Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

If Cuffe and Westry are here that would make 5….

Even when he was healthy back in HS, Westry was kind of like Copeland, except a bit more muscular, and a bit less talented a passer. He's not our starting PG if he hasn't played in 2 years.

Cuffe can play, and is getting better. He would be that guy right now, but I think we need more offense than he offers.

If Cuffe and Westry are here that would make 5….

I think Westry is done. I guess that means the fourth guard will be Cuffe. He is probably better than a lot of guys we could find in the portal for that role.

If Copeland and JJ start, then that's the rotation - with Choppa and Cuffe as 3 and 4 at guard.

If some prefer Cope off the bench, then Cuffe isn't good enough to start over Cope.

So that means if you replace Judah and Cope doesn't start, we need a starting quality guy from the portal to replace him. Someone who has scored double digits, handed out assists, handle the ball and can make a 3 at a reliable rate.

Works out with Lydon, Eli; don't think SU ended up offering. Tice had interest in SU coming out of HS being from NY but was more of a late bloomer, went prep to Wofford to Quinnipiac. Improved each year.

Not certain he'd take a depth role, but there are plenty of Orange that could speak on his behalf if the staff wanted to do their due diligence.
I really think he would be a great add. If one of the forwards moves on he could get significant minutes. Kid would light up the dome with his athleticism.

In regards to Westry, not sure what’s first the chicken or the egg. He was set to come back mid December. Had a set back. Done.

Was he healthy and got injured or has he always been injured and got healthy for a brief time. All I know is this team would have won 3-4 more games if he was playing this year

In regards to Westry, not sure what’s first the chicken or the egg. He was set to come back mid December. Had a set back. Done.

Was he healthy and got injured or has he always been injured and got healthy for a brief time. All I know is this team would have won 3-4 more games if he was playing this year
Do you believe he will be back and starting next year?

Do you believe he will be back and starting next year?

If he's back, it's extremely unlikely that he starts. He hasn't played in 2 years - like Carey and Cuffe this year.

It’s not they can go out and just grab a missing piece off the “center” shelf. Those kids have to want to come here.
I would hope/think it would be a more attractive option with the man-to-man and high scoring.
yeah yeah ...so many schools SU plays have good options at center, even smaller schools in non P5 conferences...it isnt rocket science.

can confirm that they are going to go after a portal guard this off season. They are going after 1 guard, 1 small forward and 1 center apparently.
C and SF, if starting caliber, would have an interesting trickle down on Donnie and Maliq. Assuming Maliq goes back to PF, we know Donnie isn't coming off the bench. Something would have to give there.

Does this mean Bell is gone?
no clue and I'm not sure if these position fills will be "Starting caliber" but was confirmed they will be aiming for depth and talent on all three positions and will recruit each one. Red has been extremely displeased about having to run a 6 man rotation right now because of injuries and lack of quality depth

no clue and I'm not sure if these position fills will be "Starting caliber" but was confirmed they will be aiming for depth and talent on all three positions and will recruit each one. Red has been extremely displeased about having to run a 6 man rotation right now because of injuries and lack of quality depth
Chance Westry and Will Paterson haven’t been traveling with the team last few games. Naheem didn’t travel during the last game. Seems interesting if connected at all

Chance Westry and Will Paterson haven’t been traveling with the team last few games. Naheem didn’t travel during the last game. Seems interesting if connected at all
I didn’t see Chance on the bench for Virginia Tech.

I didn’t see Chance on the bench for Virginia Tech.

Ever since he had the injury setback Ive been wondering if this is a permanent issue and goes back to the little emoji comment from Zagoria when the commitment was announced. Tough break but wonder if he’s done or forever limited…

Seems it would make sense if net result is

portal C, Maliq, Freeman, Moore, JJ, Q, Bell or Taylor , Cuffe , portal PG( bigger get not just depth) then another sf whose a shooter. You keep Patterson Carey and McLeod and see who can give you emergency depth minutes between those 3. I think Taylor can make a jump given he will put everything into being whatever he can to help the team. If Q can hit the 3 ball, Maliq can as well and the new additions at SF and guard can while doing other things then we might be looking at a solid team. Again assuming Chance is possibly never suiting up

Seems it would make sense if net result is

portal C, Maliq, Freeman, Moore, JJ, Q, Bell or Taylor , Cuffe , portal PG( bigger get not just depth) then another sf whose a shooter. You keep Patterson Carey and McLeod and see who can give you emergency depth minutes between those 3. I think Taylor can make a jump given he will put everything into being whatever he can to help the team. If Q can hit the 3 ball, Maliq can as well and the new additions at SF and guard can while doing other things then we might be looking at a solid team. Again assuming Chance is possibly never suiting up
If Chance somehow is able to play, along with JJ, Copeland, and Cuffe, and the freshman, you have 5 pretty good guards.
Chance and Copeland are both 6-6, so you could use a 3 guard lineup with Freeman and Brown.

Good, it’s all about talent acquisition. If we can get guys better than we have, do it.