Postgame Thoughts… Villanova | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… Villanova

Just a bad 2nd half. Don't think it was Nova being good we just layed a dud after the great first half.

If we played like we did in the first we win.

We didn't get absolutely ran out of the gym or anything we can get the win back at Georgetown Saturday UVA lost tonight to JMU no reason to jump off the deep end here.

Don't think Benny is going to see the light this year. Hope he sticks it out but JB needs to portal an athletic 4 spot that can score and rebound.

Villanova got 22 more shot off than us. Impressive stuff. Buddy and Cole combining for 11 isn’t getting it done. Joe with three just awful turnovers.

I’ll concede the rebounding to a point if those other numbers were better..
I agree...blaming the rebounding defecit on Jesse is off target. We got beat because our "great shooters" were not so great tonight. Give Jesse some help!

I have to believe that these tough games we have been playing are going to pay dividends against the ACC teams we will be facing (except Duke x 2). We have four winnable games left in December before we play UVA. We cannot slip up one bit in these next 4. Buddy is going to get it going again. Jimmy needs to stay consistent. And Joe cannot have those dumb TO’s. We need to figure out how to rebound. Cole has done his part there. Three more OOC games left in probably the hardest OOC schedule we have had in a long time. Let’s go!!

Some box score musings…

Cole finished with 12 boards. That’s a solid number. For some reason it seems… wrong? I don’t know. We need him to contribute both ends, and really need some offense. Mysterious player.

Jesse 1-6 shooting, but shot 15 FTs. Need to make a few more than 8 though.

I thought nova would make 14 treys. They made 13. I did not expect them to attempt 50(!). We only shot 15. That’s pretty insane.

First is obvious, we aren’t gonna beat a really good team if Buddy plays like that

secondly...Bennie has no confidence right now...none...it’s time to get mins before ACC cause Swider/Jimmy simply isn’t going to work against better teams.

He's not going to get minutes, JB's already made it clear he thinks he's no where near ready and he's definitly not sitting Jimmy for 15-20 mins a game for Benny.

Our idiot fans will crush Buddy, but he’s going to get hot here eventually.

Ehhhhh, at what point do we default to his career numbers for shooting? We totally maximized spacing all we can at this point for him!!!

Like, he's had a couple nice stretches here or there, but this idea that he's beyond elite or something seems to be sailing away. I don't think he needs to be crushed, but maybe he's just a nice somewhat streaky shooter. He will get hot again eventually though.

Some box score musings…

Cole finished with 12 boards. That’s a solid number. But man… we need some offense. Mysterious player.

Jesse 1-6 shooting, but shot 15 FTs. Need to make a few more than 8 though.

I thought nova would make 14 treys. They made 13. I did not expect them to attempt 50(!). We only shot 15. That’s pretty insane.

Cole having 12 is nice but he probably should have had 18+. He remind of Forth out there at times in that he just doesn't seem to jump at all. Offensively were 9 games in an he's been a mess offensively in most of them, hard not to think this is who he is versus he's just struggling.

When Buddy and Cole are both off they don't get assists. Buddy had 8 and 5 the last two games, only one tonight. I miss Mareks speed of play. Jimmy and Edwards were really good.

Defense was really good for the second game in a row, though! Excellent.

2 pretty bad offensive halfs 2 good defensive halfs if it wasnt for the rebounding = 2 for 4, and we were still only down 6 late.

Last edited:
There is a ceiling we won’t be able to bust through when it comes to rebounding (at least consistently), but we’ve got to dig deep win and find ways to get some more of these tough boards especially when we get a first hand on it.
Our hands are flat out awful, as is our strength. Seemed like we touched half the offensive boards we lost.

Ehhhhh, at what point do we default to his career numbers for shooting? We totally maximized spacing all we can at this point for him!!!

Like, he's had a couple nice stretches here or there, but this idea that he's beyond elite or something seems to be sailing away. I don't think he needs to be crushed, but maybe he's just a nice somewhat streaky shooter. He will get hot again eventually though.
Default them now if you want. I don’t give a sht! try harder.

Benny at this point appears to be more of a project recruit than a big time recruit - could dominate as an athlete in HS - on offense at the college level he is a complete project - and tough to play great in a zone as a freshman...

All the flaws of this team came home to roost in the second half.

Villanova isn't 6 in the nation for nothing.

They hit a few shots and got us at arms length and it was heel on throat and they saw the game out on coast. After owning the glass for the 2nd half, they found their footing.

Did Benny miss a wide open layup at the end?
Jeeez

not just miss it, hes lucky the ball didnt get stuck between the side of the rim and backboard. he reminds of that dude who would spaz out every time he got the ball and literally would airball layups. sean williams???

Hard to compete where the opponents have two options

-score
-Get rebound and score

Swear in the second half we may have gotten 1 defensive board where it didn’t bounce off three nova guys and roll to us by dumb luck

Buddy needs a slump buster. Could tell he was in his own head when he hesitated on a couple threes in the second half. Shooters shoooooooot

We are 1 or 2 players off. We need an Athletic wing and a 1 that can take it to the rack. Benny is too green and Jimmy and Cole are good players but not great athletes. If Benny was living up to his 5 stars we would be in much better shape. Joe is really a 2 Symir cant shoot so we are limited at the 1. We are a good shooting smart long team that lacks the athleticism to hang with top teams. We shoot we win. Its really that simple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom