Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

A backcourt of Malik Mack and Erik Reynolds would be the best in the conference.

That backcourt is really really solid. What happens to JJ he gone?

If Triche, Scoop and Dion could play 25 min a night JJ can.

It isn't about playing time per se but it is about who starts. To bring those quality portal players into the fold there will be competition from them from a bunch of schools who are offering starting spots. To be able to land them you will probably have to offer the same or they will pick the other schools. So if you have to promise those two a starting spot does that mean JJ going to be put on the bench and just accept that without leaving? I doubt that.

It isn't about playing time per se but it is about who starts. To bring those quality portal players into the fold there will be competition from them from a bunch of schools who are offering starting spots. To be able to land them you will probably have to offer the same or they will pick the other schools. So if you have to promise those two a starting spot does that mean JJ going to be put on the bench and just accept that without leaving? I doubt that.
Might be able to convince an ivy leaguer to sit the bench for a season if he really wants to move up.

Might be able to convince an ivy leaguer to sit the bench for a season if he really wants to move up.
Also, Monk is a freshman currently, right? He might be willing to let the two upperclassmen start in front of him, knowing that a spot is his next year to start. And, he would be playing with his buddy Donnie.

"A backcourt of Mintz/Starling/Westry would be the best in the conference" - last year, around this time
I was among those that believed that.

"A backcourt of Mintz/Starling/Westry would be the best in the conference" - last year, around this time
Theres a big difference between Reynolds and Mack vs last year's Starling and Westry. The jokes on you if you believed that two guys who were hurt and underperformed at their previous school would contend for the best backcourt in the conference. This is the complete opposite.

Theres a big difference between Reynolds and Mack vs last year's Starling and Westry. The jokes on you if you believed that two guys who were hurt and underperformed at their previous school would contend for the best backcourt in the conference. This is the complete opposite.
My point was let's wait and see before we start making declarations.

Mack put up great numbers at a school in a terrible conference. If he comes here, you have no idea how that would translate.

My point was let's wait and see before we start making declarations.

Mack put up great numbers at a school in a terrible conference. If he comes here, you have no idea how that would translate.
First off the Ivy is not a terrible conference. And if you watch Mack's game it definitely translates. Against two p5 opponents he had 18 and 6 assists vs BC and 27 and 3 vs IU on 50% shooting.

First off the Ivy is not a terrible conference. And if you watch Mack's game it definitely translates. Against two p5 opponents he had 18 and 6 assists vs BC and 27 and 3 vs IU on 50% shooting.
Over a 31 game ACC schedule does it translate? That's the question that has to be answered

I will say I think Mack passes the eye test in terms of being a pretty promising player. Having said that, while he put up good volume numbers, the scoring efficiency was not particularly good (right around where JJ was this season). Not bad by any means, and definitely impressive for a freshman, but he wasn't really lighting it up in the Ivy League so much as he just had a very big role.

He is also at least a primary ball-handler unlike Reynolds' role at St. Joe's.

I will say I think Mack passes the eye test in terms of being a pretty promising player. Having said that, while he put up good volume numbers, the scoring efficiency was not particularly good (right around where JJ was this season). Not bad by any means, and definitely impressive for a freshman, but he wasn't really lighting it up in the Ivy League so much as he just had a very big role.

He is also at least a primary ball-handler unlike Reynolds' role at St. Joe's.
He got Mono during the season and sat out a month. Tough for a freshman to go through that and it effected his efficiency. Before he was out he was shooting 48% from the field vs when he returned 36%.

Forgot dug is an academic prob. Wasn’t he only allowed to play home games for UM