Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

I know nothing about him, other than a youtube highlight video I just watched… and he looks terrible. I’m sorry. This is a waste if he comes here

I know nothing about him, other than a youtube highlight video I just watched… and he looks terrible. I’m sorry. This is a waste if he comes here
He looks like he sees the floor really well. He gets by defenders with relative ease and has a nice body hesitation move to blow by people and finish with either hand. His 3 point shot looks a bit mechanical. But you can’t judge players from highlights alone.

He looks like he sees the floor really well. He gets by defenders with relative ease and has a nice body hesitation move to blow by people and finish with either hand. His 3 point shot looks a bit mechanical. But you can’t judge players from highlights alone.
If they don’t look good in a highlight video, when will they?

If they don’t look good in a highlight video, when will they?
He didn’t look bad to me. I just didn’t like his 3 point shot which means nothing really by looking at a few highlights.

Judah had a 25.7% AST% this year.

Reynolds was at 15.4%, and even lower in conference play (13%).

We will also most likely lose Q, who was second on the team at 22%. Next highest is Maliq at 11% - he’s a good passer but clearly not a guy who should be initiating the majority of the offense.

We just need more passing on this team. JJ and Bell are both very good scorers but they aren’t passers.

Mack was at 33.2% this year
Reynolds did not play PG for SJU this season so comparing assist #s is not completely fair. I watched Reynolds a lot cuz my son graduated from SJU and I can tell you he is a far superior offensive talent to Mintz. Explosive athlete, much better shooter.

It possible they are hoping to bring someone in like Carlos to run point and then go after a guy like Reynolds if he hits the portal? Or Mack? Someone mentioned not being able to afford 2 guys like Reynolds and Mack together so would snagging one of them to go along with a pg be what they're thinking?

It possible they are hoping to bring someone in like Carlos to run point and then go after a guy like Reynolds if he hits the portal? Or Mack? Someone mentioned not being able to afford 2 guys like Reynolds and Mack together so would snagging one of them to go along with a pg be what they're thinking?
If we can’t afford these two guys we’re in big trouble.

Its affording them while also affording everyone else. Its the total budget year over year.
I would hope we are trying to recruit better talent than this, so we better have deeper pockets. Top twenty recruits will not come cheap.

I would hope we are trying to recruit better talent than this, so we better have deeper pockets. Top twenty recruits will not come cheap.
Maybe we shouldn’t hyperventilate until we actually see guys visit. There’s a bunch of guys out there with 20 schools attached to their name. Some guys do that to bump their rep. We also need a backup PG and he would be fine for it.

Nobody on our roster should be breaking the bank. Not being able to afford top-end players in this cycle should send out some alarm bells.

Sure but that doesn't mean they don't count toward the budget. I expect we have a cap every year but that we are also trying to increase that cap year by year. I agree that we need to improve top end talent while also improving depth. I think with the exception of the Jesse situation we did well in the portal. Time takes time so we will see.

I think this is likely where we are headed. We have zero PG’s on the roster right now.

He’s an ideal backup PG. Better offensively than Symir and can make plays in the pick and roll. Not a guy I’m handing the keys to but doesn’t mean that’s what is the thought process

Does anyone else think [fear?] that the plan might be to go with the following lineup?

PG - JJ
SG - Choppa
SF - Bell
PF - Freeman
C - Brown

...and that the goal [with high probability of losing Judah, Copeland, etc.] is to get:
  1. A backup guard, to bolster depth
  2. A backup forward, to bolster depth
  3. A backup big, to improve what we have in McLeod / Patterson / Carey

Does anyone else think [fear?] that the plan might be to go with the following lineup?

PG - JJ
SG - Choppa
SF - Bell
PF - Freeman
C - Brown

...and that the goal [with high probability of losing Judah, Copeland, etc.] is to get:
I can’t see that being the team. The backcourt is completely unproven. We need to make the tournament next year and be capable of winning games in it.. I’m not even sure that’s bubble worthy.

PG - JJ
SG - Choppa
SF - Bell
PF - Freeman
C - Brown

Ooof I sure hope not

PG - JJ
SG - Choppa
SF - Bell
PF - Freeman
C - Brown

God I hope not and don’t believe so.