Postgame Thoughts... UVA (game 2) | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts... UVA (game 2)

Has to be tough having dinner reservations at 9:30 pm with a visiting recruit. I thought the guys played well tonight. We don’t have a high level go to guy down the stretch. Virginia’s defense the final three minutes took us out of everything we wanted to do. We are in trouble when Jesse puts the ball on the floor. Nothing good happens. Judah was terrific tonight. He didn’t force and played under control. Joes missed layup and the run of missed free throws was the difference. Defense was good tonight. The foul on Mintz when the ball was thrown seven feet over the Virginia player was a joke call. He couldn’t catch that pass with a ladder. It resulted in a three after Brown was knocked down trying for a rebound. Huge moment in the game. The officials had the worst 45/seconds of officiating I’ve seen in a long time. Otherwise they were ok tonight.

8 pts on 5 FG attemps, 7 boards, 2 assists, 2 steals, 1 one block. Played full 40.

Really? More on the offensive end? If he did more on the offensive end the kid would be leaving for the draft this year.
Don’t be surprised if he hunts an NIL deal…

I've noticed when Jesse puts some effort into post moves and largely gets bodied up and really off balance he will almost always still attempt a much weaker less fluid shot. Rarely draws a foul on these. Maybe that's what coaches have tried to get him to do but he just lacks strength to get very close to the basket and ends up awkwardly bouncing off his man. He's been doing it all year, gotta pass and reset.

Our local leaders are Ajax & Copeland. We need a leader not on the bench.

Symir needs more playing time, especially when Joe is not playing well.

I've noticed when Jesse puts some effort into post moves and largely gets bodied up and really off balance he will almost always still attempt a much weaker less fluid shot. Rarely draws a foul on these. Maybe that's what coaches have tried to get him to do but he just lacks strength to get very close to the basket and ends up awkwardly bouncing off his man. He's been doing it all year, gotta pass and reset.
Yep. Primarily needs to keep his balance and get off a strong shot. You have to be strong through contact, even against bigger and stronger guys. You can use your quickness, but you have to be strong.

If that does not work, then resetting is a good option.

who is the best FT shooter on this team?
Girard.
Yet, He either "took" himself out of the game or the players never looked to him.
Close game, you need the senior leadership, especially with 3 freshmen on the floor.
He's got to want the ball. Lately he has showed he can "back" a player down. Shoot over Clark
or get yourself to the foul line. Standing 30 ft. out...waiting? CUSE needs more.

one other thought...I felt like the press was making them rush shots at the end...so then we get within two and Jim is like “the zone is just too good, have to drop back”

don’t get it

Why stay with what works?

I wonder what the percentages are over the years with Boeheims press getting us back into a game only to drop back in the zone. How many do we win? How many do we lose when this happens?

I’d also love to see what happens with a helter skelter press for an entire 40 minutes.

Why stay with what works?

I wonder what the percentages are over the years with Boeheims press getting us back into a game only to drop back in the zone. How many do we win? How many do we lose when this happens?

I’d also love to see what happens with a helter skelter press for an entire 40 minutes.
I used to semi-understand the thought process if the zone was actually affective in getting stops.
We're behind, speed up the game, get back to out go-to defense for the big stop

Nothing we've seen this year suggests we can get a consistent stop with the zone. Making it a frantic pace vs UVA at the end was probably out best shot for not only a stop but also a possible fast break because our offense became everyone standing watching Jesse plow through guys at the end

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom