Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

Next year any returning Sophs will be upperclassman, just saying.

Lets assume that Judah is moving on, the following is all I am comfortable projecting about next years squad:
-Brown, Bell, Copeland all returning front court Juniors who will have big roles.
-JJ returning backcourt Junior who will have a big role.
-Freeman incoming front court Freshman at least 20 minutes.
-Moore incoming Freshman backcourt shooter (role?)
-Copeland returning Junior is an option in some sort of PG role.
After that its very hard to say who will be back and what their roles could be.

2 biggest needs to address IMO
1. PG (even if Q is our guy JJ is not an adequate back up, PG is not his game)
2. Center (even if Brown starts at the 5 we need options to back him up and get him some minutes at the 4)

If we bring in experienced players at those positions that can give us 25 minutes as needed then we could have good nucleus for the staff to work with while evaluating the rest of the roster.
Westry will play

Westry wanted to play a few weeks ago if you asked him - not sure why people are forgetting about him and PG play - he’s a PG

He’s also a cripple.

I’ll believe he’s a PG at Cuse when he’s on the floor during a game that counts and playing PG.

The number one ability for any athlete is availability.

It’s meaningless to speculate what he could do for us, until he can actually do it.

I've seen Donovan, he isn't a better shooter than JJ in my book.
I'd been drinking. I really like his form. I honestly don't think he will even take more than a handful of threes his first year. But, he has potential to be a real threat from three. If JJ can get back to his high school form, he will be even better than he is right now. He is alright, right now.

Copeland will be the PG next year.

Even if he starts, we need another true PG to round out the rotation.

This will never happen. He has averaged over 32 minutes per game for the past three seasons. He also has a chance to become St Joe's all time leading scorer (Jameer Nelson) and have his number retired - one of only four retired numbers.

This is a guy I was looking at, too.

The Minnesota PG looks good and he's from the DMV I think. Seems like the two main attributes needed for this roster would be: three-point shooting and being a pass-first player.

The Minnesota PG looks good and he's from the DMV I think. Seems like the two main attributes needed for this roster would be: three-point shooting and being a pass-first player.
He’s a stud but he just transferred to Minny last year, he leads the B10 in assists. If he does portal again I’d imagine he’d be a very hard get

Somebody mentioned Jaquan Carlos from Hofstra. Looked at his stats and then saw his teammate Dunbar. 6'8 F averages like 18/6.5 and 40+% 3PT. Sign me up. A good shooting forward is what this team needs in addition to PG and C.
I think we need a legit 3 more than anything. CJ Fair light would be great - a little handle, shoot it a bit, add some size for board, consistent production.

He’s a stud but he just transferred to Minny last year, he leads the B10 in assists. If he does portal again I’d imagine he’d be a very hard get
Didn't know that. Good note. What about Brantley from La Salle?

I think we need a legit 3 more than anything. CJ Fair light would be great - a little handle, shoot it a bit, add some size for board, consistent production.
Amarri Tice from Quinnipiac. Seems to be good buddies with JJ, I think they played city rocks together but I’m not sure. From NY, Went to the same hs as Elijah Hughes who he’s also friends with. He’s 6’7 220 shoots 37% from three. Big time athlete and he rebounds and defends well.

Averaging 13 and 7 this year plus 2 steals and 1 block a game.

Last edited:
JJ is going to play some point next year. Doubt there will be a portal PG that contributes regularly. Havent heard there will be a PG add yet

Well, if Judah is not here, you can't only run with 3 guards on the roster - JJ, Copeland and Choppa. You need one more PG. Guys get hurt.

JJ is going to play some point next year. Doubt there will be a portal PG that contributes regularly. Havent heard there will be a PG add yet
Hmm maybe because its March we are in the midst of making a push towards the tournament. I would hope that there aren't rumblings about additions for next years team while we are very much alive and well.

But looking ahead to next year, If Judah is gone and there are options out there for us to add at the PG spot the staff will definitely try and do so. Unless they feel comfortable going with Q. JJ is not a point guard.

Are we looking at portal for a small forward and center?

Amarri Tice from Quinnipiac. Seems to be good buddies with JJ, I think they played city rocks together but I’m not sure. From NY, Went to the same hs as Elijah Hughes who he’s also friends with. He’s 6’7 220 shoots 37% from three. Big time athlete and he rebounds and defends well.

Averaging 13 and 7 this year plus 2 steals and 1 block a game.
Works out with Lydon, Eli; don't think SU ended up offering. Tice had interest in SU coming out of HS being from NY but was more of a late bloomer, went prep to Wofford to Quinnipiac. Improved each year.

Not certain he'd take a depth role, but there are plenty of Orange that could speak on his behalf if the staff wanted to do their due diligence.