Possible assistant coaches... | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Possible assistant coaches...

thats the question wrs seemed to be better this year than last but thats not saying much
I think the biggest change with the WRs between 2014-15 was the QB. Not much development away from Ishmael.

Whitey23 said:
I think the biggest change with the WRs between 2014-15 was the QB. Not much development away from Ishmael.

Really hard to say. He was better - was probably coaching, the player working hard, a slightly better OC, better QB, etc.

I wanted to see Sowder here if for no other reason than the fact that he was a WR at Baylor under Briles and Babers, so he's lived it. That would seem to be a huge asset.

I wanted to see Sowder here if for no other reason than the fact that he was a WR at Baylor under Briles and Babers, so he's lived it. That would seem to be a huge asset.
Yup. I wonder if that was a Babers decision or a Sowder decision. Money would have been much better at Cuse so it makes me wonder...

Yup. I wonder if that was a Babers decision or a Sowder decision. Money would have been much better at Cuse so it makes me wonder...
Probably OC there which equals raise and title increase

That is a really tough call. Our QB's were not very good at finding open receivers. If you weren't the primary you probably were not getting the ball. Next year we will see how good Steve really is.

That is a really tough call. Our QB's were not very good at finding open receivers. If you weren't the primary you probably were not getting the ball. Next year we will see how good Steve really is.
Even as a true freshmen, Dungey did a nice job going through his progressions. Not bad considering that the WR unit was very weak and the scheming was questionable.

I think ED has a chance to do great in HCDB's system.

Even as a true freshmen, Dungey did a nice job going through his progressions. Not bad considering that the WR unit was very weak and the scheming was questionable.

I think ED has a chance to do great in HCDB's system.
Can't agree with that. I thought he tucked and ran too early because he didn't see open receivers. Mahoney was very bad at reading progressions as well.

In the ACC, Ish was 18th in receptions, but was 11th in YPR and 4th in TDs. This while playing on the second worst offense in the conference. Lester squandered his talents and both QB's failed to throw it his way enough. Dungey has great upsde but he played like a talented freshman not like a seasoned QB.

Crusty said:
Can't agree with that. I thought he tucked and ran too early because he didn't see open receivers. Mahoney was very bad at reading progressions as well. In the ACC, Ish was 18th in receptions, but was 11th in YPR and 4th in TDs. This while playing on the second worst offense in the conference. Lester squandered his talents and both QB's failed to throw it his way enough. Dungey has great upsde but he played like a talented freshman not like a seasoned QB.

I think you're both right.

Dungey did a good job going through his progressions relative to what we've seen since Nassib. But he didn't do a good enough job - youth, play calling, and system all doing their part to undermine.

Can't agree with that. I thought he tucked and ran too early because he didn't see open receivers. Mahoney was very bad at reading progressions as well.

In the ACC, Ish was 18th in receptions, but was 11th in YPR and 4th in TDs. This while playing on the second worst offense in the conference. Lester squandered his talents and both QB's failed to throw it his way enough. Dungey has great upsde but he played like a talented freshman not like a seasoned QB.

He may have run too quickly at times, but I have never seen an SU QB scan the entire field in the way Dungey did this season.

He really impressed me.

Last edited:
He may have run to quickly at times, but I have never seen an SU QB scan the entire field in the way Dungey did this season.

He really impressed me.
Really? Not even Ryan Nassib?

It should probably be said - I think this system relies on more presnap reads than scanning the whole field anyways. And I think for a freshman, ED did that as well as anyone. Guy picks up systems very quickly.

The horror!!! Our true frosh QB who was not not on campus early, and was not the primary recipient of reps in August and battled injury for much of his season, did not play like a seasoned quarterback. He was not the equal of Drew Brees as a senior at Purdue?

Gimme a break. The kid played fantastic considering his baseline of experience. And if you project that in Dino's system, it is easy to be excited. Now, will it all play out exactly that way? Maybe he'll be better, perhaps worse than we anticipate. None of us know. None of us can simply watch the MAC Championship game and know.

I think you're both right.

Dungey did a good job going through his progressions relative to what we've seen since Nassib. But he didn't do a good enough job - youth, play calling, and system all doing their part to undermine.

He did FAR better than most Frosh QBs. Not like an experienced senior, or a NFL QB, but better than you would expect from a true Frosh.

It should probably be said - I think this system relies on more presnap reads than scanning the whole field anyways. And I think for a freshman, ED did that as well as anyone. Guy picks up systems very quickly.
As I understand it, the system is both pre and post snap reads. From what I have read, receivers are even given leeway to change up routes depending to how they are being played. If a CB opens up his hips to run with him they can cut the routes off and curl it up. QB and WRs have to be totally in sync.

This means that everybody has to learn something new - just not the QB. I fear that Dungey will get the blame for every miscue. I am a huge Dungey fan (just look at my avitar), but I get concerned when too much is expected of him too early.

The horror!!! Our true frosh QB who was not not on campus early, and was not the primary recipient of reps in August and battled injury for much of his season, did not play like a seasoned quarterback. He was not the equal of Drew Brees as a senior at Purdue?

Gimme a break. The kid played fantastic considering his baseline of experience. And if you project that in Dino's system, it is easy to be excited. Now, will it all play out exactly that way? Maybe he'll be better, perhaps worse than we anticipate. None of us know. None of us can simply watch the MAC Championship game and know.

What is the point of your post? Oh, hyperbole.

I didn't say he didn't have a very good freshman year and I am a huge fan - look at my avitar! But he did not do a lot of things very well. His athleticism made up for a lot or errors and damn near got him killed. You said it yourself, "The kid played fantastic considering his baseline of experience." You said in a general way the same thing I said in a specific one.

"Now, will it all play out exactly that way? Maybe he'll be better, perhaps worse than we anticipate. None of us know.." Exactly.

He did FAR better than most Frosh QBs. Not like an experienced senior, or a NFL QB, but better than you would expect from a true Frosh.
Agreed, but that was not my point.

QB's ALWAYS get too much credit and too much of the blame. Dungy was outstanding as a true freshman without the spring no less but has to continue to develop as you said. He seems like a pretty sharp kid so I'd bet he will if he can remain healthy.

QB's ALWAYS get too much credit and too much of the blame. Dungy was outstanding as a true freshman without the spring no less but has to continue to develop as you said. He seems like a pretty sharp kid so I'd bet he will if he can remain healthy.
Agreed. I think he will be even better when he settles down and uses his mobility to extend plays rather than to just take off and run. If he stays healthy, Dino's system might, in time, be a great fit for him.

Crusty said:
Agreed. I think he will be even better when he settles down and uses his mobility to extend plays rather than to just take off and run. If he stays healthy, Dino's system might, in time, be a great fit for him.

I'm bullish on just how much time it will take. Grain of salt here - but Lester and Shafer thought he could run 80-100% of the offense after being on campus for a month and a half with limited reps.

The way they will practice in spring ball is going to get him double or three times the reps be design. If he's healthy he's going to get a loooong look from Babers. And I think he'll nail it.