Pre-Spring Depth Chart | Syracusefan.com

Pre-Spring Depth Chart

orangenirvana

Hall of Fame
I guess I'm not quite ready for full basketball mode. I enjoyed the football season way too much, so I'm still thinking about the football team for a few more days at least.

So here's my stab at how the depth chart is looking like going into the spring (incoming summer recruits not included).

Spring non-participants in red...

QB - Charley Loeb, Sr.
John Kinder, Jr. / Terrel Hunt, So.

RB - *Jerome Smith, Jr.
Tyson Gulley, TSr. / Adonis Moore, TJr. / George Morris, Fr. / Steve Rene, Jr. / Miles Davis, Fr.

WR - *Jarrod West, Jr.
Jeremiah Kobena, TJr. / Chris Clark, TSr. / Keenan Hale, So.

WR - Quinta Funderburk, So.
Adrian Flemming, TSr. / Kyle Foster, So. / Ben Lewis, Fr.

TE - Ashton Broyld, TSo.
Josh Parris, Fr. / Max Beulieux, Jr.

TE - *Beckett Wales, TSr.
Ron Thompson, Fr. / Ben Barrett, Fr.

LT - Andy Phillips, Sr.
Kyle Knapp, Fr. / Jonathan Burton, TFr.

LG - Ivan Foy, So.
Omari Palmer, Fr.

C - *Macky MacPherson, TSr.
Jason Emerich, Fr.

RG - *Rob Trudo, So.
John Miller, Jr.

RT - *Sean Hickey, Jr.
Nick Robinson, So.

RE - *Marcus Brewster, TSr.
Donnie Simmons, So. / Rob Welsh, Jr.

NT - Eric Crume, TJr.
Ryan Sloan, So. / Zian Jones, TSr. / Marcus Coleman, Fr.

DT - *Jay Bromley, TSr.
John Raymon, So. / Davon Walls, TSr.

LE - Micah Robinson, Jr.
Josh Manley, TSo.

WLB - *Dyshawn Davis, TJr.
Lewellyn Coker, TSr. / Josh Kirkland, TJr.

MLB - *Marquis Spruill, TSr.
James Washington, Fr. / Luke Arciniega, Jr.

SLB - Cam Lynch, TJr.
Oliver Vigille, So.

CB - *Brandon Reddish, TJr.
*Rishard Anderson, Sr. / Jaston George, So.

CB - Keon Lyn, TSr.
Julian Whigham, TSo. / Alvin Cornelius, Fr.

FS - *Jeremi Wilkes, TSr.
Durell Eskridge, So.

SS - Ritchy Desir, TJr.
Wayne Morgan, TSo. / DeVante McFarlane, Fr.

*returning starter

Really excited to see what this defense does to the opposition in the ACC next year. I'm expecting a leap from MPB and we'll have Machete on the other side if Robinson doesn't improve.

Me and you both, ON. Although it is tough to speculate on the offensive DC considering we aren't really sure what GMC will run as his base set. I am guessing we see more 3 WR 1 TE sets than 2 WR 2 TE.

RB - Morris over Adonis from the get go in spring.

WR - If healthy, I expect to see Foster #1 at Z with West in the slot and Funderburk at X.

TE - If Broyld plays there and RT is healthy, that is a scary group of athletes we'll have for awhile. Be nice to be able to redshirt both kids coming in.

OL - Phillips may be listed as a starter for the first practice out of respect for a veteran, but I expect Knapp to take over quickly. If Phillips wasn't better than Big Lou, he isn't a starting LT. Whichever G spot Trudo doesn't play will be a great battle to watch.

DL - Looking forward to seeing what MPB and Simmons look like in the spring. Even if Crume were healthy, I wouldn't be surprised to see Raymon be starting in front of him.

LB - I don't expect Spruill to play much Mike this spring. Davis is out and Arciniega sounds like a guy that needs to be starting. Maximize the reps he gets against the first team to try to accelerate his acclimation back to D1 football.

DB - Definitely going to look different once spring starts. Love the depth at CB but a starting tandem of Wilkes and Desir at S will be cause for a long first season in the ACC.

Undoubtedly going to be a number of position changes on both sides of the ball. Hopefully they actually open up some spring practice so TC and the guys can get eyes on what's going on. Can't wait for spring ball.

What's impressive is the experience and depth on both sides of the ball. Some quality there. Have had that in a while.

I agree with safety comments. I am hoping that either Kelly, Eskridge or Morgan can take a spot. Desir and Wilkes seem awful small as a unit.

Two thoughts:

I'll be surprised if our best offense is a two TE set.

I think MacFarlane sticks at running back. I think he's a difference maker there.

like most of the chart...morris with def be RB #3 next season, if not push for more touches in the McDonald's O. He did have a comment the other day he will tend to lean on the RBs more because of the experience. I also think Sugar Bear as long as he is healthy, starts at the TE slot.

Me and you both, ON. Although it is tough to speculate on the offensive DC considering we aren't really sure what GMC will run as his base set. I am guessing we see more 3 WR 1 TE sets than 2 WR 2 TE.

RB - Morris over Adonis from the get go in spring.

WR - If healthy, I expect to see Foster #1 at Z with West in the slot and Funderburk at X.

TE - If Broyld plays there and RT is healthy, that is a scary group of athletes we'll have for awhile. Be nice to be able to redshirt both kids coming in.

OL - Phillips may be listed as a starter for the first practice out of respect for a veteran, but I expect Knapp to take over quickly. If Phillips wasn't better than Big Lou, he isn't a starting LT. Whichever G spot Trudo doesn't play will be a great battle to watch.

DL - Looking forward to seeing what MPB and Simmons look like in the spring. Even if Crume were healthy, I wouldn't be surprised to see Raymon be starting in front of him.

LB - I don't expect Spruill to play much Mike this spring. Davis is out and Arciniega sounds like a guy that needs to be starting. Maximize the reps he gets against the first team to try to accelerate his acclimation back to D1 football.

DB - Definitely going to look different once spring starts. Love the depth at CB but a starting tandem of Wilkes and Desir at S will be cause for a long first season in the ACC.

Undoubtedly going to be a number of position changes on both sides of the ball. Hopefully they actually open up some spring practice so TC and the guys can get eyes on what's going on. Can't wait for spring ball.

I agree with you on just about all of this I think. I do however think Eskridge is the guy for the SS spot, played a lot of good minuets for the us last year. Also I'm interested on how the Robinson kid from Baldwinsville does this spring, could be a dark horse for the open tackle spot. And Miller I think will be in the discussion to start at a guard spot.

I just can't get the image out of my mind of Eskridge doing an "Ole" on the big Cincinnati tight end. If he's not a hitter, he probably doesn't belong at SS.

Spruill won't be playing MLB...I just hope he plays at all. Hopefully his legal troubles don't force him out.

I just can't get the image out of my mind of Eskridge doing an "Ole" on the big Cincinnati tight end. If he's not a hitter, he probably doesn't belong at SS.

Anomaly. Even hall of famers have What moments.

Eskridge or Morgan will start at SS and whichever doesn't will play the Okie.

I guess I'm not quite ready for full basketball mode. I enjoyed the football season way too much, so I'm still thinking about the football team for a few more days at least.

So here's my stab at how the depth chart is looking like going into the spring (incoming summer recruits not included).

Love the depth on the D line. That's going to be a bright spot on our D.
Spring non-participants in red...

QB - Charley Loeb, Sr.
John Kinder, Jr. / Terrel Hunt, So.

RB - *Jerome Smith, Jr.
Tyson Gulley, TSr. / Adonis Moore, TJr. / George Morris, Fr. / Steve Rene, Jr. / Miles Davis, Fr.

WR - *Jarrod West, Jr.
Jeremiah Kobena, TJr. / Chris Clark, TSr. / Keenan Hale, So.

WR - Quinta Funderburk, So.
Adrian Flemming, TSr. / Kyle Foster, So. / Ben Lewis, Fr.

TE - Ashton Broyld, TSo.
Josh Parris, Fr. / Max Beulieux, Jr.

TE - *Beckett Wales, TSr.
Ron Thompson, Fr. / Ben Barrett, Fr.

LT - Andy Phillips, Sr.
Kyle Knapp, Fr. / Jonathan Burton, TFr.

LG - Ivan Foy, So.
Omari Palmer, Fr.

C - *Macky MacPherson, TSr.
Jason Emerich, Fr.

RG - *Rob Trudo, So.
John Miller, Jr.

RT - *Sean Hickey, Jr.
Nick Robinson, So.

RE - *Marcus Brewster, TSr.
Donnie Simmons, So. / Rob Welsh, Jr.

NT - Eric Crume, TJr.
Ryan Sloan, So. / Zian Jones, TSr. / Marcus Coleman, Fr.

DT - *Jay Bromley, TSr.
John Raymon, So. / Davon Walls, TSr.

LE - Micah Robinson, Jr.
Josh Manley, TSo.

WLB - *Dyshawn Davis, TJr.
Lewellyn Coker, TSr. / Josh Kirkland, TJr.

MLB - *Marquis Spruill, TSr.
James Washington, Fr. / Luke Arciniega, Jr.

SLB - Cam Lynch, TJr.
Oliver Vigille, So.

CB - *Brandon Reddish, TJr.
*Rishard Anderson, Sr. / Jaston George, So.

CB - Keon Lyn, TSr.
Julian Whigham, TSo. / Alvin Cornelius, Fr.

FS - *Jeremi Wilkes, TSr.
Durell Eskridge, So.

SS - Ritchy Desir, TJr.
Wayne Morgan, TSo. / DeVante McFarlane, Fr.

*returning starter

Spruill won't be playing MLB...I just hope he plays at all. Hopefully his legal troubles don't force him out.

He was charged with 2nd degree harassment and disorderly conduct. If convicted, he'll pay a fine and get probation.

The guys involved in the brawl at Schine last week are in worse trouble.

He was charged with 2nd degree harassment and disorderly conduct. If convicted, he'll pay a fine and get probation.

The guys involved in the brawl at Schine last week are in worse trouble.
Oh great. Have you heard who was there?

Arciniega sounds like a guy that needs to be starting. Maximize the reps he gets against the first team to try to accelerate his acclimation back to D1 football.

I'm going to believe it when I see it re: Arciniega. He's never played D1 football - he practiced two weeks for a mid-major before leaving the team. Since then, he's become a professional weightlifter and played a lot of community college football. I hope he will be an instant starter, but until he proves it, I fully expect Spruill to start in the middle based on reports that he spent all of December at that position. And because Spruill, Davis, and Lynch are the three best LB's on the team.

Interesting camp battles for starting positions.. One name stands out to me is josh Manley... Maybe this kid makes big contributions as a sophomore

I'm going to believe it when I see it re: Arciniega. He's never played D1 football - he practiced two weeks for a mid-major before leaving the team. Since then, he's become a professional weightlifter and played a lot of community college football. I hope he will be an instant starter, but until he proves it, I fully expect Spruill to start in the middle based on reports that he spent all of December at that position. And because Spruill, Davis, and Lynch are the three best LB's on the team.

Of course he has to prove it, I am just betting that he will.

When Spruill was taking all those reps at MLB (I didn't know he was), we didn't have a JUCO with LA's measurables coming in in January. With Davis being out and Spruill's best position clearly being Sam, I can't see the coaching staff spending much time giving Spruill #1 reps at a position he hopefully won't have to play.

Just my opinion. It is all just conjecture for entertainment until the pads come on on March 20th.

Anomaly. Even hall of famers have What moments.

Eskridge or Morgan will start at SS and whichever doesn't will play the Okie.
Agree on the anomaly. Replayed it a few times and think he was going for a strip and not the hit. Just a bonehead play. I'm not a fan of Wilkes. I think he is 2nd unit material. I think Eskridge, Morgan and Kelly will be in the mix to start. Really like Kelly's video. Looks like a playmaker.

How nice will it be if we actually have an 250 lb legit MLB in Arciniega!?!

Interesting camp battles for starting positions.. One name stands out to me is josh Manley... Maybe this kid makes big contributions as a sophomore
He redshirted last year correct? I thought he'd be pretty good but haven't heard anyone post much of anything on him.

Wilkes size scares me. He does play well occasionally, but is very inconsistent.

Washington is a guy that i;ll keep a close eye on next few years

Tomcat's post last week about strong safety has me very concerned. I think we need to find someone between now and the summer if we can, rather than rely on someone we convert.