Postgame Thoughts… Miami | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miami vs. VCU.
The full-court press was the bigger problem before, now it's the halfcourt. A New experience means more time to adjust.

Jimmy Cole and Girard are all out-of-position quickness-wise against a really tough half-court press, and Frank/Edwards are better at the mid/low post than Jimmy against pressure. Not suggesting, but we could try two lineups and make the subbing easier on the thinking. Tune in next time, could this be the year where we see less than 35mpg for a few guys by midseason?

Bottom line is we’re not going to win much. It’s embarrassing. Syracuse has turned into a joke and yet I still watch every second of every game. At a loss for words.
My family and I are going to the Wake game but I’m just as excited for a pre-game lunch at Burke Street Pizza. That’s not a good sign.

I question our ability to get any impact transfers next year to be honest
Then we should look forward to the following year. Next year isn’t going to be pleasant without a few impact transfers.

73DDA1EC-A55C-418D-A222-25B1423F4872.jpeg

He knows the records. He’s saying they prepare for the next game the same way regardless of the record. Jesus

Pretty clear what he said. It’s not a matter of opinion or interpretation. I’m just pointing out how asinine it is

Don't forget "The Shaker" Lloyd Moseby who actually played some AAA in Syracuse.
Moseby was really good . Even better when you look at his stats through a modern day lens

I really hate that statement. I understand your sentiment, but I just can’t get there.

Auerback, Knoll, Wooden, Landry, Martin, Smith, Bryant, Jackson, Riley, Walsh, Gibbs, Parcells, Madden, Rockne, Calhoun, Johnson….

JB is connected to Syracuse basketball, and his dedication and contributions—not matter how you felt about his talents and personality—can’t be dismissed. But, when he leaves, it will only be the start of the next chapter. There’s an argument that leans on the sheer number of years, but then the counter is ‘just one championship.’

How many Syracuse fans will abandon the program because JAB is no longer at the helm? We will pay our tributes, and move on.

I feel like the "Boeheim IS Syracuse basketball" sentiment is stronger amongst townies than alumni, and I say that as someone who is both. And yes, there will be some that lose interest when he goes, especially if someone from outside the program is brought in. How many that is remains to be seen and will also be affected by what happens between now and then.

Joe was the point guard last year. We made it to the sweet 16...what's different from last year? Our Center position is improved, the back court is the same.

It's not rocket science.
We have an athletic forward we could play and should have played more yesterday. That’s on the coach’s in game coaching.

I get so frustrated at their inability to break the press and wonder if they even practice it . Then it occurred to me they CANT practice it because they have neither the bodies nor the athletes to even begin to simulate a 25%ile level major college team press in practice ..

Quick synopses:

Qadir Copeland - 6-6, 175 PG. 4 Star. (PA) Not a great shooter, but can get to the rim pretty easily, can throw the alley oop and the flashy pass. Not super quick, but uses his body well in the lane. He should start from Day One, as Bees likes to say.

Justin Taylor - 6-6, 210 SG. 4 Star. (VA) In the Buddy Boeheim mold, maybe a bit more athletic, but not a ton. Very good stroke, even though his stats haven't been jumping off the page yet at IMG, where he plays with Copeland. His mom is a superfan already. Taylor helped us get our PF, Maliq Brown. These guys all played AAU ball together.

Chris Bunch - 6-6, 185 SF. 4 Star. (CA). This guy is quick off the floor, and he can make a bunch of threes at a time. But his release point is a little low, and kind of slow. He's been able to shoot over HS competition, but I don't see him as an early contributor. He's slender, a finesse player, not a great handle. He'll be a late bloomer like Damone Brown.

Maliq Brown - Either 6-8 or 6-9, I've seen his weight anywhere from 195 to 210. I think his size is getting exaggerated a bit. I would call him 6-8, 200. He's a hard worker with a good motor. I think he had an injury as a JR, which saw him fall out of the Top 100. As a HS sophomore, he played like a young Paul Harris. They call him a 3 Star, but he's a high 3 Star, just outside the Top 100. I see this kid as a Tyler Roberson type of player. From the same VA high school as Taylor.

Peter Carey - 7-0, 195 (MD). He's a 3 star with an offer list of small East Coast schools like Iona, Brown and Bryant. The thing that jumps off his film is that he has a very good handle for a big guy, and he's surprisingly agile. He can dribble, he's fluid, he can run. He dunks pretty much everything, but not in the mechanical way that Jon Bol Ajak did in his empty-gym videos. With strength and conditioning, this kid could be a pretty good player in a couple years. Not a stiff.
The last sentence in the Carey write up makes me nervous as our S&C program never seems to pack guys up.

I get so frustrated at their inability to break the press and wonder if they even practice it . Then it occurred to me they CANT practice it because they have neither the bodies nor the athletes to even begin to simulate a 25%ile level major college team press in practice ..
I have been harping on this for the last few years. Our depth is so bad that we look “good” against ourselves…until the season starts and we play against real players. This is the real disadvantage to only having 8 competent guys

The problem with Cole Is he literally disappears for 30plus minutes a game. I think he got
9 of 14 points in the last 90 seconds or so (or after Buddy left)
Is it disappearing, or is he just ignored when Buddy is on the floor? That’s a genuine question. Feels like he doesn’t do enough to get himself open, but there’s also a large amount of time where it’s the PG doesn’t get him the ball when hes open and ready to shoot.

Mods are fine. Don't blame them if you go off the rails. Just relax and critique in a fair manner, doubt you will have a problem.

The one time I was put in time out, I deserved it. Of all the sports message boards I've perused over the years, this is the absolute best because our moderators are genuinely great.

Don't mean to be ignorant( for once)...
Where was Anselem tonight?
I see Jesse fouls out with a few minutes left...
Frank is not in the boxscore.

Don't mean to be ignorant( for once)...
Where was Anselem tonight?
I see Jesse fouls out with a few minutes left...
Frank is not in the boxscore.
James was the backup C last night.

I feel like the "Boeheim IS Syracuse basketball" sentiment is stronger amongst townies than alumni, and I say that as someone who is both. And yes, there will be some that lose interest when he goes, especially if someone from outside the program is brought in. How many that is remains to be seen and will also be affected by what happens between now and then.
The Syracuse townies and “JB is Syracuse basketball” crowd remind me of the townsfolk in the movie Hoosiers.

The Syracuse townies and “JB is Syracuse basketball” crowd remind me of the townsfolk in the movie Hoosiers.

I don't think what he is saying is actually true. I am both myself and I know an awful lot of townies who think JB should retire. The people in his corner are the fewest yet after the first 14 games of this season.

Joe was the point guard last year. We made it to the sweet 16...what's different from last year? Our Center position is improved, the back court is the same.

It's not rocket science.
Last year, the ball went through Marek, a better passer and screener than anyone who regularly plays this year. And more athletic. The team also had a backup pg who could bring the ball up all by himself, get in the lane, and pass

I don't think what he is saying is actually true. I am both myself and I know an awful lot of townies who think JB should retire. The people in his corner are the fewest yet after the first 14 games of this season.

I'm not saying that the "JB IS SU hoops" is the majority of townies or there are no townies that are ready for him to go.

All I'm saying is that those people exist, and they tend to skew townie. That is understandable. JB is the most famous guy in town and has been for the last ~35 years. That's a lot of exposure compared to someone that lives here for 4 years while getting a degree.

It becomes relevant when you consider who is typically buying tickets for home games.

EDIT: Also, remember the poster who actually called himself Townie and behaved like JB saved him from a fire when he was 5 years old.

I'm not saying that the "JB IS SU hoops" is the majority of townies or there are no townies that are ready for him to go.

All I'm saying is that those people exist, and they tend to skew townie. That is understandable. JB is the most famous guy in town and has been for the last ~35 years. That's a lot of exposure compared to someone that lives here for 4 years while getting a degree.

It becomes relevant when you consider who is typically buying tickets for home games.
I can tell you that in my section fans are very frustrated with what is happening this year and they are all townies. They still go, but they are not happy.

Kadary, Joe, Buddy, Quincy and Jesse would have been a really good starting 5. In another universe that team is ranked #11. They're undefeated after a couple stumbles in the Bahamas while players got used to their roles and starting.

We crushed Miami last night in the alternate universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom