Practice Report | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Practice Report

"strokes the piss out of the ball" lol

Thanks for the report. So glad Syracuse basketball is back.

Can't wait to see sophomore Frank! Just LOVE his skill-set. Players with that kind of vision, passing talent, and slick ball handling don't come around all the time. Happy to hear he worked hard this summer.

Should be in for a special year with a full and talented roster. Gotta get Jimmy his second ring so he can wear it right on his middle finger.
Frank really understands the PnR. Which is vital for a PG in this offense. I just wish we would add some more spread PnR sets to our offense rather than the 3-out-2 in PnR when we have Roberson in. I just do not see Lydon as a 3 offensively in this offense and that's why i am skeptical with that starting lineup. I absolutely could see Lydon playing the 4 and setting ball screens for the pick and pop. I would like to see us run a 4-out with Chukwu setting tons of slot ball screens and rolling hard to the rim with a shooter rotating and filling(replacing) behind the ball screen (White or Lydon). I think Battle and Howard could be terrors out of the PnR

I was able to attend a Cuse practice and figured I'd give the posters on here a little breakdown of what I observed, because if you're like me, you are dying for the season to get underway. Take everything I say with a grain of salt because a) I am basing my observations off of an extremely small sample size (one practice) and b) there was a lot going on for just one set of eyes to catch everything. Anways, here goes:

Position breakdowns: As far as scholarship players go for skill work, the guards consisted of Frank Howard, Tyus Battle, Andrew White, and John Gillon; the forwards Tyler Lydon, Tyler Roberson, Matthew Moyer, and Centers Dajuan Coleman, Pascal Chukwu, and Taureen Thompson. Nothing earth shattering here, although it was interesting to note that Andrew White worked exclusively with the guards on offensive skills, but did work at both the top and bottom of the zone when working on defensive rotations.

Individual Breakdowns:
Frank Howard- I came away most impressed with this young man after watching practice. There is no wonder why Rothstein is calling him a breakout candidate for this season. Frank looks so much more confident than he was at any point last year, and he is in complete control of the team. He was vocal getting guys in the right places on offense and defense, and physically looks to be in unbelievable shape (and explosive, looks to be completely over the ACL surgery from a few years ago). I was happy to see that he looks to be much improved from distance (as has been reported), even drilling a deep, contested, but in rhythm three off the dribble during five on five. I thought his problem last year was that he didn't fully extend his shooting elbow on his jump shots. I still saw that a few times on his misses, but when he fully extends his elbow his stroke looks pure! I've gotta believe he starts at the point from day one.

Tyler Lydon- funny how the two Sophomores were the most impressive from what I saw. Lydon absolutely has an NBA ready skill: he strokes the piss out of the ball. His shot is so silky smooth, even his misses are a thing of beauty! It looks like he is getting his shot off much quicker this year as well. He looked comfortable handling the ball in drills, although he still plays a little high when going off the dribble (kind of hard not to when you are 6'9). Unfortunately I didn't see him really put the ball on the floor and attack in 5 on 5...never really had to because he was just simply raining trifectas. Like Frank, Tyler seemed to take on a vocal role, helping out the freshman quite a bit especially on their defensive assignments. He has definitely bulked up, so much so that I don't think he'll look out of place physically if he has to defend in the middle of the zone again this year.

Andrew White- this guy is all business. He should show up to practice and games in a suit and tie and a briefcase. Never cracks a smile, but was vocal on defense and works hard in all the drills and 5 on 5. The thing that stood out to me (again, small sample size) is that when he can just simply catch and shoot...wow! He is lethal and doesn't need much time or space to get his 3pt shot off. However, when he has to put it on the floor he seemed uncomfortable. He isn't real fluid and doesn't seem to want to attack the hoop, rather pull up for jumpers off one or two dribbles. Defensively, I was reminded of the NFL draft analysts that talk about whether or not a DB has "fluid hips" that allow change directions quickly. White seems to lack this ability on defense, and was easily beaten off the dribble when they were working on their full court press. However, this didn't seem to be as much of an issue in the half court, and I think he'll do just fine no matter if he's on the top or bottom of the zone. Regardless, he is gonna be a major factor in spacing the floor on offense this year.

Tyler Roberson- if he is going to take that senior leap we are all hoping he takes this year, he didn't show any signs of it in this practice. I saw the same Tyler we've seen the last two years. Not real assertive, gave up a several offensive rebounds in his area which caused JB to shake his head in disgust, and his jumper still has the same hitch just before his release causing it to be flat and short more often than not. He did have a couple nice offensive moves in the low post late in practice. Unfortunately though, I don't see him making a huge leap in production this year. If he can just give us consistent energy and rebounding though, I think that will be enough with what is around him.

DC- Like Howard, he looked more comfortable and confident out on the court. He seemed to be more decisive when he caught the ball in the low post, and defensively I thought he was always in good position, and even had an impressive rejection. DC also showed off a mid range game on several occasions, and the coaching staff didn't seem to have a problem with him taking that shot. Looks to be in the best shape of his SU career.

Gillon- didn't really stand out in one way or another during the practice I saw. He is definitely quick and active on defense. Watching him shoot in drills, he has impressive range and good form, although he shoots a set shot and his release starts a little lower than you would like, especially for someone his size (he is not 6 ft tall). I think he will come off the bench as a sparkplug for this team, and is the perfect compliment to Howard because they are two different types of point guards. He seems to fit in real well with his teammates, and brings a ton of experience to an important position.

Battle- same as Gillon in that he didn't stand out all that much during 5 on 5 play. He didn't play poorly, just didn't really get the opportunity to showcase his skills (which sucks cuz now I will just have to wait until their first game to see them lol). However, he definitely looked dynamite during transition drills. He is super explosive!! His jump shot is going to be just fine as well...I dont think we'll see him put up a ton of makes from the 3pt this year, but he can stroke it when left open. He turns his non shooting hand some when he shoots the ball, which may cause for some inconsistency...I imagine the coaching staff will iron that out in due time.

Chukwu- as advertised. Freakishly long, surprisingly mobile. Not going to put up big offensive numbers but can get putbacks just by standing near the basket. Watching him dunk lobs was entertaining...his hands are so far above the rim when he catches the ball its ridiculous. I'm interested to see him in live games to get a better read on his abilities defensively.

Thompson- good looking shot from mid range (he hit several of these shots during practice), and seems to have good court awareness and feel. He's active on the boards and on D, but he is definitely raw and made some typical freshman mistakes especially on zone rotations. Can't see him seeing much if any time during ACC play.

Moyer- I would imagine the foot injury and not being able to do contact drills has put him behind the eight ball, because he was lost playing the wing of the zone. Autry was all over him, as was JB. He's all arms and legs, and is really the only scholarship player that doesn't have an ACC ready body. I was impressed with his shot however, and he looked very comfortable playing the wing on offense and shooting from distance. He form has smoothed out and his release has gotten quicker. No doubt before its all said and done Moyer is going to be a great player and an all time fan favorite...just dont see it happening just yet this year.

Overall observations: Tons of talent. Legit two deep at every position, although they will likely play 8 once league play comes around. Shooting the ball will not be a problem. Incredibly long, but the zone will take a while to become a terror because so many new players need to learn the rotations. Hopkins, Gmac, and Autry really get after the players and make things really competitive. JB is so laid back during practice, such a difference from the persona we see during games. They worked on their full court press for a decent amount of time...it will be interesting to see if it becomes a weapon this year. Going to run a lot of the same offensive sets as the last few years, ie ball screens, pin downs, etc. I know the starting five has been a hot topic of debate, but after seeing practice I'll be shocked if it isn't Howard, White, Lydon, Roberson, Coleman.

Terrific stuff!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

I think there is some real misunderstanding of Roberson. He was the difference between a garbage season and a Final Four. If he doesn't play much we will not have a great chance at a repeat. The guy is an absolute game changer when he is in beast mode. Difference maker.

I agree. And when he's not, he needs to grab some bench, as Hawk Harrelson would say. Roberson is hugely important. I hope he realizes what he's capable of and brings it.

Frank really understands the PnR. Which is vital for a PG in this offense. I just wish we would add some more spread PnR sets to our offense rather than the 3-out-2 in PnR when we have Roberson in. I just do not see Lydon as a 3 offensively in this offense and that's why i am skeptical with that starting lineup. I absolutely could see Lydon playing the 4 and setting ball screens for the pick and pop. I would like to see us run a 4-out with Chukwu setting tons of slot ball screens and rolling hard to the rim with a shooter rotating and filling(replacing) behind the ball screen (White or Lydon). I think Battle and Howard could be terrors out of the PnR

The opposing small forward has no chance guarding Lydon IMO. His height advantage/high release is going to allow him to shoot over anyone.

I agree. And when he's not, he needs to grab some bench, as Hawk Harrelson would say. Roberson is hugely important. I hope he realizes what he's capable of and brings it.

But that is my point. If he is not in beast mode and is on the bench, or is on the bench for other reasons, our chances for success decrease. I can't imagine a more impactful player that we could put in that spot. Remember the entire difference between losing turrible games last year and being worldbeaters was Roberson being on or off.

But that is my point. If he is not in beast mode and is on the bench, or is on the bench for other reasons, our chances for success decrease. I can't imagine a more impactful player that we could put in that spot. Remember the entire difference between losing turrible games last year and being worldbeaters was Roberson being on or off.

Last year yes, this year . . . If he's not in beastvmode we go White Lydon at the forwards with 2 of Battle, Gillon, Howard at the guards and either Coleman or Chukwu. We are fine rebounding so Roberson needs to beast mode all the time this year.

I like Roberson but this team has plenty of answers up front if he's not in beast mode.

HoustonCuse said:

Agree. Roberson may be the most important player on the team. He's the only natural rebounding beast we have. If we are going to be as successful as we'd like, he has to play and play well (on the boards). And it's hard to run if it's tall guards getting rebounds we are counting on.

Agree. Roberson may be the most important player on the team. He's the only natural rebounding beast we have. If we are going to be as successful as we'd like, he has to play and play well (on the boards). And it's hard to run if it's tall guards getting rebounds we are counting on.

He's more important than Tyler Lydon? Not even close. I mean, your post has to be intended to stir the pot. In fact, I'd probably list Roberson as maybe the 4th or 5th most important player. Roberson only plays one position. Only does one thing well. Granted his rebounding skills are extremely important.

And your last sentence makes no sense. Why are we relying on guards to get rebounds? Last time I checked, we have our deepest front court in years. We also have other great rebounders, including Lydon, Coleman and White. Heck, even Thompson and Moyer, though they will not probably not play much, even though they are capable. I will add that tall guard Tyus Battle is a very good rebounder, though we won't be relying on that, since we have those other guys, and, yes, Roberson.

I'd hate to rank our players in terms of importance because everyone is important, but Roberson is far from indispensable. His rebounding is a huge plus for us and he's among the best in the nation, especially when he's giving max effort.

"If I had anyone else, (Roberson) wouldn't have played one minute tonight." (paraphrasing James Arthur Boeheim)

iommi said:
He's more important than Tyler Lydon? Not even close. I mean, your post has to be intended to stir the pot. In fact, I'd probably list Roberson as maybe the 4th or 5th most important player. Roberson only plays one position. Only does one thing well. Granted his rebounding skills are extremely important. And your last sentence makes no sense. Why are we relying on guards to get rebounds? Last time I checked, we have our deepest front court in years. We also have other great rebounders, including Lydon, Coleman and White. Heck, even Thompson and Moyer, though they will not probably not play much, even though they are capable. I will add that tall guard Tyus Battle is a very good rebounder, though we won't be relying on that, since we have those other guys, and, yes, Roberson. I'd hate to rank our players in terms of importance because everyone is important, but Roberson is far from indispensable. His rebounding is a huge plus for us and he's among the best in the nation, especially when he's giving max effort. "If I had anyone else, (Roberson) wouldn't have played one minute tonight." (paraphrasing James Arthur Boeheim)

You mistake the word best for important. If we are going to be f4 material and/or expect to run, we need Roberson to be the beast rebounder he can be. Simple as that. Nobody on the team is the rebounder he is. That also doesn't mean other players can't rebound. And I mentioned the guards because I've heard people say how good they'll be as rebounders. Not the same if your going to run.

He's more important than Tyler Lydon? Not even close. I mean, your post has to be intended to stir the pot. In fact, I'd probably list Roberson as maybe the 4th or 5th most important player. Roberson only plays one position. Only does one thing well. Granted his rebounding skills are extremely important.

And your last sentence makes no sense. Why are we relying on guards to get rebounds? Last time I checked, we have our deepest front court in years. We also have other great rebounders, including Lydon, Coleman and White. Heck, even Thompson and Moyer, though they will not probably not play much, even though they are capable. I will add that tall guard Tyus Battle is a very good rebounder, though we won't be relying on that, since we have those other guys, and, yes, Roberson.

I'd hate to rank our players in terms of importance because everyone is important, but Roberson is far from indispensable. His rebounding is a huge plus for us and he's among the best in the nation, especially when he's giving max effort.

"If I had anyone else, (Roberson) wouldn't have played one minute tonight." (paraphrasing James Arthur Boeheim)

My perspective is that Roberson, when on, is better at rebounding than any of our other players are at anything. If that makes sense. In his beast games, I am sure he is the best rebounder in America and it supercharges everything else going on for our team.

You mistake the word best for important. If we are going to be f4 material and/or expect to run, we need Roberson to be the beast rebounder he can be. Simple as that. Nobody on the team is the rebounder he is. That also doesn't mean other players can't rebound. And I mentioned the guards because I've heard people say how good they'll be as rebounders. Not the same if your going to run.

I didn't mistake anything. I do get your perspective but I disagree as strongly as I can.

TR is our best rebounder. That doesn't make him our most important player. If he's on the bench or if he fouls out, other guys can pick up the slack. Guys who do several things well are always more important because they impact so many things.

The guards can rebound and we can still run. They don't have to be leaking out.

I didn't mistake anything. I do get your perspective but I disagree as strongly as I can.

TR is our best rebounder. That doesn't make him our most important player. If he's on the bench or if he fouls out, other guys can pick up the slack. Guys who do several things well are always more important because they impact so many things.

The guards can rebound and we can still run. They don't have to be leaking out.
100% agree with you on this. There's going to be critical moments in the last 5 minutes of games where Roberson is on the bench. That's not what happens to the most important player. I don't see any critical moments where Lydon is on the bench.

EastCoast2 said:
100% agree with you on this. There's going to be critical moments in the last 5 minutes of games where Roberson is on the bench. That's not what happens to the most important player. I don't see any critical moments where Lydon is on the bench.

You guys don't follow so I'll leave it after this. Roberson is the only potential glass cleaner on the team. A real glass cleaner. The difference between being a top 10-15 team and being a top 5 team being in the conversation all year as a NC contender will be his ability to bring it every game. He'll be in the game late if he's rebounding. A consistent Roberson can be a difference maker.

You may want to rewatch the run to the Final Four. Key baskets would not have been made by star players without Robey's keeping the ball alive on the offensive glass. See G's layup to take the lead vs. Gonzaga. See Malachi's layup to take the lead vs. UVA. Without the springs in Roberson's legs late in games, we're not talking about a Final Four team. Whether that makes him MIP or not, I don't know, but he was definitely key in the late minutes of important wins.

You may want to rewatch the run to the Final Four. Key baskets would not have been made by star players without Robey's keeping the ball alive on the offensive glass. See G's layup to take the lead vs. Gonzaga. See Malachi's layup to take the lead vs. UVA. Without the springs in Roberson's legs late in games, we're not talking about a Final Four team. Whether that makes him MIP or not, I don't know, but he was definitely key in the late minutes of important wins.
I'm not saying he's not important. We're going to have 6, 7, or 8 very important guys this year. When he plays like he did against Dayton, we might be unbeatable. I hope he plays like that in most games. Problem is, he's too inconsistent, and that's one reason he's not the MIP on this team.

You guys don't follow so I'll leave it after this. Roberson is the only potential glass cleaner on the team. A real glass cleaner. The difference between being a top 10-15 team and being a top 5 team being in the conversation all year as a NC contender will be his ability to bring it every game. He'll be in the game late if he's rebounding. A consistent Roberson can be a difference maker.
I 100% agree with you on this. Without Roberson, we're a top 25, maybe top 15 team. With Roberson playing like he did vs. Dayton, we're a top 4 team, title contender. But the same thing can be said about Lydon. Without him we are fringe top 20 IMO.

EastCoast2 said:
I 100% agree with you on this. Without Roberson, we're a top 25, maybe top 15 team. With Roberson playing like he did vs. Dayton, we're a top 4 team, title contender. But the same thing can be said about Lydon. Without him we are fringe top 20 IMO.

I am confident in what Lydon can and will do.

I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying, but one could argue that Lydon playing the four, instead of playing an undersized five last year, could have been as effective on the boards as TR. Lydon actually had a few more defensive rebounds than TR (167-163), but TR had a ton more offensive boards (150-66). As long as TR is in beast mode, he is going to play. JAB will find the minutes for both of them and we know Lydon will definitely be in the game down the stretch.

I'm not saying he's not important. We're going to have 6, 7, or 8 very important guys this year. When he plays like he did against Dayton, we might be unbeatable. I hope he plays like that in most games. Problem is, he's too inconsistent, and that's one reason he's not the MIP on this team.

THIS.

THIS.

The funny thing about TR is that he plays better in high profile games like Duke. So in many ways, his importance is relative. He's pretty important for winning big games and that in itself is important.

Roberson needs to play every game like it's his last. When he does he is a huge game changer. He will do that . . . . Some times. This year he will sit when he isn't playing that way. He's still going to log 28-32 min a game and be an important player, just no where near our most important player IMO.

I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying, but one could argue that Lydon playing the four, instead of playing an undersized five last year, could have been as effective on the boards as TR. Lydon actually had a few more defensive rebounds than TR (167-163), but TR had a ton more offensive boards (150-66). As long as TR is in beast mode, he is going to play. JAB will find the minutes for both of them and we know Lydon will definitely be in the game down the stretch.

Roberson is the best offensive rebounder on the team, but I think you're on to something. He's not the best defensive rebounder for whatever reason.

Not sure offensive rebounds will be as important this year. Last year our 2nd and 3rd offensive options were high volume three point shooters. This year we have more efficient offensive weapons.

I see exactly what you are saying and agree. Roberson created many second chance opportunities to score with getting offensive rebounds or keeping plays alive. Every good team has an energy guy. his motor needs to be consistent. Good post

I see exactly what you are saying and agree. Roberson created many second chance opportunities to score with getting offensive rebounds or keeping plays alive. Every good team has an energy guy. his motor needs to be consistent. Good post

He shouldn't even practice his jump-shot. He should just practice rebounding and shooting from 5 feet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom