Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

I didn't post an an opinion on what I thought should be done. I simply stated a fact that is quite obvious to observant people. Q has such a dynamic personality that some chose not to see it. Again just pointing out possible reasoning for letting him move on. Also as orangefog stated Q wants to be a starter. You absolutely can not go into next season with Q being the plan at PG. He isn't starting over JJ, Donnie, Maliq or Bell if he's back. If Q comes back and is a starter next season that likely indicates a huge offseason fail. Plus a healthy Westry projects to be in the same role Q was in this season.
No inside information. But it's disappointing to hear that Q's giving Red a hard time (if that's the case). What I know as a fan is that he's incredibly fun to watch, very athletic and has a knack for getting people the ball. His average this year (with fewer minutes) is about the same as Maliq's (talented player). So there's definitely talent to work with. Hopefully Red can continue to develop him and harness the behaviors, the undisciplined play and the attitude. Westry hasn't played in a couple years .. pretty tough climb to get the starting PG job coming off a major injury and no recent game experience.

I'm not trying to die on the Q as starting PG hill. To me center is first priority. If we do get a portal PG then I hope Q can back him up (and maybe Bell at the 3) and continue to mature as a player and a young man. I think he's earned some patience.

I didn't post an an opinion on what I thought should be done. I simply stated a fact that is quite obvious to observant people. Q has such a dynamic personality that some chose not to see it. Again just pointing out possible reasoning for letting him move on. Also as orangefog stated Q wants to be a starter. You absolutely can not go into next season with Q being the plan at PG. He isn't starting over JJ, Donnie, Maliq or Bell if he's back. If Q comes back and is a starter next season that likely indicates a huge offseason fail. Plus a healthy Westry projects to be in the same role Q was in this season.
Pretty sure I just posted facts that are quite obvious to observant people with any portion of a brain too. You're words suggest to me that you certainly do have the opinion on whether or not you want him here. I'll be straight forward and say that I do want him.

Pretty sure I just posted facts that are quite obvious to observant people with any portion of a brain too. You're words suggest to me that you certainly do have the opinion on whether or not you want him here. I'll be straight forward and say that I do want him.

Yes its obvious that Q is talented and entertaining. The other obvious thing is that those things come at a cost which is what I posted about. My opinion is that its up to Red to decide. I can clearly see both sides of it but lacking a first hand day to day experience Its hard to have a solid opinion one way or the other.

Everyone seems to think we can just go out and pluck anyone we want from the portal. If there’s a point guard, center and forward shooter we want, so is everyone else. We may be very disappointed in whom we may be able to get. Just saying!

No inside information. But it's disappointing to hear that Q's giving Red a hard time (if that's the case). What I know as a fan is that he's incredibly fun to watch, very athletic and has a knack for getting people the ball. His average this year (with fewer minutes) is about the same as Maliq's (talented player). So there's definitely talent to work with. Hopefully Red can continue to develop him and harness the behaviors, the undisciplined play and the attitude. Westry hasn't played in a couple years .. pretty tough climb to get the starting PG job coming off a major injury and no recent game experience.

I'm not trying to die on the Q as starting PG hill. To me center is first priority. If we do get a portal PG then I hope Q can back him up (and maybe Bell at the 3) and continue to mature as a player and a young man. I think he's earned some patience.

I get that you like Q, so do I, that said you should pay more attention to my posts if you think I insinuated that Westry would be the starting PG next season.

Yes its obvious that Q is talented and entertaining. The other obvious thing is that those things come at a cost which is what I posted about. My opinion is that its up to Red to decide. I can clearly see both sides of it but lacking a first hand day to day experience Its hard to have a solid opinion one way or the other.

character.JPG

I get that you like Q, so do I, that said you should pay more attention to my posts if you think I insinuated that Westry would be the starting PG next season.
You didn't say that, I agree .. you said Westry would be in the same position as Q this year (backup). By mentioning Westry as a staring PG, I was not suggesting you said that, just spitballing on next year's lineup ... which is why I also mentioned (expected that) they would go after another PG. I appreciate your input and rely on it (last one to attack you). I'll see myself out of the thread.

Last edited:
You didn't say that, I agree .. you said Westry would be in the same position as Q this year (backup). By mentioning Westry as a staring PG, I was not suggesting you said that, just spitballing on next year's lineup ... which is why I also mentioned (expected that) they would go after another PG. I appreciate your input and rely on it (last one to attack you). I'll see myself out of the thread.

Understood. I don't take anything personally on here. Perhaps I should have read your post more carefully.

Certainly agree we absolutely need to go after a PG and Center.

Everyone seems to think we can just go out and pluck anyone we want from the portal. If there’s a point guard, center and forward shooter we want, so is everyone else. We may be very disappointed in whom we may be able to get. Just saying!
But Red's head might feel better when he can stop hitting it against the wall and he has players who want to be at SU and play for Red and recognize he is the head coach (and stop complaining to the officials about everything).

I'm not doubting Red because I think he can be a good recruiter now that he's HC, but this is definitely a good point. Everyone's talking about addition by subtraction, but we actually need to land better players than the ones leaving. Otherwise it's just gutting the production from a mediocre team. I know it's a new day with Red in charge, but this program hasn't shown me in years that it'll do what it takes. The team wasn't good enough so we 100% need a shakeup, but I'll feel better once we actually land the transfers we need to improve this roster. Again, not saying it won't happen, just saying I'm not blindly assuming we'll turn it around through recruiting the portal.

I'm not doubting Red because I think he can be a good recruiter now that he's HC, but this is definitely a good point. Everyone's talking about addition by subtraction, but we actually need to land better players than the ones leaving. Otherwise it's just gutting the production from a mediocre team. I know it's a new day with Red in charge, but this program hasn't shown me in years that it'll do what it takes. The team wasn't good enough so we 100% need a shakeup, but I'll feel better once we actually land the transfers we need to improve this roster. Again, not saying it won't happen, just saying I'm not blindly assuming we'll turn it around through recruiting the portal.
I think if our NIL is properly funded, we have guys that can grab some talent. Straughn has great connections. I kind of wish we had one more guy like that, because I am not sold on the other three coaches as recruiters. But, hopefully we can be aggressive and sell some transfers on bringing Syracuse basketball back to where it should be...or just outbid other programs.

Reminds me of what the football board was saying during the season about Dino. Can't fire him because we might hire worse.

With the current players we had a 90 whatever NET and not even on the bubble. We are Syracuse it doesn't get much worse than that. Can it get worse? Sure we can be G-Town but we wont become G-Town because we let go of Q.

I think if our NIL is properly funded, we have guys that can grab some talent. Straughn has great connections. I kind of wish we had one more guy like that, because I am not sold on the other three coaches as recruiters. But, hopefully we can be aggressive and sell some transfers on bringing Syracuse basketball back to where it should be...or just outbid other programs.
I think anyone we try to get, we will already have connections to. Either we once recruited them or have connections to Straughn.

You probably do because I don't know anything. Great to hear we are losing one of the more entertaining, fun. jovial, talented players we've had here in a number of years. A guy I think has a high ceiling. Great to hear the coaching staff wants him gone too.
If it makes you feel any better, he shot 22% from 3 in ACC games this year. I think we can find someone in the portal that can do that. I think we can also find a kid that won't whine every time he thinks the refs missed a foul on him. I think we can find a guy that can guard his man without going for a steal every single time down the court. Leaving his team mates to play 4 on 5. And he was anything but jovial.

That limits our options significantly and removes most of the top players off the board. We need to be able to go out and get a guy we haven't already recruited.
Yeah. We do. It is too short sighted to only go for kids that we had a relationship. Especially when the guys nthat I really want us to shoot for are kids at smaller schools who have blown up since they got to college. We wouldn't have gone after them before this.

If it makes you feel any better, he shot 22% from 3 in ACC games this year. I think we can find someone in the portal that can do that. I think we can also find a kid that won't whine every time he thinks the refs missed a foul on him. I think we can find a guy that can guard his man without going for a steal every single time down the court. Leaving his team mates to play 4 on 5. And he was anything but jovial.
100%

Q had some nice moments, but he's not a PG and he's certainly not someone that you can have running a team in any way. He mouths off to the coaches, he lets his emotions control his game, he's constantly out of control and he has overall poor decision making. Can't shoot and doesn't defend. While he's a good rebounder for his size and can get to the rim, he certainly isn't a great finisher, especially with all the fancy crap he unnecessarily tries. 10 years ago, this is a player that doesn't see any time for a Syracuse team.

If Red wants to win, we have to get more consistent, steady and overall better players that can shoot/defend. If true that there are behind the scenes issues, then that has to be ended. Red already allowed too much to go on, he needs to put an end to all the BS this spring/summer.

Yeah. We do. It is too short sighted to only go for kids that we had a relationship. Especially when the guys nthat I really want us to shoot for are kids at smaller schools who have blown up since they got to college. We wouldn't have gone after them before this.
Here’s a player:

Nice numbers and downhill game. Shoots well from 3 and 86% Ft. reminds me of Elijah Hughes who also started at ECU.

Here’s a player:

Nice numbers and downhill game. Shoots well from 3 and 86% Ft. reminds me of Elijah Hughes who also started at ECU.
Better stats in better league. Game reminds u of Judah but better shooting and more willing passer. Thinking JJ knows him as Compass plays LaLum.
With Boynton out maybe he looks elsewhere.

We need more physicality all over the court. We need to bang inside and bump and grind off screens on defense. We need a couple of players who go and get the ball off the boards and not just get the rebounds that fall in your hands. Freeman and Moore are two good pieces. We still need more.

We need more physicality all over the court. We need to bang inside and bump and grind off screens on defense. We need a couple of players who go and get the ball off the boards and not just get the rebounds that fall in your hands. Freeman and Moore are two good pieces. We still need more.
Looking at the names just thrown out here. Which one of these guys wouldn't make us a better team that what we have now? A 37 38% 3 pt shooter at the point looks real good to me. 85+ free throw as well. Now, let's get a banger for the boards. You know, the type of guy we haven't had in years.

I think anyone we try to get, we will already have connections to. Either we once recruited them or have connections to Straughn.

And I have to think this is a bad idea, because it's what we did last summer and 3 out of the 4 guys we brought in were injured.