Post spring unit Depth Charts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Post spring unit Depth Charts

Its movement based scheme. Its not your typical 3-4 defense. They need quicker and more explosive lineman to perform all the loops, stunts in the defense. If guys aren't it the right fits it hurts the overall scheme. Duke and Georgia tech games in 2020. Those are prime examples of what happens when you have guys are not in the right spots.
So does it matter that we don't have the 300 pounders? Are we worrying too much about that?

Linton needs to stay healthy and maintain weight.

The depths not sufficient, not is the size.

Im beating a dead horse, I know, but it is a major flaw.
It’s a concern that if possible should addressed in the portal.

Can't wait 6 games before figuring out Safety lineup. We brought in size and talent, play them Game 1.
Ja'Had Carter
Bralyn Oliver
Alijah Clark

Simmons and Nunn as safeties bring corner size and linebacker speed - Ugh

Darton before Fuentes
And would Fuentes then play at DE before Simmons? I'm thinking maybe so. I haven't heard too much about Simmons. Guess I haven't heard too much about Fuentes either but that would be my guess. Also based on size.

So does it matter that we don't have the 300 pounders? Are we worrying too much about that?
We didnt have any 300 pounders last season and we were fine. Our best D lineman played at 270 last year. I think most people are concern of the lack of older and experienced lineman. Im concern about that as well. The staff knows they need help and they will pursue transfers that can actually do that.

Last edited:
Can't wait 6 games before figuring out Safety lineup. We brought in size and talent, play them Game 1.
Ja'Had Carter
Bralyn Oliver
Alijah Clark

Nunn is a backup cornerback. I don't think he is being concerned for one of the safety positions this spring.

Simmons is one of our fastest players. If he gets beat out, it will not be because he is too slow. He was out of position a lot last season. Missed some tackles too. To me, those look to be his biggest issues.

The other starting safety in the spring game was Coley. I believe he and Barron are going to battle it out for the starting rover job but Oliver is obviously really talented and the staff might give him a shot there too.

I expect 5 or 6 players will play at these positions. Coach White likes to play a bunch of guys.

And would Fuentes then play at DE before Simmons? I'm thinking maybe so. I haven't heard too much about Simmons. Guess I haven't heard too much about Fuentes either but that would be my guess. Also based on size.
Have no clue. Depends on how they develop and know the defense. Versatility allows you to play more snaps.

Nunn is a backup cornerback. I don't think he is being concerned for one of the safety positions this spring.

Simmons is one of our fastest players. If he gets beat out, it will not be because he is too slow. He was out of position a lot last season. Missed some tackles too. To me, those look to be his biggest issues.

The other starting safety in the spring game was Coley. I believe he and Barron are going to battle it out for the starting rover job but Oliver is obviously really talented and the staff might give him a shot there too.

I expect 5 or 6 players will play at these positions. Coach White likes to play a bunch of guys.
No way Simmons is one of our fastest players. Maybe he is savvy, but gets blown by by even MAC talent. I'm fine with Coley playing, even starting. But he shouldn't get Buddy Boeheim minutes, not with the new talent brought in.

My gripe with Dino is he gives the incumbents the benefit of the doubt; then our chances for a successful season are gone because we have a front loaded schedule.

Ja'Had Carter
Bralyn Oliver
Alijah Clark

I don' tthink Coley has a ton of upside and I could see Simmons getting replaced as a starter as well. But I don't agree with your last sentence at all. Simmons was OK at covering but I would think he'd be a bit better this year. I wouldn't say Linebacker speed though. Nunn is a primarily a corner right now I think and not a safety. And I don't think speed is a problem for him at all.

Not sure if Alijah ends up as a CB or Safety but he will be in the mix this fall and could possibly work up to a starting safety spot come the fall. SU just really hasn't seen him yet, well unless he has returned this past week. Sounds like he was close to returning.

I woudn't be surprised to see Oliver crack the starting rotation either. We are good at safety depth for sure.

Could be. I based it on Fuentes starting with the twos, size, and if it’s even go with the younger guy.
Not sure how either of the two have developed but I will go with the more experienced guy. Darton has a lot of Acc snaps.

The safeties, in general, seemed to struggle with coverage all last season. I like Simmons in run support, but he seemed to be targeted in the passing game.

Based on the spring game, Oliver can fly. I'm looking forward to watching him develop here.

Not sure how either of the two have developed but I will go with the more experienced guy. Darton has a lot of Acc snaps.
I think they go at least three deep at DT. They played four last year with Lockett earning more time as the season went along.

Cornerback drops off a cliff after the 1s. Hope those 2 stay healthy and Isaiah Johnson is game ready.

Not sure our open scholarship number, but 2 DL, 1 OL, 1 TE transfer would be ideal. We all know how things go in November around here.
Don't forget about Aljiah Clark. With the addition of Isaiah Johnson and Clark I think we are actually in pretty good shape at corner. With some of the frosh like Jeremiah Wilson, Greg Delaine and Cornell Perry and Quan Peterson we should be fine. These frosh can certainly help with depth at corner. Delaine actually would be our 5th highest rated recruit this year.

Actually GoSU96 we still need to add Isaiah Johnson and Cornell Perry to that DB list.

Don't forget about Aljiah Clark. With the addition of Isaiah Johnson and Clark I think we are actually in pretty good shape at corner. With some of the frosh like Jeremiah Wilson, Greg Delaine and Cornell Perry and Quan Peterson we should be fine. These frosh can certainly help with depth at corner. Delaine actually would be our 5th highest rated recruit this year.

Actually GoSU96 we still need to add Isaiah Johnson and Cornell Perry to that DB list.
Parry is there. SU has Johnson as a running back.

SU has Johnson as a running back.

They have Hough as an RB still too.

Where are you seeing Johnson on the roster? I don't see him on cuse.com

Offensive Line

NO.NAMEPOS.HT.WT.YR.DC
52Carlos VettorelloOC6-4299R-Jr.1
57Dakota DavisOG6-5336R-Sr.1
63Christopher BleichOG6-6335R-Jr.1
76Kalan EllisOG6-6388So.1
60Matthew BergeronOT6-5327Jr.1
55Josh IlaoaOC6-3302So.2
73Wes HoehOG6-4281RF2
74Jakob BradfordOG6-5296R-So.2
56Darius TisdaleOT6-5279R-Sr.2
71Enrique Cruz Jr.OT6-6303RF2
70Wil FroumyOC6-6280R-Jr.3
72Mark PetryOG6-4269R-So.3
75Austyn KauhiOG6-5271RF3
53Garth BarclayOG6-7284RF3
51Anthony RedOT6-5290R-So.3
59Ahmad MasoodOG6-3250RF4
77Tyler MagnusonOT6-6286RF4
Chad SchusterOT6-6280Fr.4
Joe CruzOT6-6280Fr.4
3 guards and 1 tackle

I know there is concern about the Dline but way to early to freak out. We have no idea how the current players will continue to develop over the next 5 months. Also the portal has a number of DTs right now with a number more probably entering over the next three weeks. The staff will finish spring ball this week assess their needs and then go and attempt to address them. If Dline and 1 OL is the biggest concern in April for the team than we are way ahead of the last few years.

They have Hough as an RB still too.

Where are you seeing Johnson on the roster? I don't see him on cuse.com
My bad on Johnson , carry over from signing day update. On Hough he was in Orange so that seems official

I appreciate the effort, but this is funny

There are still two practices left in spring football. Tough to have a “post spring” depth chart before spring has been completed.

In the secondary...
  • Interesting how a corners like Clay Matthews (not a safety) and Jeremiah Wilson who have been running with the second unit for most of the spring get bumped down to the fourth unit. Both did well in the spring game.
  • Greenwood has played safety all spring and not corner. You have him as a CB.
  • Cam Reirden plays safety, not corner.
  • Barron hasn't played a single snap this spring (injury). You have him with the second unit.
  • Nunn has been held out of both scrimmages. You have him with the second unit.
  • Rob Hannah missed the last couple of weeks (inc spring game) due to injury.
  • Alijah Clark, only started drills last week. Held out of the spring game.
  • Cornell Perry is out injured. Could be out for some time (hopefully not).
  • Isaiah Johnson (xfer from Dartmouth) arrives in the summer. You have him listed as a RB.

On the offensive line...
  • Bleich has been out all spring. Recovering from surgery.
  • Ellis missed the spring game due to injury.
  • You got guys listed as fourth team who were running with the second team.

At QB, how do you separate Morgan and Villari?

At WR, it may matter who is 1st or 2nd team because it looks like we will use a deep rotation. I'll say this, any receiver who can run block downfield will have chance to get on the field.

In my opinion (it's not worth much), a post spring depth chart should reflect the work done during the spring. A position on a post-spring depth chart should be earned during the spring.

A projected depth chart for fall camp could be very different as recovery from injuries, new arrivals and any departures are considered.

Fall camp battles will go on for three weeks before we enter game week going into the game week before the game against Louisville.

I was at the game and enjoyed getting a chance to see what the younger players can do in a game-like situation. I watched the game when I got home and it's definitely a different perspective.

Get healthy and stay healthy!

I appreciate the effort, but this is funny

There are still two practices left in spring football. Tough to have a “post spring” depth chart before spring has been completed.

In the secondary...
  • Interesting how a corners like Clay Matthews (not a safety) and Jeremiah Wilson who have been running with the second unit for most of the spring get bumped down to the fourth unit. Both did well in the spring game.
  • Greenwood has played safety all spring and not corner. You have him as a CB.
  • Cam Reirden plays safety, not corner.
  • Barron hasn't played a single snap this spring (injury). You have him with the second unit.
  • Nunn has been held out of both scrimmages. You have him with the second unit.
  • Rob Hannah missed the last couple of weeks (inc spring game) due to injury.
  • Alijah Clark, only started drills last week. Held out of the spring game.
  • Cornell Perry is out injured. Could be out for some time (hopefully not).
  • Isaiah Johnson (xfer from Dartmouth) arrives in the summer. You have him listed as a RB.

On the offensive line...
  • Bleich has been out all spring. Recovering from surgery.
  • Ellis missed the spring game due to injury.
  • You got guys listed as fourth team who were running with the second team.

At QB, how do you separate Morgan and Villari?

At WR, it may matter who is 1st or 2nd team because it looks like we will use a deep rotation. I'll say this, any receiver who can run block downfield will have chance to get on the field.

In my opinion (it's not worth much), a post spring depth chart should reflect the work done during the spring. A position on a post-spring depth chart should be earned during the spring.

A projected depth chart for fall camp could be very different as recovery from injuries, new arrivals and any departures are considered.

Fall camp battles will go on for three weeks before we enter game week going into the game week before the game against Louisville.

I was at the game and enjoyed getting a chance to see what the younger players can do in a game-like situation. I watched the game when I got home and it's definitely a different perspective.

Get healthy and stay healthy!
Thanks for the input , and the attitude. Sorry if I don’t have granular fidelity on a 20 man db unit. I didn’t chart every play by the secondary. There is guess work and inferences based on incomplete information.

As for the OL it takes into account the fact that three projected starters were out, which means that some guys that were on the second unit are going to get bumped down.

Same with vets elsewhere that were out with injury.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom