Postgame Thoughts... Illinois | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts... Illinois

We looked like a competent team at times earlier in the year. I have to wonder if Joe being a legit outside threat opens up Jesse in the middle and Judah to drive. Right now we have nothing outside so teams can clog the middle and we simply can not score.
I’d say we looked “competent” against Lehigh and Northeastern. I’ve been saying that we’re a decent mid major team, and our close win over Richmond and losses to SJU, Bryant and Illinois only reinforce that to me.

I have way more hope with Judah as pg than the other guys we’ve brought in recently. He had a bad game but it’s a tough spot to be in as a freshman. I mean look at who is surrounding him.
Gave you a like because I too think it's one game and the supporting cast is dreadful. That said if he was my teammate we'd be fighting in the locker room over his refusal to pass

Last edited:
Im not comparing the state of our program vs Duke, UNC, Arizona. Simply just saying you can get transfers with first year coaches. Thats why the emphasis would be about selling the resurgence of Cuse hoops under a first year HC.

The last ten years aren't as miserable as a lot of people make it out to be and won't really matter that much going forward. This currently stinks but it's a blip over the course of a program's history.

If those guys are good they'll get players here quick.

The last ten years aren't as miserable as a lot of people make it out to be
we've been barely competitive in the ACC . when are we ever going to see a title game ? never with this coach.

Last edited:
For the first time ever, you can legit wonder if we will win a single conference game.

We have to hope someone is more dysfunctional that we are.

Looking at the upcoming schedule, I think we can get to 10-5….

but then finish something like 13-18.

We need a coach to mold and shape this young roster that isn’t as bad our record shows.

JAB is not that coach
It is that bad. Our 3 “forwards”: yuck. Taylor: will be an decent-good ACC player. Carey: 3 year project, at least, but not surprising given his lack of play for 2 years. Mintz is real deal. Good thing Pitt sucked it last year or he would be a Panther.

Or…. Or Benny can shut the up. We got crushed and although he was better than normal he did nothing special out there.

This team reminds me a lot of or undisciplined football team.
Or the refs call the game right and recognize a player is frustrated.

The refs were in the wrong, as noticed by everyone

Or the refs call the game right and recognize a player is frustrated.

The refs were in the wrong, as noticed by everyone
Eh. Benny has been losing his mind all year.

He needs to be mentally tougher. It’s fake hustle and fake toughness.

On the season, Benny Williams has the same number of assists (6) as Chris Bell has rebounds (6). Even JBA (8) has more rebounds than Bell.

Best line up by PER: Jesse, Hima, Maliq, Mintz and Taylor. We haven't seen that one together yet. If we're going to run out Hima, JBA, and Sy for a few minutes, we may as well try the former.

maybe a change of sneaker color. neon green ain't bringing' the mojo.

On the season, Benny Williams has the same number of assists (6) as Chris Bell has rebounds (6). Even JBA (8) has more rebounds than Bell.

Best line up by PER: Jesse, Hima, Maliq, Mintz and Taylor. We haven't seen that one together yet. If we're going to run out Hima, JBA, and Sy for a few minutes, we may as well try the former.
PER favors inside players though. I don’t think we can run two centers and a 4 man who is most comfortable around the basket, at the same time.

PER favors inside players though. I don’t think we can run two centers and a 4 man who is most comfortable around the basket, at the same time.
and-gif-8.gif

Can't be worse then running out two shooters who can't shoot. Just play like UNC, chuck bricks and go for easy putbacks.

we've been barely competitive in the ACC . when are we ever going to see a title game ? never with this coach.

That's just not true. We've been a lousy ACC tournament team for sure.

That's just not true. We've been a lousy ACC tournament team for sure.
jim boeheim has a total of 5 conference tournament titles in 46 years of coaching. last was in 2006 BE play when we went 7-9 . no acc conference titles or tourney titles . we struggle to finish mid pack every year.
for those who think (like jb) the only thing that matters is march i say 4 months of winter misery is not erased by 4 days of spring. i want to see this program ranked nationally and i want to see us as conference contenders. those days seem to be long past.

Last edited:
jim boeheim has a total of 5 conference tournament titles in 46 years of coaching. last was in 2006 BE play when we went 7-9 . no acc conference titles or tourney titles . we struggle to finish mid pack every year.
Not exactly the ‘Beasts of the East‘ Alaska keeps taking about.

That's not "barely competitive." They've been above 500 in conference (that'll change) and have won at big venues on the road like we never faced in the BE minus maybe Connecticut.

ACC tournament have at it - been terrible.

He’s actually doing things the last few games and getting results so if “losing his mind” is what’s needed to get stats on the sheet then I don’t blame him

Joe needs to move without the ball. Just stands around. Too easy to guard especially since he is small. Teams are just putting a tight defender on him and if he gets the ball, he can't get a shot off. If he is to get shots, there has to be more movement and more screens set for him. And when he does shoot he needs to go straight up... no 3-point fadeaways off one foot. Jesse gets props for 17 boards. Love to see that but in general, the team does not box out. Ball goes up and they just look. Should be that when the ball goes up, you find a man and box him out.

Last edited:
He’s actually doing things the last few games and getting results so if “losing his mind” is what’s needed to get stats on the sheet then I don’t blame him
Getting technicals and getting kicked out of games isn’t good, neither is completely abandoning any sense of discipline and running around wildly out there once frustration sets in.

That went from a 10-15 point game to a 30 point game while guys like him were way out of position on defense, swinging wildly for blocks, etc. Fake hustle.

Due to the team's youth/lack of college experience and Girard's (yuck) play, JB
has a dumpster fire for a team. Guys like Bell, Mintz, Taylor are having to play more minutes than probably originally thought. Benny is a headcase. If this team finishes above 500, JB has done a fine job as coach.
If not...see ya.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom