Potential 2025 Roster | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Potential 2025 Roster

who was the top 6 guy rumored to be hitting the portal? thomson? for what its worth, i have not heard anything to that effect...

if he DOES...im sure michigan would be interested as he was committed there originally...probably hop too as he's best friends with matt collison and they could use the help...

but i havent heard anything about that and i think i would have if it were true

Do we all have a different player in mind when it comes to who this rumored potential transfer is? In my head it was Birtwistle - he's a redshirt and is older than the core group of rising juniors, and he didn't have his best year. He's probably looking at another year on the second midfield if he comes back next year. I really hope it isn't anyone, but I thought it might one of the guys who wouldn't be a starter. Rhoa crossed my mind as well, but given he came in with two other high school teammates, I thought it might be a long shot.

Never really thought it would be Thomson, he seems to be enjoying life at SU and he gets plenty of playing time. Hopkins midfield looks pretty set next year with Collison, Bauer and a healthy English coming back. Again, hope is everyone is happy and realizes they have a chance to do great things next year.

Do we all have a different player in mind when it comes to who this rumored potential transfer is? In my head it was Birtwistle - he's a redshirt and is older than the core group of rising juniors, and he didn't have his best year. He's probably looking at another year on the second midfield if he comes back next year. I really hope it isn't anyone, but I thought it might one of the guys who wouldn't be a starter. Rhoa crossed my mind as well, but given he came in with two other high school teammates, I thought it might be a long shot.

Never really thought it would be Thomson, he seems to be enjoying life at SU and he gets plenty of playing time. Hopkins midfield looks pretty set next year with Collison, Bauer and a healthy English coming back. Again, hope is everyone is happy and realizes they have a chance to do great things next year.
lol no idea that's why i was asking. i thought someone mentioned it was a top 6 guy before which is why i assumed thomson by process of elimination because spallina, hiltz, leo, and english arent going anywhere...maybe i had that wrong

who was the top 6 guy rumored to be hitting the portal? thomson? for what its worth, i have not heard anything to that effect...

if he DOES...im sure michigan would be interested as he was committed there originally...probably hop too as he's best friends with matt collison and they could use the help...

but i havent heard anything about that and i think i would have if it were true

Not Thomson, as you noted I think you would have heard if it was him and he would certainly have no shortage of interested teams.

English Thomson and Leo I think the pros all outweigh the cons with what we saw from them at middie this year. Guys like Rhoa and Birtwistle are in a spot where they will need to either improve or get passed by. Shooting percentages in the 20s and only 3 assists between them (which would be less of a problem if their shot% was higher). They should be on thin ice.

I think I see what you are saying about the offense overall - no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. I agree with that, I just want to see the offense take it to the next level. When the ball is moving, and guys are canning their shots, the SU offense is one of the best in the country. When it's not, it can be ugly to watch, as it was yesterday.

Inserting a player whose going to take 15+ shots a game, even if they are good looks, isn't the way to go. The first name that comes in my mind, and I loved him as a player here, but this team doesn't need another Tucker Dordevic. BUT, it feels like they could really benefit from someone who can be an in-between player - someone who can draw their own slides and move the ball and also score when needed. I think by the end of the year, we saw that Mule also wasn't what this team really needed.

That's why I think it's hyper important to find an attackman who is going to keep a defense honest. I am not advocating for changing the entire offense, I just want to see what might happen when a true elite dodger is put in there, and see how much better the offense as a whole can operate. Perhaps the staff is really high on Anderson and he can be that guy. I am not as high on others to moving Leo to attack, but it's also good to know that is an option.

I quoted the above section just to say I think that's a little harsh on Rhoa (and to a degree Birtwistle). It's really hard to find any offense that had a second line midfielder put up 20 goals like Rhoa did. I'm not saying he doesn't have things to work on, but for a guy who came in as a 10 point scorer and double it over a season is really impressive. I'd like him to improve the passing stats as well, and hopefully that's something he can do next season. I also think the second line should have gotten more playing time last year, but perhaps that's for a different post. Birtwistle has shown the ability to score goals, it just seems like last year he never fully got his mojo (and he was hampered early by injury). I'm willing to bet if he has a good offseason, he can find it again.

Hopefully. That will depend on what the SSDM depth chart looks like in the Fall.

IMO he's just too small to be a DMid.

Quick but tiny.

I wish you could take Hottle's athleticism, his drive, his intensity, his footwork, and everything else that makes a good SSDM, and transpose into someone with size. I just think the size thing is too much to overcome. I do think he'd be a great offensive midfielder if given the time to develop. I have to think he was thrown to the wolves out of necessity and if Syracuse stocks their SSDM need, he'll be back on offense.

I think I see what you are saying about the offense overall - no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. I agree with that, I just want to see the offense take it to the next level. When the ball is moving, and guys are canning their shots, the SU offense is one of the best in the country. When it's not, it can be ugly to watch, as it was yesterday.

Inserting a player whose going to take 15+ shots a game, even if they are good looks, isn't the way to go. The first name that comes in my mind, and I loved him as a player here, but this team doesn't need another Tucker Dordevic. BUT, it feels like they could really benefit from someone who can be an in-between player - someone who can draw their own slides and move the ball and also score when needed. I think by the end of the year, we saw that Mule also wasn't what this team really needed.

That's why I think it's hyper important to find an attackman who is going to keep a defense honest. I am not advocating for changing the entire offense, I just want to see what might happen when a true elite dodger is put in there, and see how much better the offense as a whole can operate. Perhaps the staff is really high on Anderson and he can be that guy. I am not as high on others to moving Leo to attack, but it's also good to know that is an option.

I quoted the above section just to say I think that's a little harsh on Rhoa (and to a degree Birtwistle). It's really hard to find any offense that had a second line midfielder put up 20 goals like Rhoa did. I'm not saying he doesn't have things to work on, but for a guy who came in as a 10 point scorer and double it over a season is really impressive. I'd like him to improve the passing stats as well, and hopefully that's something he can do next season. I also think the second line should have gotten more playing time last year, but perhaps that's for a different post. Birtwistle has shown the ability to score goals, it just seems like last year he never fully got his mojo (and he was hampered early by injury). I'm willing to bet if he has a good offseason, he can find it again.
With Rhoa and Birtwistle, it is part of the larger problem that 5 of our 6 starting middies ended the year shooting under 30%. That alone is not enough to give up on a player, but they need to make up for it in other ways. With Stevens and English, their wing/two way play, their ability to consistently draw slides off the dodge, and their play in the two man game, I thought they did enough to make up for lower percentage shooting. Thomson with the pick setting and feeding ability also made up for it in other areas. Also his shooting improved as the year went on. Rhoa seemed a little less likely to draw a slide/double team than English and Stevens, and did not offer what they and Thomson do as feeders or in the two man game. Therefore I think his shooting percentage is a more glaring issue. Birtwistle is mainly out there to make shots. This year he did that at a 23% clip. That just can't happen. It is a sport of thin margins. I think they can bounce back, but we also cant afford to have our middies all shooting in the 20s again next season. Have to make hard decisions and give underclassmen a shot if we do not see some real improvement there. Both had quality opportunities to score sunday in a 2 goal game and came up short.

Know only been a day and not sure how long portal opens or how often it opens but just curious what time frame looking at to see who if anyone and hope not leaves?

Know only been a day and not sure how long portal opens or how often it opens but just curious what time frame looking at to see who if anyone and hope not leaves?

Portal is open from May 12 to June 10.

Keep in mind that if you graduated and have a job lined up, you don't have to announce anything on social media.

Very Concerned with report I got out of meetings from someone in know w a potentially huge transfer out

Jeremy nyclax doctah
What you hearing ?

Can't speak to what 315 is referencing but there was some rumblings on 2 offensive guys earlier in the year. One of them seems like it was a false alarm, the other could be who 315 is referencing. That said sometimes guys make a split decision at the end of the year and this could be a totally different individual. In the end Lexus is right, all we can really do is let it play out and hope that player decides to stay.

While I understand with the emotions after a tough loss that the instinct is to say we need to go to the portal for everything that did not work against Denver, in the big picture ssdm/wing type defensive athletes is the big gap we need to focus on, despite only allowing 10 yesterday. SSDM was the most consistent problem through the entire season. Excuse some lengthy spitballing here.

People on twitter (Evan Molloy, Steve Panarelli) are calling for us to portal athletic dodgers. The thing is we do have "athletic dodgers" in the offense, but a running theme this year is that the middies (aside from Leo) all struggled with their shooting on the run and outside shooting. Rhoa Stevens and English, who are all without question athletic dodgers that draw slides, all ended the year below 30% shooting. Rhoa, as good of a shooter as he looks when he is on, was very hot and cold this season, and had 2 or 3 solid looks yesterday where we could have really used a goal on at least one, but he missed them all, often wildly. He finished the year at 26%. Athleticism was not the main issue.

Last year on man up we had Alex Simmons doing a lot of the operating from the top position. This year we had Stevens there and he is simply not reliable enough as an outside shooter. Inconsistent inside as well, as we unfortunately saw yesterday. Simmons could move the ball super well while also cranking it from the outside at a good clip. Man down defenses had to respect his outside shot. Think it was a mistake that we did not recognize that issue and continue to experiment with the man up lineup, including maybe trying things with Kellog again. Hate to rag on Stevens who is an elite talent provided so much for us this season, but he was not perfect in all areas of offense. An "athletic dodger", a monster on the wing, but not reliable enough as a shooter.

English Thomson and Leo I think the pros all outweigh the cons with what we saw from them at middie this year. Guys like Rhoa and Birtwistle are in a spot where they will need to either improve or get passed by. Shooting percentages in the 20s and only 3 assists between them (which would be less of a problem if their shot% was higher). They should be on thin ice.

Guys like Deere and Kellog still have potential to fit in with our offense, despite not being "athletic dodgers". We should not just abandon ship on the looks we create off of pick plays and feeding ability because of one game where things fell short, with quite a few blown finishes. Those type of looks are what got us to where we were in the tourney. Guys like Mule Rhoa and Birtwistle disappointed down the stretch. Maybe I am a hopeless optimist but I do not think we need to rethink everything with our offensive concepts. Getting Mr. Speedy Alley Dodger from the portal is not an instant answer unless they ALSO have a reliable shot and ALSO ALSO are willing passers with high quality stick skills that buy into our concepts. Our stable of offensive athletes who draw slides is far down on my list of concerns, especially with things like Anderson arriving next season and Hottle potentially moving back to offense.
I completely agree about not needed more athletic dodgers. If an all star level player is available and wants to be here, take him. But I don’t see it as necessary as most people. I think simply not having Mule as the third attack solves the problem. Meaning no offense to Mule, but put Leo or Peyton Anderson at attack and teams can no longer double pole the middies. Obviously reading this board and getting the sense that someone is leaving, possibly Rhoa, is concerning. But assuming everyone stays, English Rhoa and Thompson on the first line has two middies that can beat a short stick. Let’s just say a second middle line of Anderson Birtwhisltle and Hottle? That’s two that can beat a short stick, even though young and unproven. And I know Birtwhistle was basically a no show this year, but in the times he had the ball, he seemed bigger and faster than he was last year. Not exactly a huge threat to dodge but it seems to me he could have if given more opportunity, not on a line with Rhoa and Stevens.

Top 6 guys I wouldn't want to lose in order

Riley
Dwan
Joey
Mullen
Leo
Rice

There are others who you wouldn't want to lose...but could be replaced.
Put Mccool on that list for me and that’s really it. Hate to see a Rhoa or a Thompson go but we have options to replace them.

People who have seen Bucktooth - is he the answer to the fast dodger need? What is his game like?
I haven't seen the kid, save for some YT vids, but I'd imagine he's his dad's kid. Big, strong, highly skilled. His dad brought us back to the final 4 after the streak was snapped. Can his kid help do the same?

Drago, Trujillo, White allegedly in the Portal.

Trujillo probably not a surprise I mean I don't think he saw the field at all since midseason? I was hoping he would come back and be a factor at SSDM next season though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom