Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 57 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

Entering the portal this late I imagine he has a good idea of where he is going or what offers are out there for him. My hope is that Leffew picked some place else and we reached out :) I can dream right? I mean this is pretty much the exact type of player we need over a combo guard type.

I love him. He was the guy I wanted from day 1 but was never sure if he’d actually enter the portal. If there’s a chance here and Red lands him, our whole season outlook changes
Prove it.

Jk

I like the lil guy. Reminds me of myself but 3 inches taller, same weight (last year), and I play golf.

Yes….but not at that level. Those roles are fewer and far between. I’m waiting for Cuse181 to apply for those higher level roles ;)
What industry are we talking about here? Asking for a friend….

Until you have a commitment from Leffew how do you not reach out to one of the best distributors on the market when you don’t have a pure pg on the roster?!?

Maybe they know Leffew is coming, but if he doesn’t…

I’m surprised that there haven’t been any other visits. Seems like a high risk strategy when Leffew is taking visits anyone can swoop in at any moment and offer a bigger bag.

I have no clue what we are doing right now but one thing I want to mention is everyone knew Mintz wasn’t coming back why not at least recruit a PG for the 2024 class to backup starling if he is one starting PG?

I have no clue what we are doing right now but one thing I want to mention is everyone knew Mintz wasn’t coming back why not at least recruit a PG for the 2024 class to backup starling if he is one starting PG?
I think the coaches are leaning heavily into the 2025 class for multiple reasons, including Kiyan/Melo, and there's a pg they want to come with Kiyan. Red's 3rd year. Hopefully it pays off since every year teams need to be rebuilt to win now since you have to assume everyone's a one-year rental anyways.

I think they want a lead guard who can shoot and isn't going to dominate the ball. A guy who helps spread the floor, can be relied on for ball security, can do some playmaking and can get his own when necessary.

The shooting is a big part of it:

-JJ finished at 32-33% from 3 after going 1-18 the first 7 games (5.5%). Then finished 43-118 his last 25 games (36.4%). This suggests to me that he is a mid 30's+ shooter and could improve a couple ticks on that next year.
-Bell shot 42% from 3 when teams schemed against him and knew what he was out there to do.
-Dakota shot 36.5% last year while transitioning to PG and 38% the previous year.

Combining those 3 together by itself should yield better quality shots and better results. Then our new PF Donnie is also capable enough to have to be covered at the 3pt line and our new center Eddie is a legitimate post threat. I think the staff is looking to establish the post which forces the defense to chose to defend one on one or give up a shot or driving lane if they want to help.

As mentioned above this also doesn't mess with the 2025 plan either.

Last edited:
I think they want a lead guard who can shoot and isn't going to dominate the ball. A guy who helps spread the floor, can be relied on for ball security, can do some playmaking and can get his own when necessary.

The shooting is a big part of it:

-JJ finished at 32-33% from 3 after going 1-18 the first 7 games (5.5%). Then finished 43-118 his last 25 games (36.4%). This suggests to me that he is a mid 30's+ shooter and could improve a couple ticks on that next year.
-Bell shot 42% from 3 when teams schemed against him and knew what he was out there to do.
-Dakota shot 36.5% last year while transitioning to PG and 38% the previous year.

Combining those 3 together by itself should yield better quality shots and better results. Then our new PF Donnie is also capable enough to have to be covered at the 3pt line and our new center Eddie is a legitimate post threat. I think the staff is looking to establish the post which forces the defense to chose to defend one on one or give up a shot or driving lane if they want to help.

As mentioned above this also doesn't mess with the 2025 plan either.
Yeah, definitely a better balanced team and one not as easy to defend as this year's squad.

Hawkins would excite me. He just screams PG. However, if the staff prefers Leffew, so be it. Watching tape on Jaquan Carlos, he doesn't seem as good of a slasher/driver to the basket (esp compared to Hawkins). Most of his drives that I've seen are pretty straight forward blowing by guys, which will likely be much more difficult in the ACC. Leffew's assist to turnover ratio is still concerning to me as I watch other guys.

Hawkins would excite me. He just screams PG. However, if the staff prefers Leffew, so be it. Watching tape on Jaquan Carlos, he doesn't seem as good of a slasher/driver to the basket (esp compared to Hawkins). Most of his drives that I've seen are pretty straight forward blowing by guys, which will likely be much more difficult in the ACC. Leffew's assist to turnover ratio is still concerning to me as I watch other guys.

I think Carlos is quick enough to get into the paint but absent developing a very good floater game, I don't see him finishing very well in the ACC. He generally is looking more for kickouts than his own shots when he drives anyways, but teams will be able to gameplan for that.