this offense.
AND he can do it on the run!

I was struck as well by how much BGSU ran the ball during the MAC Championship Game.

Really surprised me.

I was struck as well by how much BGSU ran the ball during the MAC Championship Game.

Really surprised me.
Yes, was atypical. Actually reversed their season average run/pass ratio. They took what NIU gave them. Very impressive.

Really surprised me.

I think many will be surprised by what they think the "Baylor offense" is and what the reality is. Baylor averaged 605/game this year, and 300 of that per game was rushing yardage. BG average was 561/game, 185 rushing/game. Babers is going to still run the ball. It's all the other creativity in the passing game, and the deep shots down field, that makes his O so hard to defend and so much fun to watch.

Dungey only got to play half of the year. I would guess his rating would be better if he got more snaps.

007 said:
I think many will be surprised by what they think the "Baylor offense" is and what the reality is. Baylor averaged 605/game this year, and 300 of that per game was rushing yardage. BG average was 561/game, 185 rushing/game. Babers is going to still run the ball. It's all the other creativity in the passing game, and the deep shots down field, that makes his O so hard to defend and so much fun to watch.
I used to take Shock Linwood all the time in DFS. They run the ball early, and often. Especially inside the RZ

;
Two thoughts related to these posts:

1, you don't habitually end up in the top ten in passing offense in college football by "taking what the defense gives you." You end up there because you position the defense such that what they're often giving you is the option to throw.

2, when you run a lot of plays and play up tempo, you do a lot of everything, and if your team is drilled to evaluate the defense at all, it's going to be smart enough to read running plays a lot. So there's that.

It's gonna be awesome!

Lester is a damn good coach and did us a solid with Plant. Any chance he gets an opportunity to join the cult?

Lester is a damn good coach and did us a solid with Plant. Any chance he gets an opportunity to join the cult?
Not sure where he would fit. Could be a good QB coach, I guess, but with a cult you have to start near the bottom.

Dungey only got to play half of the year. I would guess his rating would be better if he got more snaps.
Eric had up and down games. No doubt the reps and extra game experience would have helped him by year end. I think Babers will encourage him to use his exceptional talent t extend plays rather than running downfield so much. He is too valuable to the program to be in harms way so often. I really believe we have a shot at returning to the top 25 by his senior year.

In the ACC, Ish was 18th in receptions, but was 11th in YPR and 4th in TDs. This while playing on the second worst offense in the conference. Lester squandered his talents and both QB's failed to throw it his way enough. Dungey has great upsde but he played like a talented freshman not like a seasoned QB.
Am I the only one who has never been blown away by Ishmael's talent?