Post Draft Views on Our Guys..... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Post Draft Views on Our Guys.....

To be able to push tempo we need a capable second
Adjusted Tempo rankings for SU from KenPom show that JB has been trending towards a slower pace the last 4 seasons. I'd say it has to do with a lot more than just Ennis' strengths

2014-343
2013- 252
2012- 209
2011-177
2010-55
2009-34
2008-27
2007-28

We have lacked a second capable ball handler which IMHO Is why our offensive tempo is on the decline. Had MCW stayed another year things would have line up perfectly. Last season wouldve been mcw/ennis running the show and this season would be ennis/kj. As it stands were looking at our third straight year of a young, talented pg that we can't afford to take off the court.

Nice info. Thanks. Wonder if our opponents slowing down the pace to get a better shot against the zone has affected our offensive pace. If opponents are dictating that we play defense for long periods , it maybe affecting the risks we take in pushing tempo and taking quick shots ourselves.

What I also realized is our fg% has been declining too.

2014- .437
2013- .439
2012- .467
2011- .472
2010- .516

So the question is: does the slowing tempo tempo help create our declining fg% or did a decline of scorers, shooters, speed result in a strategy of slowing the tempo (the opponent also can't score when we have the ball either) and depending on our strong defense more. Regardless, the change from our normal face paced tempo of the past is interesting.

An Inside scoring presence would go a long way in fixing that. Our fg dropping coinsides with our primary post options going from AO to Rick to Fab to Dajuan Moussa Christmas. Likewise we need to find an outside threat again which is something I can't remember us ever lacking until the past two seasons. Perhaps this is why we're pushing tempo down as well. No sense in rushing into a mid range jumper which is all we had last season.

An Inside scoring presence would go a long way in fixing that. Our fg dropping coinsides with our primary post options going from AO to Rick to Fab to Dajuan Moussa Christmas. Likewise we need to find an outside threat again which is something I can't remember us ever lacking until the past two seasons. Perhaps this is why we're pushing tempo down as well. No sense in rushing into a mid range jumper which is all we had last season.

I just can't wait for Malachi to start playing. For once in a very long time we may actually have a credible outside threat!!

Dave85 said:
I just can't wait for Malachi to start playing. For once in a very long time we may actually have a credible outside threat!!

Since at least the end of last season.

Since at least the end of last season.

I'm not sure going 4-6 the last ten games counts. My theory was JB needed one or two more players because everyone was banged up at the end (even though it wasn't reported).

The 2013-14 season was a tough one. It kind of felt like the 96-97 season. Alright, maybe not that bad. This is how I will remember 2013-14 season:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...m-thinks-charge-call-was-worst-year-loss-duke

"I've only been thrown out once in my life and that was an exhibition game," Boeheim said.

I just hate the way a charge/block call can change a game. That and referees making a bunch of no-calls in favor of the home team.

Dave85 said:
I'm not sure going 4-6 the last ten games counts. My theory was JB needed one or two more players because everyone was banged up at the end (even though it wasn't reported). The 2013-14 season was a tough one. It kind of felt like the 96-97 season. Alright, maybe not that bad. This is how I will remember 2013-14 season: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...m-thinks-charge-call-was-worst-year-loss-duke "I've only been thrown out once in my life and that was an exhibition game," Boeheim said. I just hate the way a charge/block call can change a game. That and referees making a bunch of no-calls in favor of the home team.

You must be replying to another post. This reply has nothing to do with my post you quoted.

To be able to push tempo we need a capable second

We have lacked a second capable ball handler which IMHO Is why our offensive tempo is on the decline. Had MCW stayed another year things would have line up perfectly. Last season wouldve been mcw/ennis running the show and this season would be ennis/kj. As it stands were looking at our third straight year of a young, talented pg that we can't afford to take off the court.

I agree that it could be a major factor as well. The best teams have this. Even Arizona, who you can argue got robbed in the Wisconsin game in the Elite 8, survived a key injury because they have more guys who can create off the dribble for themselves and others. Good ballhandlers and passers at the forward positions as well. More interchangeable parts.

Big concern like you say heading into the season is if a credible ballhandler other than PG can emerge. Can't have a repeat of last season of extreme heavy minutes for the starting backcourt. Doesn't matter for seasoned guys and stars like a Napier/Boatwright combo but for a raw duo like Ennis/Cooney it was a problem.

You must be replying to another post. This reply has nothing to do with my post you quoted.

I implied we did not have a credible outside threat. You said, "Since at least the end of last season." I thought you meant we DID have a credible threat last season. I then said going 4-6 the last 10 games does not indicate we have a credible outside threat. Maybe you could clarify what you meant by since at least the end of last season.

As I said, I can't wait for Malachi to start playing. For once in a very long time we may actually have a credible outside threat!!

Dave85 said:
I implied we did not have a credible outside threat. You said, "Since at least the end of last season." I thought you meant we DID have a credible threat last season. I then said going 4-6 the last 10 games does not indicate we have a credible outside threat. Maybe you could clarify what you meant by since at least the end of last season. As I said, I can't wait for Malachi to start playing. For once in a very long time we may actually have a credible outside threat!!

Reread your reply to me. Nothing in it had anything to do with whether we had a threat or not. You talk about our record the last 10 games, JB needing more players, an article about the Duke charge, etc.

And I'll repeat, we had a threat. So saying we will finally have a threat, is wrong.