Pre 1970 Comedy Movies | Syracusefan.com

Pre 1970 Comedy Movies

bt4421

Walk On
for the geezers like myself, list your favorites. And hey, maybe some younger ones can benefit by finding some good watches.

I have two. Both highly recommended.

1. The Great Race. Love the good guy bad guy old school format. Great cast.

2. Its a mad mad mad world. I don't know if there's ever been another movie with as many stars in it as this one.

Late 60's-first three I thought of. All classics.

1) The Graduate
2) The Odd Couple
3) Barefoot in the Park.

I would consider a Woody Allen movie also. Not sure what was pre-1970. I acquired a taste for his stuff. I know not everyone has. Also The Pink Panther with Peter Sellers and pretty much any Cary Grant movie that would be considered a comedy, but especially Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer and Father Goose, although both are entertaining but neither one I would consider sophisticated humor. But that's a lot of Cary Grant.

Also the original The Front Page. Goes way back but it's actually on my extended list of channel stopping movies.

1681655058702.jpeg

The Hope and Crosby Road pictures.

Abbott and Costello.
These are awesome. Watched them all with our kids who are now 30 plus. Our youngest especially is big fan of the older movies.

Yup. Also….

Martin and Lewis.

Marx Brothers.

Bringing Up Baby.

The Producers.

Danny Kaye had some funny ones.
All excellent choices. Love these movies. Inspector general.
Yup. Also….

Martin and Lewis.

Marx Brothers.

Bringing Up Baby.

The Producers.

Danny Kaye had some funny ones.
All great choices. Danny Kaye court jester and inspector General definitely. Marx brothers were awesome.

Bringing Up Baby — Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant and a leopard. Madcap hijinx and slapstick.

The Philadelphia Story — Romantic comedy. Same actors. No leopard, but add James Stewart. Later remade as a musical with Grace Kelly and Sinatra, which I rejected for a lonnnng time because I don’t like Sinatra and didn’t want to ‘betray’ my love of the original. But it’s Grace Kelly. Also good.

Barefoot in the Park

How to Murder Your Wife
— Jack Lemmon and the insanely beautiful Virna Lisi

Ooh, i forgot:
Topper — Cary Grant and Constance Bennett, and
My Favorite Wife — Cary Grant and Irene Dunne

Cary Grant and anybody is my happy place.

i know i'm now senior mucho ban but not sure why a couple movie titles from the sixties (1966) would have got deleted. seems harmless. i'll try again

KING OF HEARTS.
THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING.

i think the final scene in the russians are coming brings home the fact that we're more alike than different.

Last edited:
i know i'm now senior mucho ban but not sure why a couple movie titles from the sixties (1966) would have got deleted. seems harmless. i'll try again
KING OF HEARTS.
THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING.
Yes! King of Hearts is one of my all-time favorite movies! Yet, I forgot about it!