Postgame Thoughts… Villanova | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… Villanova

s
We are 1 or 2 players off. We need an Athletic wing and a 1 that can take it to the rack. Benny is too green and Jimmy and Cole are good players but not great athletes. If Benny was living up to his 5 stars we would be in much better shape. Joe is really a 2 Symir cant shoot so we are limited at the 1. We are a good shooting smart long team that lacks the athleticism to hang with top teams. We shoot we win. Its really that simple.
Shooting doesn’t come in a vacuum . You need easier shots to consistency make them . We have to work extremely hard to get a good shot. Relying on 35 footers is fools gold and the well always dries up .

I like all the tear apart Bennys game. Like you can tell what kind of player he is or isn’t in the 2 minutes he gets to play every game

That 1 rebound he got in 3 minutes was 1 less than jimmy did in 38 minutes and 1 more than Buddy got in 38 minutes.

Year after year we have the same back and forth about our bench players. They come in with decent recruiting rankings and get no consistent run. Half the board wants them to play more half the board says they are terrible. At this point it looks like benny will get no minutes and our best recruit since Carmelo as he was labeled by some will be in the portal.

not just miss it, hes lucky the ball didnt get stuck between the side of the rim and backboard. he reminds of that dude who would spaz out every time he got the ball and literally would airball layups. sean williams???
I was on my way to catch a late train. Glad I missed that missed layup. I might have cried.

As everyone has pointed out, missed shots by Buddy and Cole and getting killed on the boards the second half were the story of the game. Jesse basically had his hands on almost every rebound and had it taken from him, or he fell to the ground with the opposing player(s.) Cole couldn’t jump and we had seemingly no plan on offense. The “new” defense was much better than I expected, so hopefully we can turn things around by Saturday. I can’t imagine another game where Buddy scores so little.

I was convinced we lose by 20 in a game we never were in after tough stretch so far this past week and year to date. Nova just dominated the last 6 minutes.
I, also, thought we would lose, but not by as much as you suggested. I also agree with your last conclusion that Nova dominated at the end. But, the question is why?

This was a high energy game that you might expect in the NCAA Tournament. They just got tired at the end from the same guys playing most of the minutes. That, and Buddy was really off tonight, and I agree with Jimmy Satalin's opinion that it was "mental."

I, also, thought we would lose, but not by as much as you suggested. I also agree with your last conclusion that Nova dominated at the end. But, the question is why?

This was a high energy game that you might expect in the NCAA Tournament. They just got tired at the end from the same guys playing most of the minutes. That, and Buddy was really off tonight, and I agree with Jimmy Satalin's opinion that it was "mental."

Buddy's missed 3 at the 16 minute mark, the missed two at the 13 minute mark, missed 3 at the 11 minute mark, Jesse's missed FTs at the 10 minute mark and then the two JG3 turnovers really were the difference. All points/possessions we have to get as they are part of how this offense works. The rebounds come with the territory but all that said those 10+ points that should have been but weren't are the real difference.

It seemed like Nova's strategy was just shoot 3s and keep getting rebounds until they scored. It worked. FSU tried the same thing Saturday and it didn't.

I
Rebounding is part of defense. Can’t say they played exvellent defense if they can’t rebound.
guess you can say that we had a good defensive points allowed per shot ratio.. but they overcame that by the sheer number of shots they put up

Weird stat game too

We shot a better percentage than they did from 2 and 3

We made more FT than they took
We only had 1 more turnover.

If you told me all those things were going to happen…. I wouldn’t guess we would lose by 14

guess you can say that we had a good defensive points allowed per shot ratio.. but they overcame that by the sheer number of shots they put up
This exercise is getting absurd.

Whether it was just something in the water at the Garden that bottled up all four teams shooting it I don't know but the defense also held Nova to it's lowest output of the season overall and tied for lowest output in regular time. That all despite the rebounding woes.

B2B games holding teams under 70 after the crazy run of giving up huge numbers.

s

Shooting doesn’t come in a vacuum . You need easier shots to consistency make them . We have to work extremely hard to get a good shot. Relying on 35 footers is fools gold and the well always dries up .

Yep, everyone thinks Buddy is going to shoot like he did in the tournament last year - unfortunately, only Steph Curry is going to do that with any consistency - Nova is not a top 10 team - we are very average with a myriad of flaws - starting with no PG and no elite athletes

Yep, everyone thinks Buddy is going to shoot like he did in the tournament last year - unfortunately, only Steph Curry is going to do that with any consistency - Nova is not a top 10 team - we are very average with a myriad of flaws - starting with no PG and no elite athletes

Sure... They should have beaten #4 UCLA and #1 Purdue. Purdue and UCLA both came back late to steal it after trailing in the second half. They also wrecked #13 Tennessee ( who will drop some) .

These kind of takes are just as annoying and poorly thought out as those overrating a team we beat.

Nova is also 6 on Ken Pom and 5 in the NET. Claiming they aren't top 10 is just a fun cynical narrative is the only way to explain it...

I’m not even mad. I had low expectations, went to bed at halftime. Told wife we were going to lose by 10.

tough stretch of games, but when SU loses to peer teams, they get blown out and when they win, they generally eek out a one-possession win when the offense is clicking. They've now given up the exact same number of points that they've scored (700), which, naturally, gives them a .500 expected winning percentage.

The defense can play well for stretches, but not for long.

With a team with this poor athleticism I don’t understand why our forwards have to come up so high. It takes everyone terribly out of position. I don’t understand what JB is seeing/doing here
He is covering for the top of the zone not being long.
I mean you know this.

Buddy has been a very good shooter for us at times but the rest of his game is not very good
He’s so adamant about showing off the rest of his game that it’s now effecting what his strength is. He’s burning himself out

Last edited:
tough stretch of games, but when SU loses to peer teams, they get blown out and when they win, they generally eek out a one-possession win when the offense is clicking. They've now given up the exact same number of points that they've scored (700), which, naturally, gives them a .500 expected winning percentage.

The defense can play well for stretches, but not for long.
The first half of games and the second haves have been so vastly different all year.. we turned the tables on FSU but almost every other game we’ve been boat raced in Half 2

SU more fatigued than Nova?
4 guys played 36+ minutes for Nova.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom