Potential 2025 Roster | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Potential 2025 Roster

Drago, Trujillo, White allegedly in the Portal.

Drago - him leaving doesn’t help LSM depth. He graduated though, so moving on makes sense from an education standpoint. He is talented, I thought he might see more time this year.

Trujillo - came in as a power 100 recruit, thought his size at this level really hindered him. Still, would have liked it if he stuck around and tried for more playing time next year. I do wonder what sort of impact this might have on someone like his high school teammate, Rhoa …

White - great size, just too many guys ahead of him. Would have liked to see him convert to SSDM, but size alone doesn’t make you an adequate defender.

Best of luck to all three.

Drago - him leaving doesn’t help LSM depth. He graduated though, so moving on makes sense from an education standpoint. He is talented, I thought he might see more time this year.

Trujillo - came in as a power 100 recruit, thought his size at this level really hindered him. Still, would have liked it if he stuck around and tried for more playing time next year. I do wonder what sort of impact this might have on someone like his high school teammate, Rhoa …

White - great size, just too many guys ahead of him. Would have liked to see him convert to SSDM, but size alone doesn’t make you an adequate defender.

Best of luck to all three.
Thanks for your thoughts on these players.

I will agree that we say thanks for the hard work they put in and wish them well. Players can leave for many reasons (financial, family issue, and of course playing time).
Wish these young men the best of luck and hope they find success where ever they land.

What's crazy as I know the staff has been working on the 2026 portal. Two Ivy teammates will be putting their names in the graduate portal in the fall (is this a thing) and Syracuse is in the final three with Duke, Maryland at this point.

What's crazy as I know the staff has been working on the 2026 portal. Two Ivy teammates will be putting their names in the graduate portal in the fall (is this a thing) and Syracuse is in the final three with Duke, Maryland at this point.

Good sign there.

Would one happen to had a brother play here?

Sounds like the athletic department has asked Coach Gait to cut down the roster. Expect more to enter the portal.
This is something I’ve seen coming & a conversation I’ve been meaning to initiate on this board. Gait spoke about having a smaller roster in his introductory presser. It’s always been my opinion that a D1 Lax roster should not exceed 45. Below is a hypothetical breakdown.

4 Goalies
9 D-Poles
4 LSM
6 SSDM
4 FO
9 O-Mids
9 Attack
45 Total

3 deep at every position & 4 deep at G, FO, & LSM. This maximizes practice reps & significantly cuts down overall expenses, especially at top level Lax program like SU where they’re chartering flights, booking hotels, etc.

This is something I’ve seen coming & a conversation I’ve been meaning to initiate on this board. Gait spoke about having a smaller roster in his introductory presser. It’s always been my opinion that a D1 Lax roster should not exceed 45. Below is a hypothetical breakdown.

4 Goalies
9 D-Poles
4 LSM
6 SSDM
4 FO
9 O-Mids
9 Attack
45 Total

3 deep at every position & 4 deep at G, FO, & LSM. This maximizes practice reps & significantly cuts down overall expenses, especially at top level Lax program like SU where they’re chartering flights, booking hotels, etc.
That is the target number. Lower numbers will also help with reps.

Should be interesting with this and Covid ending and now being more picky in the portal if this is what its gonna look like going forward.

Has anyone heard big d1 names yet in the portal?

Sounds like the athletic department has asked Coach Gait to cut down the roster. Expect more to enter the portal.
A lot more funding is being allocated to the FB program these days. Makes sense. The 25 class is "smaller " so that conversation with the AD was likely had last summer/early fall.

A lot more funding is being allocated to the FB program these days. Makes sense. The 25 class is "smaller " so that conversation with the AD was likely had last summer/early fall.
There are 63 guys on Orange’s projected roster for next year. That’s a heavy axe to bring down.

There are 63 guys on Orange’s projected roster for next year. That’s a heavy axe to bring down.
My guess is they bring roster down to 52 for next season and then lower 2 seasons out. This is pure speculation on my part as I have no inside information.

Makes sense, the roster was getting quite large. I can't imagine it's easy to keep track of so many players, with only four full time coaches. I thought Desko should have trimmed the roster even before the pandemic.

If the goal is to get down to 45 players, that's quite a lot of cuts. Not counting the players already rumored to be in the portal (Drago, Trujilio and White), and not counting a few players who could come back but I'd be surprised if they did (Kohn, Rosa and Clary), that still leaves 12 players to ask to move on. There might be some players ready to move on with year of eligibility due to a redshirt (Witherspoon, Tenaglia, Duffy), but asking nine players to move on seems tough. I'd assume the coaches want to bring in at least a few transfers as well.

I did my own roster construction, and if you bring it down to 45, it's still a really good roster. Just the nuts and bolts of it isn't that hard. But the human aspect I imagine will be harder. Do you ask a senior whose bought in for three or four years to hit the road? A sophomore who might just be finding their legs after their first year of college? It's tough. I agree the roster needs to be smaller, but hope the coaches will be delicate about it. Maybe CuseAlum87 is right and this is a multi-year process, but it might be better/easier to rip the Band-Aid off.

If B. White, Trujillo, and Drago are in the portal then we're down to 60.

While nothing confirmed, it was talked about on here that Kohn might move on so 59.

Next would be the redshirt seniors and finding out if they were staying or going, or if some are given the talk. Tenaglia, Hiltz, Birtwistle, Witherspoon, Kol, Rosa, Clary, and Duffy. Tenaglia, Witherspoon, and Duffy hardly saw time so maybe they move on. Do Clary and Rosa want to try again after their injuries?

Gibbs and Lamonaca have hardly taken any draws and seem to have been recruited over, does one or both decide to try their luck elsewhere? Erlbeck, F. Kelly, Borges, and Cordes are upperclassmen that have seen limited time or none at all on the offensive side who might have also been recruited over. Defensive side I'm not sure who did or didn't get see the field without checking each bio.

I'm sure there's other guys who feel like they aren't going to see the field or want a starter spot and might try their luck elsewhere, especially with how much some teams are losing.

Looks like Powellfan had the same type of post and beat me to it. I agree that it could be done in one year but it'd be hard to say thanks for sticking it out during a rought time in the programs history but here's the door.

Last edited:
Is it still true that the NCAA only allows you to dress 32 players for tournament games?

Is it still true that the NCAA only allows you to dress 32 players for tournament games?
Only 32 are active. The guys that have the blue NCAA patch are able to play. The others travel.

If B. White, Trujillo, and Drago are in the portal then we're down to 60.

While nothing confirmed, it was talked about on here that Kohn might move on so 59.

Next would be the redshirt seniors and finding out if they were staying or going, or if some are given the talk. Tenaglia, Hiltz, Birtwistle, Witherspoon, Kol, Rosa, Clary, and Duffy. Tenaglia, Witherspoon, and Duffy hardly saw time so maybe they move on. Do Clary and Rosa want to try again after their injuries?

Gibbs and Lamonaca have hardly taken any draws and seem to have been recruited over, does one or both decide to try their luck elsewhere? Erlbeck, F. Kelly, Borges, and Cordes are upperclassmen that have seen limited time or none at all on the offensive side who might have also been recruited over. Defensive side I'm not sure who did or didn't get see the field without checking each bio.

I'm sure there's other guys who feel like they aren't going to see the field or want a starter spot and might try their luck elsewhere, especially with how much some teams are losing.

Looks like Powellfan had the same type of post and beat me to it. I agree that it could be done in one year but it'd be hard to say thanks for sticking it out during a rought time in the programs history but here's the door.
Gibbs is possible from what I've heard.

Hmmm. Hopfan16 over at FanLax posted that Trujilio is NOT in the portal. Anyone know what's going on? Changed his mind or a miscommunication?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom