Praise from a Hokie | Syracusefan.com

Praise from a Hokie

Hokies

Walk On
I have never created an account on an opponent's site after a loss to give praise, but I lurked over here during game week and y'all might have the most level-headed fan base I have ever come across - such a rarity and I wanted to give y'all kudos for that. Leading up to the game I saw a lot of realistic predictions from you guys - that this game might get ugly. Likewise I was very cocky going into the game since leading up to Saturday, the Hokies had looked pretty good on both sides of the ball.

Well, we all know what happened and Syracuse deserves all of the credit in the world. You guys brought your best effort and out-performed on both sides of the ball. Tech was out coached as well. Dino seemed a step ahead of Bud Foster the whole game and our offense had issues moving the ball - usually ending up with a 3rd and long on most drives. I would say this was a trap game and the team was too focused on a big match-up with Miami on Thursday, but Fuente is big on preaching to the kids that the team needs to go 1-0 every week. This team just got out played and out coached. This is a big win for Babers and looks as though he is a good hire for SU.

Good luck the rest of that way. You guys should get to 6 wins and a bowl bid. Hopefully this was a wake up call for the Hokies...as we limp into the Miami game.

Last edited:
I have never created an account on an opponent's site after a loss to give praise, but I lurked over here during game week and y'all might have the most level-headed fan base I have ever come across - such a rarity and I wanted to give y'all kudos for that. Leading up to the game I saw a lot of realistic predictions from you guys - that this game might get ugly. I was very cocky going into the game since leading up to Saturday, the Hokies had looked pretty good on both sides of the ball over the past three games.

Well, we all know what happened and Syracuse deserves all of the credit in the world. You guys brought your best effort and out-performed on both sides of the ball. Tech was out coached as well. Dino seemed a step ahead of Bud Foster the whole game and our offense had issues moving the ball - usually ending up with a 3rd and long on most drives. I would say this was a trap game and the team was too focused on a big match-up with Miami on Thursday, but Fuente is big on preaching to the kids that the team needs to go 1-0 every week. This team just got out played and out coached. This is a big win for Babers and looks as though he is a good hire for SU.

Good luck the rest of that way. You guys should get to 6 wins and a bowl bid. Hopefully this was a wake up call for the Hokies.

Super-classy.

Since we won't be playing you again for like 12 years - good luck with Fuente. Seems like a good coach and a good match with Foster. Hope you guys romp Miami.

I know a few VTech grads, and as a rule, they seem to be classy, intelligent, and reasonable fan base.

I hope we see you guys in an ACC Championship game before we come visit you in Blacksburg in 20-God Knows When.

I know a few VTech grads, and as a rule, they seem to be classy, intelligent, and reasonable fan base.

I hope we see you guys in an ACC Championship game before we come visit you in Blacksburg in 20-God Knows When.

I know, right? I was hoping the ADs would approve the 9+1 format, but it is what it is. I hate playing BC every year as our cross division 'rival'.

:fistbump

Respect. That's a classy post.

This scheduling format sucks. Sucks for you guys to have BC (although, it's great to pencil in the win every year), and we have enough history that we should play FAR more often than the schedule allows. Good luck the rest of the way, beat the living hell out of Miami!

Classy post. You guys had an impressive contingent of Hokies fans in the stands on Saturday and having a good time in Armory Square on Friday night. Everyone I saw was well behaved and just strongly repping your team, the way it should be. Good luck the rest of the way!

I know, right? I was hoping the ADs would approve the 9+1 format, but it is what it is. I hate playing BC every year as our cross division 'rival'.

I'd love it if we played the Hokies as our cross-division rival and let BC play Pitt. :)

Or better yet, switch Pitt to the Atlantic and us to the Coastal, have Louisville your cross-division rival and let BC play Virginia.

Cheers,
Neil

I was accepted to Virgina Poly and State U, i took a visit, i didnt like it, I went to SU. True Story

I have never created an account on an opponent's site after a loss to give praise, but I lurked over here during game week and y'all might have the most level-headed fan base I have ever come across - such a rarity and I wanted to give y'all kudos for that. Leading up to the game I saw a lot of realistic predictions from you guys - that this game might get ugly. Likewise I was very cocky going into the game since leading up to Saturday, the Hokies had looked pretty good on both sides of the ball.

Good luck the rest of that way. You guys should get to 6 wins and a bowl bid. Hopefully this was a wake up call for the Hokies...as the limp into the Miami game.

You represent VATech well. Thank you for the compliments of this board, our Mods/Staff do a great job keeping us in line but giving people freedom to speak freely, a tough job to say the least.

It's not often that Bud Foster doesn't respond well I have always respected his Defenses. I have been critical of the VATech offenses sans a Vick, but defense was never to be taken lightly. He made some great adjustments to begin the 2nd half, as did your Offense.

We are happy with Dino Babers. It looks like you should be happy with Fuente, also.

It was quipped by a few about how Beamer's retirement conveniently coincided with VaTech having to return to the dome the next year. That said, I would gladly trade sPitt for the Hokes.

I was accepted to Virgina Poly and State U, i took a visit, i didnt like it, I went to SU. True Story
Same here, sort of. Tech ended up being a close second to SU.

Keep in mind, at that time also, SU was way better in all sports.

Same here, sort of. Tech ended up being a close second to SU.

Keep in mind, at that time also, SU was way better in all sports.

Virginia Poly Engineering > SU Engineering tho

Whats funny is that you never really hear about VaTech being at the forefront in the tech world anymore on the east coast, unlike MIT and Carnegie Mellon etc. In the late 90's Vatech was legit engineering school. I wonder what has happened.

Good luck the rest of that way. You guys should get to 6 wins and a bowl bid. Hopefully this was a wake up call for the Hokies...as we limp into the Miami game.
It's going to be a great game against you guys in next years ACC championship game.;)
I actually wish we played you guys as our annual cross over game every year. So many classic games with Va Tech over the years. Pitt just doesn't give me the same fond memories as our match ups with you guys. No matter the records, it always seems like a competitive game...minus the 51-7 beatdown in 2003:(

It was quipped by a few about how Beamer's retirement conveniently coincided with VaTech having to return to the dome the next year. That said, I would gladly trade sPitt for the Hokes.

There is probably no human being on Earth that has a better impression of the Dome than Frank Beamer. Here are the crowds for his games there...

1992: 49,196
1994: 47,635
1996: 49,069
1998: 49,336
2000: 49,033
2002: 48,239

If he attended on Saturday he would probably think "what is going on? Did they announce an incorrect kickoff time to the fans?"

:fistbump

Respect. That's a classy post.

This scheduling format sucks. Sucks for you guys to have BC (although, it's great to pencil in the win every year), and we have enough history that we should play FAR more often than the schedule allows. Good luck the rest of the way, beat the living hell out of Miami!

Muck Fiami.

Reactions: FAL
y'all might have the most level-headed fan base I have ever come across -

Thanks for the compliments; however, this assessment made me question your power of discernment and undercut everything else you wrote.

The Syracuse University - Va Tech rivalry was a truly great one - one that all of miss a lot.

Hopefully somehow it can be reinstituted on a yearly basis.

Good luck the rest of the way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom