Postgame Thoughts… GT | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… GT

This game result was why I wasn’t upset with the loss to Miami.
We are pretty solid team that is improving.
Miami showed we can play with pretty much anyone not Virginia in the league.
We will win a lot of conference games I don’t think we are a tournament team because of the nonconference results but we are an improving team.

-I can say without reservation that this was the best game of Joe’s career. Not only was he dominant but we didn’t have to pay the JG3 tax of heat checks and bad shots after made ones. He took care of the ball beautifully and was unselfish. He closed out on defense as hard as I can recall. Just a brilliant performance.
-give Judah credit. After the Miami nightmare he came back and was under control and found guys for easy baskets. That he can do that and show he is coachable and able to learn from his mistakes says a ton. He does seem to lose concentration at the free throw line.
-Maliq was excellent. All he does is hustle. Every coach he has played for must love him. Frankly I can’t understand why he doesn’t start. His defensive presence is so much better than our other forwards it literally has put us at a disadvantage in the beginning of games. It is not a coincidence that we always seem to be losing at the first TV time out.
-give Quadir a ton of credit. He has not played much but he cheers on the team and clearly kept himself ready to go. Some people on the game thread were getting a little carried away about his rebounding, as the majority of his rebounds basically bounced right to him. I’m not sure he is ready and that three was ugly but he was not overwhelmed and I am confident he will be very good player here if he stays.
-again good to see Jesse dominate against opponents that he should. Now we need him to step up against North Carolina. Likewise we will need Hima to play well like he did today. I don’t know how the staff found that kid on the bench at Dusquene but he is very useful.

We will win a lot of conference games I don’t think we are a tournament team because of the nonconference results but we are an improving team.
I’m not upset that we lost to Miami.

but I’m upset that we are getting behind early consistently and changing nothing. You just can’t beat better teams getting behind every game,

If you dont watch to change the lineup, change the strategy. Extend the zone way out. Play the 1-3-1. Press.

Awful first 5’ of this one….but a great close to build a halftime lead.

Girard was phenomenal all over the court (while not sitting). Especially in the first half when we needed it, and some great passes to Edwards and Brown in the second.

Brown was equally great. So many deflections, smart plays, strong finishes. Love his game a LOT and have for awhile.

What’s nice is having options. Props to Copeland for his solid minutes today. Same with Hima.

Wish we didn’t blow the Miami W.
Great win!

We started unproductive players and played conventional basketball and fell behind by 11. We substituted productive players, went into the press and took over the game - and played with more energy even after we took the press off.

*shrug*

honestly shouldnt even be a point of discussion anymore.
it’d be like saying “LOUIE MCCROSKY IS NOT HAPPY” back in the day.
Except he shows glimpses. I think a sports psychologist might do wonders for him to help him unlike what makes him so inconsistent.

I still think we can beat Virginia at home. We have to play a near perfect game but we showed some life late.

We’re not close to the bubble as of yet but the opportunity is there - UNC, UVA, Duke, at Clemson. Even a couple bubble teams with NC State, at Pitt, Wake Forest.

7-4/8-3 I think puts us squarely on the bubble and would probably need a decent ACC tourney win.

But you can’t count wins with this team, especially if we’re going to consistently dig ourselves holes the first 5-7 minutes of every game.

It’s an injustice that he isn’t starting.

Dion should’ve started, but he had legit players in front of him, Maliq has two pieces of triple ply Charmin in front of him.
This might be unpopular take but screw it...its reality and I’ve been tip toeing around it for weeks

Everyone scared that Bell or Benny will leave?

you better believe better programs are going to be poking around and trying to steal Brown...they will be using him not starting as a sign of disrespect.

this is how it works in college basketball in 2023

Watching Joe have a great game, I feel his 3 years at the point benefit him big time while playing the 2. His passes are very effective and finally his backing his man down has been outstanding last few games.

This might be unpopular take but screw it...its reality and I’ve been tip toeing around it for weeks

you better believe better programs are going to be poking around and trying to steal Brown...they will be using him not starting as a sign of disrespect.

Not a H0t take at all. And if you’re telling me that we can’t match Bell or Bennys production from the portal then shut the program down.

Miami is a good team that closes the game well. They had a good chance to win at Duke today. But eventually lost by 2 points. But the game could go either way.

I think it’s possible or maybe even likely at least one leaves, but I’m fine w/ it. Both have potential and show glimpses, but you have to produce consistently.

FTR, i don’t want any to leave. nor do I think Brown or Bell SHOULD leave. This program is the best spot for both to continue to get better
Agree 100%. I’d love Benny back if he’s cool being a role player off the bench.

Last edited:
I mean he and Bell have to see the difference in results no?
If Williams could see the difference, he would be a different player by now.

I think Bell will get better over time. He’s an example of why JB doesn’t ordinarily give freshmen a lot of minutes. He has a lot to learn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom