Practice Report II | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Practice Report II

Thank you! There's nothing better than a good practice report.

PT is going to be so hard to come by this year, especially for Carey I suspect. Battle will be able to run point, so Carey will have to be better than either Hughes or Boeheim to get on the court. Carey has a lot of talent, but being a freshman point guard is difficult. Its going to be fascinating to see how minutes get distributed between Dolezaj, Hughes, Carey and Boeheim.

Oshae is still an athlete and not the basketball player he needs to be. Have always LOVED his potential. Like Tom wrote; getting stronger/finishing through contact and the 3-ball needs to improve.

Very interested to see Tyus now. Even a little improvement would be huge. Looks like we’ll be in for a real treat there.

Last edited:

PT is going to be so hard to come by this year, especially for Carey I suspect. Battle will be able to run point, so Carey will have to be better than either Hughes or Boeheim to get on the court. Carey has a lot of talent, but being a freshman point guard is difficult. Its going to be fascinating to see how minutes get distributed between Dolezaj, Hughes, Carey and Boeheim.

Agreed re: minutes distribution but when Boeheim says something to the degree of (paraphrasing), “He’s one of the best offensive point guards we have recruited in 20 years...” about Carey; I don’t see how he doesn’t get quality minutes unless he totally falls on his face and struggles the way Quade Green did early on. It’s possible. But, this team desperately needs his attacking ability, speed, shot-making skills, IMO. Just his downhill mentality should be a breath of fresh air.

Three things I want to see on this team compared to last season:
1) Oshae hitting his 2-pt FGs at a more appropriate rate.
2) More run and gun, less holding the ball for 28 seconds and then a desperation shot from Tyus.
3) Marek being more of a pivot point in the offense.

I assume the starting lineup is going to look like Frank, Tyus, Marek, Brissett, Chukwu? Sid, Carey, Hughes as the primary B-rotation and Washington, Buddy, and Braswell as filler when needed?
I do not suspect #2 being an issue like last year. We have way more depth and offensive weapons. I think we will run quite a bit

Just went from 6 to midnight reading this! Great writeup, thanks!

1244551f109721a4cdb572292f8e21d1--seinfeld-episodes-massage-pictures.jpg

If this feeling lasts for more than 4 hours, please contact your bartender or bookie immediately!
:p

Thanks for writing this. Question: I heard that Marek has grown. Some say 6'10". Your take?

Thanks for the update. Enjoying the SU football season but looking forward to the return of basketball.

Was able to watch some of the men's basketball practice last night.

Here is what I saw:

Watched them scrimmaging among each other for about 15 minutes. Both sides played man to man defense, which has been the case in other practices I have seen in the preseason.

All the scholarship players were there except Howard Washington. I am going to assume he had a class.

Frank was dressed but was still wearing that giant protective boot on his left ankle. He seemed in good spirits. Joked around with some of the walk-ons. Took a bunch of free throws. Shot about 70%. His form was good.

The coaches changed the teams several times to get the matchups they wanted, but Sidibe and Chukwu were always on different sides and always played center.

Bourama moved well and showed no signs of discomfort or limping. That is probably the biggest takeaway I had from the practice. Chukwu outscored Sidibe but at least part of that was because Sidibe's teammates didn't do a good job getting him the ball. BS rebounded the ball well and I think did a reasonably good job defending the paint.

Marek was on Chukwu's team most of the time and made several nice feeds to get Paschal the game in good position down low. Marek's body looks a little longer than last season but not bulkier. No question he is playing more assertive and with more confidence. If he is open, he will take the shot. But his first instinct still seems to be to try and set someone else up for an easy basket.

PC appears to have done some work in the weight room. His upper body and arms are noticeably bigger than last year. He established good position down low better than BS did and when he got the ball there, he finished most of the time (BS did get one block on him).

Braswell was kind of in the background most of the time. He isn't real dynamic trying to get open; mostly hangs out on the perimeter. He looks like a capable defender and a reasonably good rebounder (he blocked out well a couple of times). When he got the ball, he almost always passed it to someone else almost immediately. I would say he might be lacking confidence with the ball right now. I didn't see him shoot once but his form when practicing FTs or just shooting jumpers unguarded is excellent.

Buddy is another guy who mostly hung out on the perimeter but he was a lot more active. He moves around without the ball, trying to get open. He will take a couple of dribbles and probe for a weakness. Looks like he is going to be a good passer. Definitely likes to work give and go plays.

Buddy's shooting form is really good. I think he hit 1 of 3 3 point jumpers, all of which he was very open. He got a couple of rebounds. Like so many on this team, he is really thin but he is fearless and plays hard. I think he will be a liability defensively, especially rebounding, playing on the baseline. I think he will fit in better playing up top in the zone. At one point, the team broke out into FT shooting practice. He and Tyus shared a basket and appeared to have a FT shooting contest. Both were really good at this. I believe both made their first 10. Buddy only grazed the rim twice.

With HW and FH not playing, Jalen Carey played PG a lot. He attacked the basketball when in transition or semi-transition with mixed results (missed a bunny with Chukwu in his face). Really quick. Very aggressive in transition. When in half court settings, he didn't do much except help work the ball around the perimeter. He took one outside shot and missed it pretty badly. I saw him get picked off the ball a couple of times where he did not fight through the pick and left his guy wide open (believe it was Tyus both times). His shooting form is excellent. He has some work to do on defense but he is really quick and athletic. Has the raw talent to be outstanding defensively over time.

Hughes looked really good. If he gets the ball and is open within 22 feet of the basket, he is going to shoot it and it is probably going to go in. He is capable of penetrating and pulling up for a mid range jumper too. I think he will be okay but not great rebounding on the baseline; seems pretty physical and jumps well. He didn't stand out on defense in a good or a bad way. Very smooth, effortless style. Didn't hold the ball much. Quiet assassin.

Oshae looked about the same as last year physically. Played about the same too. Threw up a couple of 3s, drove and drew a foul, drove and scored. Dominated the boards. Mostly hung out on the perimeter. Looked to be having fun.

That leaves Tyus. He was really impressive. Physically, he looks a lot like he did last year. He added some muscle but not a ton. Played like he did last year too but he seems more in control; more confident. It appeared he could do whatever he wanted out there and he did just that. Hit the one 3 he took. Got to the paint when he wanted. Scored in the paint when he wanted and he set up teammates with good passes too. And he locked down his name on defense too. Played the hardest of any of the players. He is setting the tone and was the unquestioned leader of the team (though Frank will surely help here when he returns). If this part of one practice means anything (any you have to be careful to assume what you see in practice is what you will see in real games), TB is going to be an All American. A walk-on was supposed to be playing PG on his team most of the time, but Tyus ran the offense and he looked very good doing it. I assume this was one of the things he worked on during the off season. Only saw one jumper but it was hitchless and all net.

I wish we had a little more beef out there. I am thinking Elijah is going to shoot well enough from the outside he will have to be covered, which will open space for everyone else. I am thinking Marek has shown he also needs to be accounted for, and it looks like Paschal has improved enough that defenses may have to cover him on the many pick and rolls he likes to try that are ignored by friend and foe alike.

No question the defense is going to be really good. If the offense is just decent, this is a top 10 team. If it turns out to be good, watch out.
You, sir, are a credit to Cuse Nation and a hero to us all. Thank you, as always, for your exemplary work.

I hope not to see him there anymore. Especially since it doesn’t appear that he became stronger. Looks like Chewy or Bourama can hold it down. If Bourama can stay healthy and if he improved even a little offensively and strength-wise; then I think (hope) he’ll hold that spot down the most.

Somebody needs to get the trainer from Maryland in here who developed Huerter.
I would avoid the Maryland training staff like the plague.

Carey is going to have no problem getting on the court. Will post more tomorrow.

This team might be special.

Carey is going to have no problem getting on the court. Will post more tomorrow.

Wow, Jake saying this team might be special is one hell of a good thing to hear at this point in the season. Definitely the most encouraging thing I've heard so far re: what's to come...

So just maybe SU fans can hold off on ordering extra Bayer this year. Nice change that would be.

Battle won’t see the point

That's great news if true. The best version of this team involves having Carey taking over some of the ball handling duties. If he does play major minutes, its going to mean that he's really good.

That's great news if true. The best version of this team involves having Carey taking over some of the ball handling duties. If he does play major minutes, its going to mean that he's really good.

That pure scorer, attack the basket and look to break whenever possible is one thing we have been really missing. Gbinije did it some ( more in our tourney run) but before him it's back to MCW and a larger extent Dion to find that element back in the Dome. It's so key in how much pressure it puts on a defense as well as opening things up for others.

That pure scorer, attack the basket and look to break whenever possible is one thing we have been really missing. Gbinije did it some ( more in our tourney run) but before him it's back to MCW and a larger extent Dion to find that element back in the Dome. It's so key in how much pressure it puts on a defense as well as opening things up for others.
Bug, Pearl, Flynn, Dion were exceptional at attacking the hoop. Lets hope Carey is next in line.

Great thread. I would be champing at the bit for hoops season to begin except it looks like we may be in for a special football season as well.

So here’s what I’m hearing regarding hoops.

The feeling is that we are good enough to be 2010 / 2003 special. The addition of Carey, Hughes and Buddy changes much of the offensive dynamics that led this team to struggle last year.

The plan is to run more. Carey, especially, is excellent in transition. He’s realllllllly good. Have heard comparisons to a young Ben Gordon, or maybe Gary Payton.

Hughes brings versatility and scoring, Carey speed and the ability to attack the rim and Buddy should benefit by getting open looks...

The 9 will be Frank, Tyus, Brissett, Marek, PC, Hughes, Sidibe, Carey and Buddy...but everyone loves Braswell - ”a future star”.

Expect to see everyone’s minutes decrease from last year. The rotation will look a lot like 2010...where the second unit comes in and pushes tempo ala Joseph / Scoop etc.

We will be more physical and versatile and don’t be surprised if Frank becomes an “A” level shooter...and no issues regarding his long term health.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom