Postgame Thoughts… St. John’s | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… St. John’s

Joe played like a big baby tonight. He was not engaged the entire night. We need a two guard that can do something besides shoot. Symir is not the answer either. Copeland and Taylor need some time at guard. Bell shows hope and Jesse needs to stop making stupid fouls to start games.
Taylor is awful, if he doesn’t see the court this year it wouldn’t be a bad thing.

We still don’t have a point guard to run the team. We have a good player who can drive and create for himself.
To be fair he drove and kicked to the corners for open shots enough times, but none of those jumpers went in.

Some players made a jump. We are 5 games in. defense was better. Very active. Joe was out there cause they were in his stuff all game and that opens the floor more than Sy does. St. John’s has a good chance to win Big East. Good team. This was not Georgetown games as someone said. We are better!
Wth are you watching?

Some players made a jump. We are 5 games in. defense was better. Very active. Joe was out there cause they were in his stuff all game and that opens the floor more than Sy does. St. John’s has a good chance to win Big East. Good team. This was not Georgetown games as someone said. We are better!
Creighton should absolutely destroy that team. They absolutely won't win the BE.

As long as the coaching remains the same, we’re not doing much.
We have a guy on the bench who acts like he’s still coaching in the 90’s with 5 studs on the court at all times. How do you constantly, consistently, and what’s most infuriating…predictably, play 6-7 guys the majority of minutes and not think they’ll get gassed? We used to have talent that would outlast mediocre teams like SJU, but we don’t any more.
We hear it all off-season: “He’ll play man, and 9 guys, and blah blah blah”. Yet here we are 5 games in, and it’s rinse and repeat…deja vu, all over again. Pathetic.

Our forwards were probably tired in the second half. Again.

No sense in putting in one of the three freshmen sitting on the bench.

This is apparently a two year plan. But QC/Taylor/Brown are going to be glued to the bench for 35 minutes every game and we will all be shocked if they two or all of them transfer.

I have to laugh so I don’t cry

rewatched the last shot in reg again.

Joe’s lack of urgency trying to get open while Jesse and Sy have the ball is startling.
Literally the job of a guard to go get the ball.

Also, as someone mentioned, what was Symir doing on the floor? It makes sense if you want another ball handler but if that's the case why was he not the outlet for Joe's inbounds? Doesn't make any sense. Otherwise you have a guy who doesn't have the ball, and isn't a guy who can shoot. Ironically he did end up with the ball, and had to shoot.

rarely i use the gameflow chart by with 5 fouls to go 12 minutes left the picture shows it all. we took the air out of the ball and it bit us. But we did much better on the boards, as we trap underneath on ones we lose.

I hated that stretch in the 2nd half where it felt like Hima & Co. were blocking every first, and sometimes 2nd shot, only to have St. John’s get 3rd & 4th chances… we were playing good D! I just can’t stand/don’t comprehend why we’re so bad at loose balls.

Also, Symir makes me wildly uncomfortable when he dribbles. Not because I’m afraid he’ll turn it over, but he’s so herky-jerky that every, single, dribble just feels… uncomfortable, it’s grating on the senses. There’s 0% fluidity in his game, almost to the point I can’t even think of a player comparison. It’s so odd to me.

I don’t ever complain about the commentators, they rarely bother me no matter who they are… somehow Crispin, or whatever his name is, made me think this dude might be the worst color guy on TV. Wild.

Genuinely asking this because I can’t recall a time off the top of my head: has Joe ever hit a huge shot at the end (last minute or two) of a game? I know he hit some big shots in the 2021 tourney but nothing like we needed tonight.

Trying to settle a debate while my cousin and I are stuck in the Holland Tunnel

Genuinely asking this because I can’t recall a time off the top of my head: has Joe ever hit a huge shot at the end (last minute or two) of a game? I know he hit some big shots in the 2021 tourney but nothing like we needed tonight.

Yes, believe freshman year when he became the starter once ALL OTHER GUARDS AHEAD OF HIM couldn't play or were injured.

I recall a couple his freshman year.

I do know it feels like every time Joe gets on a fast break, it’s seemingly always beneficial for the OTHER team.

This is a game you have to win if you want an NCAA bid. Close but no cigar and very likely no Selection Sunday again. We played very good for 30 minutes. Last 10 minutes of regulation and the OT was a horror show. Had a golden opportunity to win the game on the last possession with 11 seconds left. That possession was a clinic in what not to do. Why was Torrence in for that possession and Bell out? And of course after dribbling out 10 seconds who ends up with the last shot? The guy who can't shoot a lick. The OT was a just a combination of awful Girard who can't do a thing if you put a defender in his face instead of giving him 6 feet of space to get his shot off and a young inexperienced PG who got caught up in an ego matchup with a physical guard riding him and self destructed. Joe missing the front end of a 1-1 was a killer. Confirming again he does not hit free throws well under late pressure situations. Tough loss.

Last edited:
Damn, we actually had not played them since 2016-2017. We've lost the last 4. Good thing we didn't play them last year, otherwise probably would be 5.

Our forwards were probably tired in the second half. Again.

No sense in putting in one of the three freshmen sitting on the bench.

This is apparently a two year plan. But QC/Taylor/Brown are going to be glued to the bench for 35 minutes every game and we will all be shocked if they two or all of them transfer.

I have to laugh so I don’t cry
This game revealed JB will again go with just 7 and that's Symir and Hima off the bench and that's it.

When St. Johns went to pressure we should have gone to Copeland over Joe. Sy Cope and Mintz can all get to the rack and beat pressure. The play on pressure is to go right at it. Joe doesnt have that ability and couldnt hit the broad side of a barn tonight. Bell would have benefited as he would have had the looks vs Joe. Cope Benny mintz edwards Bell win that game.

Damn, we actually had not played them since 2016-2017. We've lost the last 4. Good thing we didn't play them last year, otherwise probably would be 5.
Notice how all the old Big East teams are kicking our behind the last 5 years. All of them.

We still don’t have a point guard to run the team. We have a good player who can drive and create for himself.
He's a scorer. I thought the color guy tonight made a great point on that because Judah looks at things with a "how to score" mentality which drives him to open space whereas sometimes driving toward an opponent makes them pick who to cover. He can do it and has shown that. But its not going to be his first thought. Thinking about it a little more will be his ticket to the next level because he's quite good at it.

2023/24

Copeland
Judah
Bell
Benny
Hima

Symir
Taylor
Brown

Need Bell to be a lights out shooter, and Judah and Taylor to become good from out there. Will be our biggest and most athletic team in years.

Can’t wait.
You’re kidding, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom