Postgame Thoughts… St. John’s | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… St. John’s

This just sucks. We just looked so much better the majority of the game. And far more talented. We got out hustled and ran out of gas. I think we beat that team 85/100 times.

Joe was terrible. We failed to get Jesse the ball at the end- should have been the go to play for all of OT. Mintz was great overall but clearly tired by the end. Bell disappeared. Benny disappeared. Just wish we fed Jesse more, and could have got Mintz the ball to drive at end of regulation. Needed to win it there

Just feels so deflating to lose that game to that team. Nothing about St Johns impressed me aside from hustle. A really tough loss.

Oh, we are better than St Johns and no one can argue with me. Ughhhh I can’t believe we lost that.

Cancer to the team while being the only reason they beat a team they’re better than? Not sure I follow
Sorry. I was just too upset. But he is too short and not athletic. Really it hurts our zone oriented team in the past three years. That JB moves him to the shooting guard might help the team a bit this year.

We need Jesse to stay on the court and to play through him more. I don’t buy that he can only do damage off rolls to the rim. He’s shown a nice jump hook.

He had 18 points in like half a game. Offensive struggle means dump it in. I’ll take my chances with a Jesse jump hook when we’re dead in the water.

Need some more positive talk on Benny.

he was FANTASTIC. On the boards, on D, making shots, made passes down to Jesse.

Keep it up, Benny.
They run nothing to get Benny open on the box. No screens, no nothing. It takes practically the entire game before this team realizes Jesse can score inside. I don’t blame the players.

The staff should spend every minute fo practice this week in late game situations. Who will inbound, what play, clock situations (like never pass to a big man under 5 seconds). As someone else said too much was on Judah's shoulders tonight and it caught up to him. I still prefer the ball in his hands at the end of game. Joe is good for a kickout for an open 3, other than that he should pass the ball. I am encouraged by the fight in the team and that JAB has given both Benny and Bell a little extra rope to play through a few mistakes. Can't have too many L's that you had multiple opportunities to win.

“Coach, when SJU adjusted to their matchup zone packing the lane so Judah couldn’t drive as effectively as the first half, what was the game plan offensively to get better looks at the rim?”

JB- “Bell had as many rebounds as a dead guy.”

The St John’s fans in front of me starting yelling for us to give the ball to Joe every possession after he threw the ball at the basket backwards on the fast break. It was very funny.

I’m pissed about losing like this we had this team beat. Joe seriously looked like he was point shaving you can’t be that bad. As Azorange said earlier St. John’s is a bad team….Judah may be the best player in the court but we need others to step up big time. Boeheim needs to play more people and why the hell wasn’t brown in to help with rebounding? This was maddening at the end

-we got tired. Would have been nice to get some minutes for either brown or Taylor to give bell a blow and help with the boards.
-Judah was great. When he can keep them honest with a three and learn to distribute like that late dish to Jesse he will be great. He ran out of gas and sju did a good job adjusting on him.
-Obviously JG3 killed us. Choked at the line. Refused to dish on the fast break. Awful d. Selfish shots off the dribble.
-Jesse still can’t avoid foul trouble. Maddening. If he plays 35 minutes we win. Hima played his arse off but he can’t give us scoring like Jesse.
-Bell showed stones. Thrilled to see him shooting with confidence. But how do you play 34 minutes in the zone and not get a single board? And why doesn’t JB see that and go to Brown?
-Symir has to stop dribbling so much and move the ball. I wish he would go in on defensive possessions for Joe late in the game.
-Benny played his arse off. Who would have ever thought he would be playing 45 minutes? I wish he would drive and dunk but he took JB’s rebound challenge and went for the double double. And he shot and played with confidence.
-We battled. I think this team is headed in the right direction. But this one stings.

Girard cut hard ONCE to a pass all game? His man was basically taking him out of the game and whoever was nearest joe as well because Joe was moving so little it allowed one to defend two. This was the worst performance for an SU starter I can ever remember. I mean ever.
The four footer that went two feet or the left handed laptop...

Some players made a jump. We are 5 games in. defense was better. Very active. Joe was out there cause they were in his stuff all game and that opens the floor more than Sy does. St. John’s has a good chance to win Big East. Good team. This was not Georgetown games as someone said. We are better!

The bottom line is that the inbound in the final 9 seconds is terrible. We could have won the game if we had done it right. JG3 inbound the ball to the wrong player. Wasting the precious nine seconds.

In fairness, he’s the only other outside shooter we have aside for JG. So I get the desire to have him on the floor. But SU can’t endure a 3 who literally doesn’t rebound.

He had 1 rebound in the last 68 minutes of play. Statistically, wouldn't someone accidentally get more than that?

Has there been a four year starter at Syracuse with less wins and less tourney than Joey?
Jim Boeheim, Just kidding. Jim could only play 3 years

However, this bashing of a player who got us into the championship game is a bit rough. Frankly we had a chance to win in regulation. This discussion is the one I want to have rather than the discussion we have after Colagate Loss.

Go CUSE

2023/24

Copeland
Judah
Bell
Benny
Hima

Symir
Taylor
Brown

Need Bell to be a lights out shooter, and Judah and Taylor to become good from out there. Will be our biggest and most athletic team in years.

Can’t wait.
You know half these guys won’t be here next year, right? Nature of todays game.

They run nothing to get Benny open on the box. No screens, no nothing. It takes practically the entire game before this team realizes Jesse can score inside. I don’t blame the players.
Entry passes to Benny with his back to the basket should be a large part of the offense.

we all see Bell is basically Jimmy Jr, right?
I see almost no similarities whatsoever between Jimmy and Bell. What makes you think they’re basically the same player?

That one was my favorite.
The reverse attempt on the break was bad. You have to go in stronger. Odds are you miss it anyway, but give yourself a chance to have a positive outcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom