Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

I think part of it is Red's transition to Head Coach. Last year he was Red, one of the coaches and a guy that these players probably turned to when JB was giving them a hard time. Now, Red has to be the "bad cop". The group of players in question all played last year. None of the new guys are part of that group. A couple of the guys from last year are not among the players creating the distractions. Sounds like a natural part of the transition, unfortunately. It sounds like Red is handling it appropriately.
So if that is true:
1. He was involved with, but did not have final decision (authority), on recruits.
2. The players know him.
3. Syracuse performance over the past [x] years has something to do with him (5? 20%? 60%? unsure)
4. And, now, we're going to have to rebuild - which will have all the hallmarks of Head Coach Adrian Autry, and no Boeheim - to compete at a high level (building upon the incoming freshmen)

So if that is true:
1. He was involved with, but did not have final decision (authority), on recruits.
2. The players know him.
3. Syracuse performance over the past [x] years has something to do with him (5? 20%? 60%? unsure)
4. And, now, we're going to have to rebuild - which will have all the hallmarks of Head Coach Adrian Autry, and no Boeheim - to compete at a high level (building upon the incoming freshmen)
I don't know if it's true or not, it's just a theory. But, we know Red didn't have final approval over players while JB was coach.

If it makes you feel any better, he shot 22% from 3 in ACC games this year. I think we can find someone in the portal that can do that. I think we can also find a kid that won't whine every time he thinks the refs missed a foul on him. I think we can find a guy that can guard his man without going for a steal every single time down the court. Leaving his team mates to play 4 on 5. And he was anything but jovial.
Gee, sounds like you’re not a fan.

I don't believe the coaching staff will be all that disappointed if he leaves. If we really want to change the culture, he is at near the top of the list.
Question: I’d be hugely disappointed if Q left. But do you think a healthy Chance (I know his history of injuries gives everyone pause) could replicate some of what Q gave us this year in terms of passing, playmaking, finding teammates but with less of the erratic turnovers, plus scoring and rebounding.

Question: I’d be hugely disappointed if Q left. But do you think a healthy Chance (I know his history of injuries gives everyone pause) could replicate some of what Q gave us this year in terms of passing, playmaking, finding teammates but with less of the erratic turnovers, plus scoring and rebounding.
Passing, playmaking, finding teammates, Yes.

Will have to see how well he's recovered to know if he'll be able to average 10 a game. I wouldn't bet on it. I think he's a pretty comparable shooter to Q. One thing I would give to Q is he is a much better rebounder.

If it makes you feel any better, he shot 22% from 3 in ACC games this year. I think we can find someone in the portal that can do that. I think we can also find a kid that won't whine every time he thinks the refs missed a foul on him. I think we can find a guy that can guard his man without going for a steal every single time down the court. Leaving his team mates to play 4 on 5. And he was anything but jovial.
Are you talking about Judah or Q?

FWIW on Reaves- coming from same program Knecht played for last year before Tenn. Not a PG though but definitely a true scorer.

Last edited:
FWIW on Reaves- coming from same program Knecht played for last year before Tenn. Not a PG though but definitely a true scorer.

Definitely a better shooter than Copeland, but smaller and not as explosive. Most likely would come off the bench here like Q

can confirm that they are going to go after a portal guard this off season. They are going after 1 guard, 1 small forward and 1 center apparently.
That arithmetic means that at least 4 on the current roster need to move on.

This is the kid I want from the portal. Insiders: what are the chances? I know he has a connection to Straughn.

I really like the way he plays. Game seems in slow motion, he plays really smooth and under control. I am no insider but if he enters the portal due to his connection with Straughn I feel we would have a really good chance.

Reynolds is very good but similar to Judah in that he's a scoring-focused combo guard. Way more efficient obviously. But would be an interesting fit with JJ as we don't really have a facilitator unless that's what Westry can do.

I would take Reynolds in a second to be clear. He's a very good player. Just isn't a true PG. He plays off- ball a lot.

Reynolds is very good but similar to Judah in that he's a scoring-focused combo guard. Way more efficient obviously. But would be an interesting fit with JJ as we don't really have a facilitator unless that's what Westry can do.

I would take Reynolds in a second to be clear. He's a very good player. Just isn't a true PG. He plays off- ball a lot.
They also may have room for multiple guards depending on how all of this shakes out.

He looks like the total opposite of our current guards. He plays hard on defense and seems to be a good defender from the games I watch. Very efficient scorer and a consistent 3-point shooter. Would imagine he would be a good fit next to JJ especially on offense because JJ plays downhill and gets into the paint while Reynolds looks like he play on the outside and gets his in the flow of the offense.