Postgame Thoughts… GT | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… GT

5 minutes in and GT was on pace to put up 136 which wasn’t likely to continue unless you are Loyola Marymount in the 90’s or Grinnell College (Div III) but somehow the zone pulled through and ended up only allowing another 46 points over the last 35 minutes.

GT’s lack of an inside game and the inability to get to the free throw line, only 6 attempts, definitely helped once the Cuse offense shifted into high gear.

Staying out of foul trouble and keeping UNC off the free throw line are a few of the obvious defensive keys to keep the next game close.

It should be about just beating them vs keeping it close. There is nothing special about this year's UNC team. Their back court is level or worse than they were last year and Nance is a downgrade from Manek. So if we play well and Jesse stays on the court we should be able to win this at home. The other thing is that as good as Bacot is- he hasn't been 100 pct all year.

If Brown starts, would Williams ever play?

I’m half-joking.

I think so... especially assuming we start far better and aren't in a big hole.

FTR, i don’t want any to leave. nor do I think Brown or Bell SHOULD leave. This program is the best spot for both to continue to get better
In today's environment you can't get too high or low about who will or won't be here next year.
I'm not looking past this Tuesday.

It's hard, I want it to click for Benny so badly. He plays very well in practice by all reports but it just doesn't translate to the games. He has flashes where you're like wow, but then he disappears for long stretchs on both sides of the ball. He's like the Tommy Devito of basketball for us, and much like tommy, unfortunately, he too might need a change of scenery to blossom. I hope not, and I hope it happens for him here more than anything but if he wanted to try things somewhere else I would totally understand. It just stinks because if the light went on for him we could do some serious damage this year

Awful first 5’ of this one….but a great close to build a halftime lead.

Girard was phenomenal all over the court (while not sitting). Especially in the first half when we needed it, and some great passes to Edwards and Brown in the second.

Brown was equally great. So many deflections, smart plays, strong finishes. Love his game a LOT and have for awhile.

What’s nice is having options. Props to Copeland for his solid minutes today. Same with Hima.

Wish we didn’t blow the Miami W.

Joey was more Christmas eve surf and turf than leftover ravioli today.

At's a spicy meat-a-ball-ah!

Grande uomo!

So hear me out. Why not start Benny and Brown? Our zone D and rebounding has historically worked far better with two athletic long athletes in the corner spots. Bell / Taylor/ Copeland or whoever you wanna stick down there aren’t that.

Benny is at least enough of a threat that defenders can’t completely slack off him so I think we’re covered on spacing. And ball handling wise, is there really a drop off from bell to Benny?

I think starting Benny and brown would actually help Benny find his game and role and make the team better overall.

It's hard, I want it to click for Benny so badly. He plays very well in practice by all reports but it just doesn't translate to the games. He has flashes where you're like wow, but then he disappears for long stretchs on both sides of the ball. He's like the Tommy Devito of basketball for us, and much like tommy, unfortunately, he too might need a change of scenery to blossom. I hope not, and I hope it happens for him here more than anything but if he wanted to try things somewhere else I would totally understand. It just stinks because if the light went on for him we could do some serious damage this year
I don’t think it’s a matter of it clicking for him. He knows exactly what JB wants him to do and refuses to do it. He’s not a team player. It wouldn’t surprise me to learn he was happier about the Miami result than today’s, because HE played better in that one.

Again, mods are more than welcome to delete this post if it’s problematic.

Benny and our system is not a mix. It is in everyone's best interest if he moves on. It happens. Will he have success in another program? Who knows but it is clear after almost 2 years he will not have consistent success in this system. Cut losses on both sides and move on.

Benny and our system is not a mix. It is in everyone's best interest if he moves on. It happens. Will he have success in another program? Who knows but it is clear after almost 2 years he will not have consistent success in this system. Cut losses on both sides and move on.
I know it wasn’t Benny’s day today, but he was very solid against Miami with 12 points and 5 rebounds. A Top 25 team on the road.

I still absolutely think there is a role for him on this roster.

Well, I did not get to see the game other than via a gamecast.

A couple of thoughts on the on-going starter/forward debate.

It is obvious that Maliq is part of the solution 90% of the time. I really only remember one bad game from him. However, IMHO, much too much is being made about his starting. As long as he gets in there early and plays 30+ minutes - what is the gripe unless people out there want him to play all 40 minutes.

Then those people would bitch that Jimmy is back to not using the bench.

Some people want to throw Benny and Bell under the bus. Well, maybe you could do that if we actually had another forward other than Maliq that we could count on every game. We dont have that guy. And Benny and Chris are as likely to deliver a plus game from time to time as are Justin and Cope. So, each game becomes a challenge to figure out who will be the hot hand.

So, Jimmy has to juggle between Benny, Bell, Justin, and now Cope. All have shown flashes. All can be very effective when they catch fire. None have been consistent. Though I have been a very long time critic of Jimmy's substitution patterns (or lack thereof) over the years, this year I think he is actually doing a pretty good job given what he has to work with.

My issues with Jimmy's substitutions this year are relatively minor and twofold:

1. I think Cope needs some more run in general
2. I think we need see some more of Justin at the two spot.

Just my two cents...

However, IMHO, much too much is being made about his starting. As long as he gets in there early and plays 30+ minutes - what is the gripe unless people out there want him to play all 40 minutes.

Then those people would bitch that Jimmy is back to not using the bench.
again, hypotheticals instead of honest debate

the gripe is simple. facts. We have not had the lead in now 9 straight games by the time Bell is subbed.

to hope to reverse this, we should start our best forwards.

also, Maliq didn’t play 30 mins last game, a game we lost

BTW, I can’t take credit for the phrase. Someone said it in the game thread. I think it was Westboro.
It’s a Cincinnati Bengal fan knock on their Cleveland rivals.

I know it wasn’t Benny’s day today, but he was very solid against Miami with 12 points and 5 rebounds. A Top 25 team on the road.

I use to think like this but the games are just too far apart to bank on him for anything. It just isn't a good fit period. Coaches aren't getting the best out of him on a regular basis and/or Benny doesn't know how or is unwilling to give the coaches what they are looking for. It has been 2 years just move on.

again, hypotheticals instead of honest debate

the gripe is simple. facts. We have not had the lead in now 9 straight games by the time Bell is subbed.

to hope to reverse this, we should start our best forwards.

also, Maliq didn’t play 30 mins last game, a game we lost
Yes, honest debate, in the Miami game, it was one of the few when Williams was outplaying Maliq, and in that game, the game wasnt lost by bad forward play.

It’s a Cincinnati Bengal fan knock on their Cleveland rivals.
Westboro still gets credit for turning it into a positive.

Yes, honest debate, in the Miami game, it was one of the few when Williams was outplaying Maliq, and in that game, the game wasnt lost by bad forward play.
Check the BPM for the game...or trust your eye test and “making shots”

”outplaying“ is a total opinion. Never said the game was lost by bad forward play. The rebounding was certainly part of it. Which happens to be Browns specialty

The problem with Benny is he does have those games, when he does he still doesn’t stand out and it’s like they’re by accident and not because he did anything better than he normally does.

Last edited:
Joe played with great pace today. He seemed like he could get to wherever he wanted to go. There was a sense of calm when he had the ball. I haven’t always been able to say that.
I think it has to do with softer defensive, some teams are a lot more aggressive which seems to get him off his game

The problem with Benny is he does have those games, when he does he still doesn’t stand out and it’s they’re by accident and not because he did anything better than he normally does.

Not to mention it's outside shooting that pumps up those numbers. If he isn't hitting a few jumps hots and a 3 or 2 his numbers are getting there.

We have one quad 2 win, I don’t think feasting on the bottom feeders is going to cut it. Our ACC wins have a record of 5-35 against the ACC.

I just looked at the standings, the league is crap this year. Yikes

It is…really bad. It certainly will be interesting to see how many teams end up making it. Virginia is likely to be the only Top 16 seed in the Dance when it’s all said and done.

I know there are many folks here who cry about how the ACC likes to screw us, etc. Well, whatever one believes, the ACC did us a great favor this year with the schedule. As you mentioned, 6 of our conference wins are against combined opponents conference records of 5-35 to date.

As bad as the conference is, this 6-3 record has at least afforded our team, especially with so many greenhorns, to build up some likely serious confidence at this point. Regardless of such embarrassing and putrid losses in the out of conference part of the schedule.

It is…really bad. It certainly will be interesting to see how many teams end up making it. Virginia is likely to be the only Top 16 seed in the Dance when it’s all said and done.

I know there’s a many folks here who cry about how the ACC likes to screw us, etc. Well, whatever one believes, the ACC did us a great favor this year with the schedule. As you mentioned, 6 of our conference wins are against combined opponents conference records of 5-35 to date.

As bad as the conference is, this 6-3 record has at least afforded our team, especially with so many greenhorns, to build up some likely serious confidence at this point. Regardless of such embarrassing and putrid losses in the out of conference part of the schedule.

In fairness I doubt anyone saw Louisville, VT and ND having 2 combined wins at this point either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom