Practice Report II | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Practice Report II

yeah . . . 2014 was eons ago!

We've been in the league five years and that was the first year we entered. We lost five of our last seven against league opponents that year including the ACC Tourney. Finished 14-4 in league play, but it certainly didn't feel like we were one of the better teams in the league towards the end of the year.

Since then, we've been 9-9, 9-9, 10-8, 8-10. Not even close to competing for a title. It has only been four years but it feels like a lot longer.

So drastic improvement (i.e. closer to 10 ppg and moving waaaayyyy up the O rating charts) is absolutely possible and maybe even very realistic with this group, but I think anyone would have to agree that it's hard to 'expect' that type of improvement...I think it's completely fine to be expecting significant and maybe even dramatic improvement, but I do think everyone has to wait and see a bit to really know what we have.

I guess I see things differently. Will we see that kind of improvement in team offense? One person's hunch is as good as another's hunch at this point. Except those, of course, whose hunches are based on watching these guys practice every day, which is where we are getting all of this reported optimism re: that kind of improvement in this year's team.

Those who are cautious by nature---who like to temper their hopes so as to avoid/prevent disappointment in the future---are quite right to hold back on the optimism at this point, simply cuz they ain't seen nothing yet. But I must confess that I don't find it all that hard to 'expect' that type of improvement, based on what we've been hearing repeatedly from various sources.

When JB says he's seen significant improvement in Tyus Battle's game, it registers as one of the keys to generating that kind of improvement in the team's offensive performance over last year. The reports we've heard that Frank has been 'lights out' from 3-pt range over the summer suggests yet another source of significant improvement in the team's offensive performance. We have been consistently hearing for many months that Hughes can bury the three as well as anyone on the team...another indicator of significant improvement. And Carey's reputation as an offensive force has been validated by recent reports from practice.

After the improvement we witnessed last year in the offensive performances of our freshmen forwards over the course of the season, it's actually hard to not expect to see more of the same kind of improvement this year. Even the reports on Pascal have been encouraging. And I don't think there's anyone who doesn't think that a healthy Bourama Sidibe would significantly help the team's offensive capabilities.

But there's one thing Jake said in particular makes me think there is good reason to expect more scoring from this year's team: the fact that the coaching staff wants to run more.

It's not just that we have a new infusion of offensive talent, though that is surely part of it. Boeheim was trying to manage a crisis last year---a depleted bench---and did a pretty good job of it, though it meant deliberately using the entire shot clock on offense to shorten the game. Without that concern this year, I expect this year's team will dedicate itself to forcing turnovers at a higher rate this year, which if successful, will provide many more transition scoring opportunities.

Put all those factors together and I think we'll see those extra 10+ points per game, and the reason why the coaching staff is now thinking that this year's team may be able to duplicate the achievements of that wonderful 2010 team back in the day.

So I give myself permission to be that optimistic about this year's team, even though it is based only on grapevine reports. Unknown unknowns---like injuries---could dash those hopes, but unless and until those kinds of disasters happen, I'm firmly in the camp of those who expect to see Syracuse in the Top Ten most of the year, slugging it out with Duke/Virginia/N. Carolina for domination of the ACC...

Last edited:
Legit concern, IMO. JB's best teams are the ones that fit together well and have guys playing in the spots that suit them the best. The title team had GMac off-ball (a luxury he rarely had the next three years) the bulk of the time, Melo able to go inside-out at the 3 instead of being forced into exclusively playing the 4 and Pace and duany being able to chip in as needed in bench roles. Even two years ago, once Battle got going at the 2, White settled in at the 3 and we used Lydon to play a kind of odd, but effective stretch 5 type role was much better than when we were trying to squeeze White in at the 2 and make lydon a wing.

The point being, it seems logical to at least question if Hughes, who is a bit short for the ideal player at the three, can quite handle what we need him to handle in that role.
Depends on Hughes vertical jump. When it comes to rebounding position and timing is everything.( ty Goose for stating the obvious)

Since I know little about the actual play of basketball, I would like to comment on emotion. One of my strongest memories of the 2010 team was how much we liked our players. I mean, I “like” every team, but that team I loved. And of course, why wouldn’t I love them? They were successful, and it really seemed that they liked and trusted one another.

I got that same feeling from last year’s team when they played in the tournament. They were so happy to have been selected, so determined to prove their worth, and so applauding of their teammates’ efforts. I kept hearing the song, “I get knocked down, I get up again, ain’t no one gonna keep me down.” (Or whatever those lyrics are.) It seemed to me that not only were they devastated to lose, but they were so sad they were never going to play together again as that team.

And then Battle came back. And he’s good. And we know the team will accept his leadership. (If Bazely had come . . Hmmm) They are all BACK, and they have reinforcements. My biggest hope is that we will see these kids back each other up and enjoy playing together. Yes, I know we’ll have ups and downs, as all teams do, but if they can play together with the kind of heart they displayed in the tournament last year, I have high hopes.

We have THAT TEAM.

Legit concern, IMO. JB's best teams are the ones that fit together well and have guys playing in the spots that suit them the best. The title team had GMac off-ball (a luxury he rarely had the next three years) the bulk of the time, Melo able to go inside-out at the 3 instead of being forced into exclusively playing the 4 and Pace and duany being able to chip in as needed in bench roles. Even two years ago, once Battle got going at the 2, White settled in at the 3 and we used Lydon to play a kind of odd, but effective stretch 5 type role was much better than when we were trying to squeeze White in at the 2 and make lydon a wing.

The point being, it seems logical to at least question if Hughes, who is a bit short for the ideal player at the three, can quite handle what we need him to handle in that role.

One of our best “small forwards” EVER was Stevie Thompson, who was about 6’2” in real life.

Paul Harris is like 6’3” in real life.

Mali helped lead us to a Final Four at the 3, and was a little skinnier than Hughes is, at about the same height.

Wes Johnson - enough said. 1 whole inch taller than Hughes.

CJ & KrisJo - both basically 1 inch taller than Hughes.

Silent G - pretty much same height as Hughes.

I seriously doubt that Hughes’ height (or theoretical lack thereof) will impede his play at the 3 for us.

I guess I see things differently. Will we see that kind of improvement in team offense? One person's hunch is as good as another's hunch at this point. Except those, of course, whose hunches are based on watching these guys practice every day...…..

…...

So I give myself permission to be that optimistic about this year's team, even though it is based only on grapevine reports. Unknown unknowns---like injuries---could dash those hopes, but unless and until those kinds of disasters happen, I'm firmly in the camp of those who expect to see Syracuse in the Top Ten most of the year, slugging it out with Duke/Virginia/N. Carolina for domination of the ACC...

Sure, plenty or reason to project top 20, maybe top 15. We all know we have everyone back, all 5 should be improved, and we add in 3 contributors in Sidibe (now healthy), Hughes and Carey. Maybe 4 with Buddy. An 8 or 9 man rotation -- much better than 2017-18. Still, there are a few questions that likely won't be answered until November, even with glowing reports from the summer and from portions of early practices.

Examples: can Hughes defend and rebound, playing forward? (He averaged fewer than 2 rebound/game as a frosh, but was he playing the back of a zone?) Carey is great by all reports in transition -- but what does he contribute in half court? Does Dolezaj now have a real jump shot or only the little push shot we saw last season? When Chukwu and Sidibe compete inside, does Chukwu typically win (as tomcat saw, in limited action), and is that because Chukwu has made strides in the off-season?

This is a desire to know more, sooner, not an indication of doubt that this team might be very special.

Sure, plenty or reason to project top 20, maybe top 15. We all know we have everyone back, all 5 should be improved, and we add in 3 contributors in Sidibe (now healthy), Hughes and Carey. Maybe 4 with Buddy. An 8 or 9 man rotation -- much better than 2017-18. Still, there are a few questions that likely won't be answered until November, even with glowing reports from the summer and from portions of early practices.

Examples: can Hughes defend and rebound, playing forward? (He averaged fewer than 2 rebound/game as a frosh, but was he playing the back of a zone?) Carey is great by all reports in transition -- but what does he contribute in half court? Does Dolezaj now have a real jump shot or only the little push shot we saw last season? When Chukwu and Sidibe compete inside, does Chukwu typically win (as tomcat saw, in limited action), and is that because Chukwu has made strides in the off-season?

This is a desire to know more, sooner, not an indication of doubt that this team might be very special.

I don't think Hughes will be the liability some suggest. He's 6-6 210 pounds. That's not appreciably different from Kris Joseph's size. Would I prefer that he's 6-8? Certainly -- but if he can rebound adequately we'll be a'ight with him playing the back line.

I don't think Hughes will be the liability some suggest. He's 6-6 210 pounds. That's not appreciably different from Kris Joseph's size. Would I prefer that he's 6-8? Certainly -- but if he can rebound adequately we'll be a'ight with him playing the back line.

Plenty of good rebounders at 6-6, and others (White on our 2016-17 team) at best average. My point above is that we haven't seen it yet, he wasn't a prolific rebounder at ECU as a true frosh, and the practice reports have not given us much of a description of his game on the boards. You are guessing with "think" and "if he can".

Plenty of good rebounders at 6-6, and others (White on our 2016-17 team) at best average. My point above is that we haven't seen it yet, he wasn't a prolific rebounder at ECU as a true frosh, and the practice reports have not given us much of a description of his game on the boards. You are guessing with "think" and "if he can".

I don't think I "guessed" anything? For perspective, I pointed out that we've had players roughly that same size who haven't been disadvantaged liabilities playing back there. We've also had guys around that size who haven't been as good.

Time will tell.

He wasn't a prolific shooter at ECU, either, but JB has repeatedly praised how good of a shooter he is. Probably doesn't make sense to put much stock in freshman years as indicators of future performance.

I don't think I "guessed" anything? For perspective, I pointed out that we've had players roughly that same size who haven't been disadvantaged liabilities playing back there. We've also had guys around that size who haven't been as good.

Time will tell.

He wasn't a prolific shooter at ECU, either, but JB has repeatedly praised how good of a shooter he is. Probably doesn't make sense to put much stock in freshman years as indicators of future performance.
Agree on most -- the point is that time (and more actual observations) will tell. JB has praised Hughes for shooting, others have reported on how he competes with Battle, but we are discussing rebounding and defending the back of the zone. You think he will be good - it is the same as guessing.

Agree on most -- the point is that time (and more actual observations) will tell. JB has praised Hughes for shooting, others have reported on how he competes with Battle, but we are discussing rebounding and defending the back of the zone. You think he will be good - it is the same as guessing.

I didn't say that he would be "good" -- that's you reading into my comment.

And I'm not guessing -- I've watched this kid practice.

Whether he is "good" or not is something that will become clearer soon. But he isn't an automatic liability playing the back line because he's 6-6 instead of 6-9.

Last edited:
That's great news if true. The best version of this team involves having Carey taking over some of the ball handling duties. If he does play major minutes, its going to mean that he's really good.
He is very good. One recruiting analyst (can’t remember who) was asked who could be this year’s Trae Young, a slightly underrated recruit outside the top 10 or 20 who people won’t be talking about in the preseason but could be talking about once the season starts, and he named Jalen Carey. He stressed that Carey isn’t Young and wouldn’t have the same outsized statistical and game impact, but will be a kid who will make noise that people aren't expecting. I think it may take him some time to adjust but he’s good enough to play regular rotation minutes and be a 6th or 7th man.

Is the Melo Center open to the public? Can anybody just walk in and watch the team practice?

One of our best “small forwards” EVER was Stevie Thompson, who was about 6’2” in real life.

Mali helped lead us to a Final Four at the 3, and was a little skinnier than Hughes is, at about the same height.

I seriously doubt that Hughes’ height (or theoretical lack thereof) will impede his play at the 3 for us.

Respectfully disagree here (though who knows what to expect in the small-ball era). But historically, at least since Boeheim's gone all-zone, it's been the smaller and less experienced wings who've gotten abused. I'm thinking Rautins, Richardson, Gbinije, Andrew White. Paul Harris is the one great counter-example, but that's why he was such a special player - actually 6'3" but with I think a 6'11" wingspan and off-the-charts athleticism and instincts (don't laugh).

Stevie Thompson didn't play zone in the modern era,
Richardson was a subpar defender on a bad team (that had a strong four-game run) who never would've played the 3 on a team with a full roster,
Wes did everything well except defend, and his athleticism overcame a general instinctive deficit (so many weakside blocks after getting beat baseline, so many strong rebounds out of position),
I think Fair was listed at 6'8",
Joseph wasn't one of our better defensive forwards, but I think he still had some size on Hughes,
Gbinije wasn't Gbinije until he was moved to guard, when he was a 3 he was just the confused kid who lost his shoe.

If Hughes is a good defender (and rebounder) on the back line, it'll be in spite of his height and lack of game experience.

Last edited:
I for one think Marek finds more minutes than most are expecting - not sure any player improved more over the course of the year and the O got much better when his comfort level went up. He brings a facilitator mind set that we didn't have a lot of last year.

I for one think Marek finds more minutes than most are expecting - not sure any player improved more over the course of the year and the O got much better when his comfort level went up. He brings a facilitator mind set that we didn't have a lot of last year.
Marek 4 Prez

We'll see a lot of

Frank (Carey)
TB
EJ
OB
Marek

lineup this year

Villanova says "what you talking about, height? Playing big's about heart."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom