Possible Portal Point Guards | Page 62 | Syracusefan.com

Possible Portal Point Guards

Javon Small seems very interesting but I think he is a sophomore was hoping for a vet leader but maybe he would work well with Carlos

Javon Small seems very interesting but I think he is a sophomore was hoping for a vet leader but maybe he would work well with Carlos
I believe he has one year left. (2 years at East Carolina and last year at Ok. St.)

Seeing Creighton get a guy like Pop Isaacs is just annoying to see. There’s no way Creighton has more NIL than us.
And there should be no way that programs like Creighton, Xavier, Butler and Providence should have more success than us.
Think again. Creighton is in Omaha. Turns out that the Sage of Omaha--Mr. Warren Buffett--is a Bluejay fan.

Last edited:
Well, I hope for Red’s sake our PG next year is better than Junior year Copeland, or else a lot of fans will give Red a hard time, regardless of what’s said on here about him.
So Copeland by all accounts was a problem to the staff and lockeroom? That is what you want on Syracuse? Who by reports didn’t go to class? People blaming Red for Copelands immaturity and stupidity?
Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF

So Copeland by all accounts was a problem to the staff and lockeroom? That is what you want on Syracuse? Who by reports didn’t go to class? People blaming Red for Copelands immaturity and stupidity?
It’s not blaming red for copes actions, it’s the curiosity around how Copeland, by all accounts, was not a problem last year but became one this year. Why did that happen. Why was it allowed to permeate the locker room and what will stop it from happening again.

If we can’t afford any of these types of PGs, then we’re in trouble as a program and the NIL situation must improve stat.
I agree with this 100%. Wish others would understand it.

True that Creighton is in Omaha. False on Buffett, he does not care much about sports nor donate and if he does anything he is a Nebraska grad and fan.
I remember an interview he had on The Dan Patrick Show where Creighton was mentioned favorably.

I didn’t say that. I said a lot of fans will not be happy with Red. 85% of fans probably don’t know why he left. Just commenting that Red’s going to catch a hard time from a lot of fans if our pg is worse than the guy who left. Doesn’t reflect on my personal opinion at all, just the realities of Red’s job.

I have no idea if Javon Small has any interest in SU or not. And I know Leffew has PG abilities. But only Syracuse fans could begrudgingly pivot from the #117 overall, #17 shooting guard to the #7 overall, #1 point guard in the portal and act like it would be an acceptable fallback to offer him whatever we offered the #117 guy that decided to go home.

I have no idea if Javon Small has any interest in SU or not. And I know Leffew has PG abilities. But only Syracuse fans could begrudgingly pivot from the #117 overall, #17 shooting guard to the #7 overall, #1 point guard in the portal and act like it would be an acceptable fallback to offer him whatever we offered the #117 guy that decided to go home.
Small is the #72 overall prospect, according to the Athletic.

Yes. Yes, I do. So maybe we allot more NIL for one of the said players. Dakota was our choice one. Miss. Reassess and move on...
That is a loaded statement, he couldn’t have been Red’s top pick of any guard in the portal (if so I have different concerns). So he had to be the guy they thought they could afford/land. It seems unlikely that now they are gonna start shooting for HIGHER rated portal guys (although I hope they are).

And I don’t understand how Syracuse hasn’t been linked to/brought in for a visit (that I know of) any player that could be an acc caliber starting pt guard, no disrespect to Carlos.

If we can’t afford such a player, Red/the program needs to get that message out to the fan base.

Last edited:
That is a loaded statement, he couldn’t have been Red top pick of any guard in the portal (if so I have different concerns). So he had to be the guy they thought they could afford/land. It seems unlikely that now they are gonna start shooting for HIGHER rated portal guys (although I hope they are).

And I don’t understand how Syracuse hasn’t been linked to/brought in for a visit (that I know of) any player that could be an acc caliber starting pt guard, no disrespect to Carlos.

If we can’t afford such a player, Red/the program needs to get that message out to the fan base.
I would have thought that we would have reserved the highest NIL amount for a PG. Red knew for months that Mintz was not coming back Makes no sense if now we can’t afford a good PG

Strange that ND is on there. The kid they had last year was awesome. As a true frosh he ran around us.
I read that he was testing the NBA draft. Guess ND is fishing for a pg, just in case. Amazing, he’s listed at just 5’11 and was only a 3 star recruit. Had a phenomenal year. Guess you never absolutely know with recruits.