Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 60 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

Easier said than done but hope we target a shooter to stretch the floor. Not as worried about a volume scorer - think we have plenty of firepower between Bell, Starling, Donnie and Lampkin. Need another good shooter for spacing.

Easier said than done but hope we target a shooter to stretch the floor. Not as worried about a volume scorer - think we have plenty of firepower between Bell, Starling, Donnie and Lampkin. Need another good shooter for spacing.
Max Shulga.

So whose the next target?
1000007780.gif

Just curious: whatever happened to that kid who was originally from Syracuse? His name was mentioned before the portal even opened up.

if I were red, I would be looking squarely at AJ Hoggard, who just entered the portal from Michigan State. He’s a 23-year-old tough point guard who’s been in Izzo system for four years and is originally from Pennsylvania.
Depends on how much NIL he's looking for and if we have ties with him. I do like his game.

Teams I see on Rivals that recruited him were Indiana, Ole Miss, Providence, Yukon, and Dayton.

Last edited:
if I were red, I would be looking squarely at AJ Hoggard, who just entered the portal from Michigan State. He’s a 23-year-old tough point guard who’s been in Izzo system for four years and is originally from Pennsylvania.
It doesn't mean very much but Hoggard and a lot of the current team follow each other on IG.

Hesitant to believe we could afford a player of Hoggard's caliber if we couldn't afford Leffew, and that's where the issue rises.

Would be nice to see involvement with one or more of Aidan Mahaney, AJ Hoggard, DJ Wagner, Deivon Smith, Elijah Hawkins.
For anyone that knows the NIL budget, can Cuse afford any of these guys?

Hoggard and Smith would be my preference followed by Hawkins.

Hesitant to believe we could afford a player of Hoggard's caliber if we couldn't afford Leffew, and that's where the issue rises.
I hope it was more a matter of not wanting to exceed a set limit for a certain player, and now that we’ve been spurned, adjustments to the value expectations will be made. If the dollars just aren’t available at all, then we’ve likely got some long-term problems.

Javon Small - Oklahoma St. - 6-3, 195
This past season he averaged 15.1 points, 4.1 assists, 4.7 rebounds while shooting 44.1% from the field, including 37.4% from three.

Aidan Mahaney - Saint Mary's - 6-3, 180
More of a combo guard who averaged 13.9 PPG shooting 38.6% from the field and 35.5% from three.

Devion Smith - Utah - 6-0, 173
One year of eligibility. Averaged 13.3 points, 7.1 assists, 6.3 rebounds while shooting 40.8% from three.

Dallin Hall - South Florida - 6-4, 200
He averaged 9.0 points, 5.1 assists, and shot 35.9 percent from deep this season.

AJ Hoggard is a big PG who is now available as a grad transfer as mentioned above.

And of course there is Kadary (but we know isn't a 3 point shooter). I'd also still be intrigued with DJ Wagner (shot needs work).

Last edited:
Javon Small - Oklahoma St. - 6-3, 195
This past season he averaged 15.1 points, 4.1 assists, 4.7 rebounds while shooting 44.1% from the field, including 37.4% from three.

Aidan Mahoney - Saint Mary's - 6-3, 180
More of a combo guard who averaged 13.9 PPG shooting 38.6% from the field and 35.5% from three.

Devion Smith - Utah - 6-0, 173
One year of eligibility. Averaged 13.3 points, 7.1 assists, 6.3 rebounds while shooting 40.8% from three.

Dallin Hall - South Florida - 6-4, 200
He averaged 9.0 points, 5.1 assists, and shot 35.9 percent from deep this season.

AJ Hoggard is a big PG who is now available as a grad transfer as mentioned above.

And of course there is Kadary (but we know isn't a 3 point shooter). I'd also still be intrigued with DJ Wagner (shot needs work).
Mahaney just committed to Kentucky. Posh Alexander the PG from Butler in the portal too.

Mahaney just committed to Kentucky. Posh Alexander the PG from Butler in the portal too.
Mahaney is visiting UK. Haven't seen a commit yet.

Posh is solid (averaged 11.3 points, 4.9 assists, 4.6 rebounds, 2.2 steals) but not a three point shooter (27.6%).

Mahaney is visiting UK. Haven't seen a commit yet.

Posh is solid (averaged 11.3 points, 4.9 assists, 4.6 rebounds, 2.2 steals) but not a three point shooter (27.6%).
Ah good call. Saw Tipton post and thought it said committed. Yeah I wish Posh was a better three point shooter but at this point…