Postgame Thoughts… Virginia | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… Virginia

JB has to realize that a press doesn’t need to steal the ball to have an effect. It forced Virginia to alter the way they played. I think it also keeps our guys moving. It’s a way to play ten guys too. It just might speed up the game for us.
If UVA wanted to score over killing clock, it wouldn’t have mattered

You think our HOF coach would learn and try to press them the first 35 minutes then, but no lets sit back in a zone and let them shoot catch and shoot jumpers for 30 minutes.
It’s like he’s already decided we’re going to lose to every good team, these days. “They’re really good, blah blah blah.”

We lost by 7, yippee! What a moral victory.

So tired of this.

A loss is a loss. Nice comeback but it does not make up for pathetic play for a large portion of the game. Jesse had possibly his worst game of the season. Girard 6-17.Liked the play of Brown most of all. The guy plays hard every play. Team just has to play smarter.
You liked browns play? He rebounded but he was bodied up several times down low and missed quite a few layups. He wasn’t awful but I don’t think this was his best game

You think our HOF coach would learn and try to press them the first 35 minutes then, but no lets sit back in a zone and let them shoot catch and shoot jumpers for 30 minutes.
The press worked because they were up big and not really being aggressive and trying to score UVA likes to kill clock on offense its why we came back in 2016 beacuse they were more worried about milking 30 seconds off the clock than getting 2 points.

That said you might as well do it if you are overmatched and probably going to lose. I don't think our best players are THAT much better than our worst either the forwards are close Hima isn't a huge downgrade from Jesse Copeland and Symir can keep Mintz and Joe fresh.

Coach struggled to make adjustments. When he does, it’s always too late. He needs to be better. A lot better.
I didn't think adjustments had anything to do with it. They started slow out of the gate again. You can only come back so many times.

JB will say the zone kept Virginia without a field goal for eight minutes. “The zone wasn’t the problem.”

-The zone completely put us at a competitive disadvantage. Virginia is a horrific team to play zone against because they can shoot and pass. Despite the fact that our mediocre press caused them some problems JB refused to go man-to-man or make any adjustments.
-Jesse was absolutely awful. He acted like the double-team was a complete surprise and he was soft going to the basket. The fact that he did not go to the line once is evidence of how intimidated he was. It is not the refs’ fault. But to make things worse JB did not make any adjustments so the problems when Jesse got double teamed continued in the second half.
-starting JBA was absolutely insane. There are literally four or five guys who are better.
-I don’t know what illness Benny was suffering from but he apparently was well enough to sit on the bench. Similar to the Bryant game. Not exactly Willis Reed material.
-Hima is much better than any of us could have reasonably expected. He will be a very serviceable rebounder and defender for us for multiple years. His athleticism and motor was excellent today.
-Brown missed some bunnies but likewise I think he will be a big help for us for multiple seasons. He played with a lot of heart and battled constantly. He will be somewhat limited by his athleticism but I will take guys like him on this roster anytime.
-Taylor made some very difficult shots and also battled on defense. I think if we actually made an effort to get the ball to him he would be more effective. I also think he takes difficult shots as a result. It was a little annoying when his shot selection got iffy late in the game.
-everyone in this board seems to kill Bell and his defense and rebounding are awful. But the kid can score and again we really make no effort to run plays for him.
-I honestly believe that coaching in this rivalry is worth 5 to 10 points per game. I’d love to see what we could do if we didn’t play zone and actually ran a competent offense.

It’s like he’s already decided we’re going to lose to every good team, these days.
I hate to say this, but that's my expectation.

We might sneak a couple because young teams can get weird and play way over their heads, but I've accepted that even a slight edge a team has over us is likely enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom