Postgame Thoughts... Houston (NCAAT) | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts... Houston (NCAAT)

Bummer but when Rutgers blew it down the stretch it meant we were going to get unlucky with a team that was a bad matchup for us. Throw in a bad night for the team and also JB and it got away from us. All the credit to Houston and thanks to the team for the last few weeks of fun basketball!

I have no idea who will be on the team next year other than Buddy but I'll be rooting on whoever takes the court.

It was fun listening to the past players on occasion in the twitch feed. Near the end they lamented that we do not get the McDonald's AAs anymore - without at least one of those types of talent you can't win a National Championship. They are hopeful that Benny can be that type of player.

Really miss the 80s - the glory days of college basketball. Today DC after getting 19 rebounds in the Final would have been gone. Instead he stayed 4 years...

Let's Go Orange!

we would have beat rutgers and oregon st. i have little doubt. houston was gonna be a dogfight even if we played well. this very easily could have been a f4 team if rutgers doesnt blow that game.

this is tough. we missed a golden opportunity. a friggin 12 seed waiting for us in the elite 8.
With a 2 seed standing in the way.

• Houston...with that style of refereeing...is perhaps the worst matchup in the country for SU (as constituted by JB) Overall Houston doesn't need help from the refs to be great defensively (I'm not really blaming the refs)...but the way the game was called was in their favor. VERY PHYSICAL handsy...mugged a lot of shots that they got away with...but SU got called for a lot of slight fouls...and just cheap stuff all game long. That SU got called for more fouls is INSANE. But Houston is good defensively...best defensive team SU has faced this year. BY A LOT. SU did not use Houston's aggresiveness against them...they cracked under pressure and panicked out there. Thye shouldve fouled out 3 or 4 of their players...and if they hd they might have won.
  • Joe and Buddy ARE YMCA players against that level of D. Its just the truth. Only a handful of teams in NCAA can do that to these 2 but thats what matters in games like this...have to see it for what it is and adjust instead of being stubborn.
  • For all the talk of QG leaving...I don't think he is ready ...for G-League. Indifferent as to whether he comes back or not in terms of prospects for the team next season. I think he is smart and has a great attitude out there...but he doesnt play smartly. He really cracked out there, imo. The team should have been feeding him the ball...but they didn't. And when he got it...he didn't go up strong.
  • Same thing with Marek. Nice player but not championship caliber and a starter needs to be that, imo. If youre gonna slow gaurds who cant penetrate need uber athletic SCORING dominant forwards...He just doesn't have it vs elite teams like that...he was the tallest player on the court...I thought he got slammed into for 3 of his fouls ...which is BS but thats how they call it. Indifferent as to his return...nice player...but want more from a starting center/forward. Would be a nice bench player next season.
  • the press junket this week was probably the worst thing that couldve happened to JB/Buddy...they relaxed and undid their belt buckles...Buddy Shouldve refused all those interviews.
  • I think Kadary is gone...hate to say it...but just have a feeling. really mailed it in the last 5 mins...I LOVE his game...he is amazing. Shouldve played 35 min+ this game. I think he can flourish here...IF he is the starter...but I dont see that happening and I can see why he would look elswhere.
  • I think Griff bounces too...man whatever JB did to him psychologically...it broke him. This game was perfect for him to star and he laid a huge egg...maybe JB has broken him permanently. Never seen anything like it...he is a shell of the player he was in the first couple games of the season when he looked like the best player on the team...all that said...His drives shouldve been used more though this game...he drew 4 quick fouls and that was it.
  • The idea shouldve been to get Houston fouled out...but that wasnt easy and was only sporadically the focus. AG couldve helped a lot there.
  • JB really just did not see the forest for the trees this game. Makes me think he isn't going to figure the roster out well this offseason. Such a brutal matchup...
  • JBs approach needs a revamp if he wants to win another title...if he wants to be on the bubble next season then keep doing this...
  • But in this game specifically...LOWEST ALL TIME POINT TOTAL in SU HISTORY...shows the ball was DROPPED BIG TIME by the COACHES!!!!!! The players got bent over out there and RAMMED all game long. It was embarassing.
  • 1 on 1 ...doesnt work against a team like that...with these players...it was obvious at the 4 minute mark...but they had zero ideas of what to do. 1 on 1 is the go to...and it went right into their wheelhouse. The offense needs to be developed more.
  • Pound the Portal!! PLEASE. The only player who should be a gauranteed starter next season is Kadary...if he returns...if a title is the goal. if family basketball is the goal then do not pound the portal.

Kadary: 23 minutes, 5 points, 1 assist, 3 TOs. JG3: 24 minutes, 12 points, 1 assists, 2 TOs. This game was not a roster management issue. We couldn't score.
Exactly but don’t ruin the narrative that many want to spew. If you played Kadiary five more minutes we would have won

Jesse was +10 in 19 mins of play.

JB said he was tired.

so there you go...thats why we didn’t start the 2nd half with him?
whatever

Damn really +10? That's even more than I would have guessed.

Maybe it goes down if he was tired. Idk. Oh well.

There were a few weird plays around then. Girard with the behind the head pass attempt. Oooof.

Missed travel.

I feel like their PG right around then just pinned the ball on his hip. Then just started dribbling again. Pretty sure that's a double dribble.

No real issue with the officials, they seemed all over the place generally, but I do think they missed a couple fouls on three pointers that may have helped us. Joe got creamed on the one no-call, then missed a wide open one. I also thought Q got fouled in the first half when the defender got under him and didn't allow him to land. Isn't that a rule? Camera angle SUCKED on that one though.

The missed travel was the momentum changer. It should have been our ball at 20-20, and instead we were down 23-20, and they scored the next 7 points before the half.

We never got closer than 7 the rest of the way.

Jesse and Benny are the types of players who can get you past a team like Houston. Jesse, with 15-20 lbs and the added experience is a threat to score in the post. That alone is a problem for playing a team like Houston. Even as limited as he is he changed the game.

Griffin never could fill the role we hoped he would. Buddy did his best to be himself and Hughes but one guy doesn't fill two shoes.

Richmond can and should transition to being the guy that has the keys. Much like MCW, Jonny and Ennis. Let him run the show. Your 4 most important guys run Jesse/Benny/Buddy/Kadary. Fit the pieces around that core including adding depth. Frank is the perfect complement to Jesse given Frank is a freak athletically. Joe is the ideal complement as a backup offense first guard.

We need to make it with those 6 first. If we do we can build around them either with guys returning or the portal.

Jesse was great .. but we scored 46pts! If he played 40minutes you could maybe argue we score 2-3 more buckets cuz of his offensive boards, but that’s it. Him playing more doesn’t change the score

The "charge" call was lame too.
It’s maddening. It’s been over a decade. Sport is broken.

If “SU” was in Albany or Buffalo, I wouldn’t even give a crap. It’s strictly regional pride at this point. It’s horrific basketball. And it’s not just because the best talents leave after a year. The coaches/refs have ruined it.

We beat teams better than Houston in the tourney already…
No, we didn’t. SDSU was a 6 and WVU was a 3. Houston earned that 2 seed. Don’t be surprised if they get to the Final Four and beat Baylor.

Jesse was great .. but we scored 46pts! If he played 40minutes you could maybe argue we score 2-3 more buckets cuz of his offensive boards, but that’s it. Him playing more doesn’t change the score
+10 while he was on the floor. Jesse playing more could have changed the score. We simply don’t know...maybe he was too tired

+10 while he was on the floor. Jesse playing more could have changed the score. We simply don’t know...maybe he was too tired
Yes he was great on D. But we scored 46.

As I said... from a purely basketball standpoint, taking him out to close the half for a player who had 2 fouls and routinely gets out muscled is irrational.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom