Postgame thoughts... UNC | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame thoughts... UNC

It’s cool to pick on Girard, but we haven’t got nearly what we need to of Dolezaj this year l. I know he weighs 200 pounds, but no excuse for the lack of production outside of rebounding.
He had one rebound in the game. He’s useless when he passes up five foot shots and he’s a terrible post defender. He was the main reason SU came away with a loss.

The problem with Kadary is not him but you now have two players on thr floor you don’t have to guard on the perimeter. Marek doesn’t even look at the basket. You can’t run offense when two defensive players can sheet off two guys. It appears that Sidibe may be done and might not be able to come back. This team won’t make the tournament with him. ZERO chance.

JB was seeing if Joe could get hot from 3. I love Kadary and we are clearly way better on defense with him. But on offense they face guard him which really helps everyone else. They sag off Kadary but he’s a better passer/playmaker.

no problem with the subs tonight. AG was better defensively in the Second halfand has the potential to be hot from 3.

We will just never play well against this kind of size
I agree and I think the last sentence is our problem. We have to play some guys more minutes than they may merit at the time because they could get hot from 3. Buddy was our team in a nutshell. Awesome first half and a ghost in the second ( I know he had a couple of nice passes but he also had at least 2 dumb turnovers). Griffin is invisible unless he's shooting - either making them or making me scratch my head over what a dumb shot it was. Braswell is around the action so much more when he is in. That said with our "offense" we play to the fact that a player may get hot which is why we are what we are.

Kadary’s defense wasn’t making a difference in this game. Joe didn’t give the ball away on that play when he was stuck at the rim, FYI. He put up a shot that Griffin boarded and then booted OB. Would Kadary have done better at the rim in that situation? Probably. Would Kadary have gotten to the rim in that situation -noting that the UNC defender would have been playing 10 feet off of him - probably not.

Joe dribbled a ball off his leg and committed a foul during a crucial point. Kadary threw a pass to empty bleachers and allowed a transition layup at a crucial point. Neither is infallible.
Joe did the same on a pass to Buddy throwing the ball out of bounds. And your reference to when Griffin got a rebound was one of Girards drive, it happened again shortly after where he hit the bottom of the rim and was immediately rebounded by the defender. The point being that when he drives its basically a turnover.

Here is my problem. I love JB but the man is full of excuses and always throwing blame around. But hear me out. He always is talking about how we don’t have the players, or enough players, or don’t have a center behind Marek.

WELL isn’t it the COACHES job to recruit players to make sure we have players behind Marek? Isn’t it the coaches jobs to develop players to make sure we have players behind Marek? The JG3 and Kadary situation is a different story, our shot selection is a different story. Griffin just getting absolutely abused on defense is a different story.

But sometimes JB and the coaches have to look themselves in the mirror. This is 3 games in a row JB has had a piss poor coaching job. But if thinks we need more players well we are Syracuse...go and get them and develop them. I hate that excuse year in and year out from him. We have proven it in the past we can do it so why is this an excuse all of the sudden???

lol browsing this thread and others-
are we like 3-7 and just got throttled by Cornell?
Yea, how many home games does UNC lose at home, with their refs and all. People here are triggered. Lost 3 games: At Rutgers without Buddy or Sid, good loss, To Pitt after a 3 week layoff with out Sid, throw out loss, at UNC without Sid, good loss.

Yay! An average team with the same warts as every other year.

Imma buy a couple of t-shirts.

I also think that a lot of people are pinning hopes on Bourama being some kind of savior because he had a nice stretch of 6 games last season. Jury is still out. If he ever makes it back.

Here is my problem. I love JB but the man is full of excuses and always throwing blame around. But hear me out. He always is talking about how we don’t have the players, or enough players, or don’t have a center behind Marek.

WELL isn’t it the COACHES job to recruit players to make sure we have players behind Marek? Isn’t it the coaches jobs to develop players to make sure we have players behind Marek? The JG3 and Kadary situation is a different story, our shot selection is a different story. Griffin just getting absolutely abused on defense is a different story.

But sometimes JB and the coaches have to look themselves in the mirror. This is 3 games in a row JB has had a piss poor coaching job. But if thinks we need more players well we are Syracuse...go and get them and develop them. I hate that excuse year in and year out from him. We have proven it in the past we can do it so why is this an excuse all of the sudden???
Frankly we have played better at times with Woody and others on the court. Even edwards was holding his own. JB is so stubborn at this point that these games are a fait accompli

KR played 16 and Joe played 26.
Thanks for the news. Previous game against garbage Georgetown was 37/6 Joe.

Honestly way too much JG3 v Kadary discussion, not enough Bras v Griffin discussion which was a way bigger issue imo in this game.
This.

The game was lost because our interior play was absolutely pathetic, save for Q. The substitution patterns for this team are baffling. Braswell didn't see the floor in the 2nd half until Q fouled out with a couple minutes left. How does that make a lick of sense?

Marek played 35 minutes and got 1 board. It's fine to rip him, he played terribly. But its also fair to note, for the millionth time, that *he is not an ACC center*. We knew that going into the game and we still trotted him out at the 5 to get his obligatory 2 fouls before the first TV TO. I mean, who could have seen that coming? Oh right, everyone.

We have 3 healthy centers on the roster and apparently none of them can give us meaningful minutes. That's a joke, and a complete failure of the staff.

Griff can sometimes make bad shots though, which in our offense is always a necessity.
Griff takes some head scratching shots but that’s not so much his problem as he is more of an offensive player and you get the good and bad with him on offense and he’s good enough on offense where you have to live with it.

My problem with Griff is his defense is atrocious. Like horrible. Just watch solely him for a possession. He is lost, he gets turned around, always out of position. He’s good for a flashy defensive play or 2 a game which to the casual fan takes away from how bad he is on 90% of the other possessions because those are the only plays they notice.

Braswell on the other hand is a stud on defense. If he could get stronger and be less timid he could be a pretty good all around player. Which tbh surprised me cause I didn’t have much hope for him to begin the season. Kadary and Braswell are our best defensive players by a mile.

Griff takes some head scratching shots but that’s not so much his problem as he is more of an offensive player and you get the good and bad with him on offense and he’s good enough on offense where you have to live with it.

My problem with Griff is his defense is atrocious. Like horrible. Just watch solely him for a possession. He is lost, he gets turned around, always out of position. He’s good for a flashy defensive play or 2 a game which to the casual fan takes away from how bad he is on 90% of the other possessions because those are the only plays they notice.

Braswell on the other hand is a stud on defense. If he could get stronger and be less timid he could be a pretty good all around player. Which tbh surprised me cause I didn’t have much hope for him to begin the season. Kadary and Braswell are our best defensive players by a mile.
At one point griffin sprinted to half court attempting to read a pass that never happened as the ball was in the opposite corner. He just needs a year.

unrelated: do we practice dribbling and passing at all? We’re horrible at both.

the other obvious point would be Grffin isn’t big and/or strong enough to rebound in a zone against a semi decent team.

we are always better when our SF can rebound at the wing. Melo, Wes...I’m sure there’s some others

the other obvious point would be Grffin isn’t big and/or strong enough to rebound in a zone against a semi decent team.

we are always better when our SF can rebound at the wing. Melo, Wes...I’m sure there’s some others
You don't think Griffin can rebound from the wing?

At one point griffin sprinted to half court attempting to read a pass that never happened as the ball was in the opposite corner. He just needs a year.
Saw that as well. Lucky he didn’t get caught out of position.

You don't think Griffin can rebound from the wing?

I don’t, unfortunately. He can defend at the wing, be active, etc...but the weak side rebound is there every time. He’s just not big enough

He’s reminding me a lot of when theyd stick Gbinije there.

I don’t, unfortunately. He can defend at the wing, be active, etc...but the weak side rebound is there every time. He’s just not big enough

He’s reminding me a lot of when theyd stick Gbinije there.
He and Buddy switched at one point during a transition by UNC and it looked more natural.

Braswell needs more minutes, good defender and can rebound, AG can jump but seems small for the back of the zone, IMO. KR needs more minutes and helps a ton on the boards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom