Pre-Spring Depth Chart | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Pre-Spring Depth Chart

Oh and there's no way in the world Ron Thompson doesn't start if he's healthy. He's just as talented as Broyld but he actually is a TE.

The group of "Tight Ends" that Broyld is in is more of the H-Back variety. I see them lining up in the backfield on occasion. I don't see Thompson doing that - he's more of a pure tight end. That's why I have him behind Wales.

This of course is based on rumors that McDonald wants to use the *Patriots two-TE offense (Gronk the pure tight end, Hernandez the hybrid that lines up in the backfield occasionally). Who knows if that really will be the case.

Raymon and Bromley will both start.

Cam has a real chance of winning the Mike.

Don't forget about Donnie Simmons. Kid is making waves.

1 maybe 2 of the WRs will be moved.

This D is LOADED this year. Will be the clear strength of this team.
You like Lewis at WR if I remember correctly, which WR do you think would move?

The group of "Tight Ends" that Broyld is in is more of the H-Back variety. I see them lining up in the backfield on occasion. I don't see Thompson doing that - he's more of a pure tight end. That's why I have him behind Wales.

This of course is based on rumors that McDonald wants to use the *Patriots two-TE offense (Gronk the pure tight end, Hernandez the hybrid that lines up in the backfield occasionally). Who knows if that really will be the case.

I like that idea in theory but if it means Ron Thompson sits for another year I don't like it ;)

he almost did take one to the house last year, got down to the 15 if i remember correctly...
Even a blind squirrel catches a nut.

Not trying to poo-poo Desir's effort, but take away that 33 yard return and Desir averaged 3.8 yds on 19 returns.

He was good at making the first man miss and got some yards where he often should not have had any. I just think an 8-5 team moving to the ACC with hopes of improving that record should be able to find a more dynamic returner.

Perhaps with improved blocking around him, Desir could be that guy. Time will tell.

What I expect/want it to look like at end of Spring (pre-spring depth chart is all determined based on experience):
QB:Hunt-Loeb-Kinder
RB:Smith-Gulley-Morris-Moore-McFarlene-Rene
FB:Coker (really irrelevant besides Tank)-Davis
H-Back: Broyld-Parris
TE: Wales-Thomson-Bealieu
X: Funderbunk-Flemming-Lewis
Z:Foster-Kobena-Clark
Slot: West-Hale
LT: Knapp-Phillips-Burton
LG: Palmer-Foy
C:MacPherson-Emerich
RG:Trudo-Miller
RT: Hickey-Robinson

WDE: PierceBrewster-Simmons-Welsh
NT: Bromley-Crume-Walls
DT: Raymon-Jones-Coleman-Sloan
SDE:Robinson-Manley-Barrett
WLB: Davis-Kirkland-Washington
MLB: Lynch-Arcenegia-Coker
SLB: Spruill-Vigille
FCB: Reddish-Whigham-George
SCB:Lyn-Anderson-Cornelius
SS: Eskridge-Desir
FS: Morgan-Wilkes

K:Krautman
P:Fischer
LS:Rogers
KR:Morgan/Kobena
PR: Desir

Observations:
-Extremely concerned about LT, not sure if Knapp is at ACC starter level as Rfr.
-Way too many WRs, one will be moved- so I move Cornelius
-Way too many TEs, one will be moved (esp with 2 coming in) so I move Barrett
- Can not be soon enough that Kelly, Wayne and Trejo arrive. That will solidify quality depth on D.

I think it's funny that in almost every scenario people bury Welsh on the depth chart. The kid looked really good in the rotation last season as a soph. I'd be surprised if his playing time was reduced as many predict.

On offense, the staff will start the best five OL regardless of position. Therefore, I expect they'll find a spot for Emerich. By all reports he was great last year practicing against the 1st team defense.

Even a blind squirrel catches a nut.

Not trying to poo-poo Desir's effort, but take away that 33 yard return and Desir averaged 3.8 yds on 19 returns.

He was good at making the first man miss and got some yards where he often should not have had any. I just think an 8-5 team moving to the ACC with hopes of improving that record should be able to find a more dynamic returner.

Perhaps with improved blocking around him, Desir could be that guy. Time will tell.
Then what was the deal with Steve Rene? Desir was more reliable catching the ball than Mike Holmes was. He did very well returning the limited chances he had.

I fully expect Knapp to be starting, since we didn't take a JUCO, the writing is on the wall there.

Foy/Palmer should be a good battle. Palmer is a big boy.

I expect Raymon to be starting, from all accounts the coaches are pumped about him. Him and Bromley together should be fun to watch.

Don't see Wilkes starting at safety, someone else is going to step up, whether it's Morgan, Kelly, not sure.

Expect Arciniega at MLB, you don't bring a JUCO like him in unless you expect him to have a strong shot at starting and putting Spruill at MLB negates that. He's got the physical tools to be successful at MLB.

I was very surprised we didn't take any JUCO OL this year...if you look at the depth chart we only have 4 guys (Macky, Phillips, Hickey & Miller) that are Juniors or Seniors eligibility wise. We are pretty young overall as Foy, Robinson & Trudo are sophmores and Knapp, Palmer, Emerich & Burton all have 4 years left.

Next year Macky (who had a very good season) and Phillips will be gone and I could see Hickey pulling a Pugh and leaving a year early if he improves even a little bit this fall. Some people close to the team think Hickey may have had as good a year as Pugh this past season.

It appeared we could have had the two JUCO OL teammates (Hunter and the other guy whose name I can't remember) we looked at, but we backed off -- that tells me the coaches feel pretty comfortable with the young bucks already on the roster.

Then what was the deal with Steve Rene? Desir was more reliable catching the ball than Mike Holmes was. He did very well returning the limited chances he had.

Absolutely. He was excellent in that regard and often times that attribute is more important than being explosive with the ball in your hands.

I would just hope that we have someone on the roster who can do better than a single 20+ yard return in 20 attempts. Blocking had a lot to do with it but I am hoping for more out of our return game next year.

I was very surprised we didn't take any JUCO OL this year...if you look at the depth chart we only have 4 guys (Macky, Phillips, Hickey & Miller) that are Juniors or Seniors eligibility wise. We are pretty young overall as Foy, Robinson & Trudo are sophmores and Knapp, Palmer, Emerich & Burton all have 4 years left.

Next year Macky (who had a very good season) and Phillips will be gone and I could see Hickey pulling a Pugh and leaving a year early if he improves even a little bit this fall. Some people close to the team think Hickey may have had as good a year as Pugh this past season.

It appeared we could have had the two JUCO OL teammates (Hunter and the other guy whose name I can't remember) we looked at, but we backed off -- that tells me the coaches feel pretty comfortable with the young bucks already on the roster.

Well we did bring in JUCO John Miller, but he's more in the C/G variety of lineman. I was convinced we'd see a JUCO OT too and it looked that way while Marrone's staff was still intact, but it clearly wasn't a priority once Shafer was the head man.

Well we did bring in JUCO John Miller, but he's more in the C/G variety of lineman. I was convinced we'd see a JUCO OT too and it looked that way while Marrone's staff was still intact, but it clearly wasn't a priority once Shafer was the head man.
Do we know that for sure? Shafer said that Miller could play a number of positions. Maybe one of the is Tackle?

my starting O

QB Loeb
TB Smith
WR Funderburk
WR West
WR Foster
TE Thompson if health Wales if not
Center Mac
OG Trudo
OT Hicky
OT Knapp
OG Miller

Starting D
CB Reddish
CB Lynn
S Morgan
S Wilkes
MLB Arciniega
LB Spruil
LB Davis
DT Bromley
DT Jones
DE Raymon
DE MPB

KO Norton
PK
PR Desir
KR Kobena

my starting O

QB Loeb
TB Smith
WR Funderburk
WR West
WR Foster
Center Mac
OG Trudo
OT Hicky
OT Knapp
OG Miller

Starting D
CB Reddish
CB Lynn
S Morgan
S Wilkes
MLB Arciniega
LB Spruil
LB Davis
DT Bromley
DT Jones
DE Raymon
DE MPB

KO Norto

Raymon at tackle, with Robison at DE. I think Wales starts no matter what. Other than that I think you nailed it.
PK
PR Desir
KR Kobena

my starting O

QB Loeb
TB Smith
WR Funderburk
WR West
WR Foster
Center Mac
OG Trudo
OT Hicky
OT Knapp
OG Miller

Starting D
CB Reddish
CB Lynn
S Morgan
S Wilkes
MLB Arciniega
LB Spruil
LB Davis
DT Bromley
DT Jones
DE Raymon
DE MPB

KO Norton
PK
PR Desir
KR Kobena

This sqaud is looking real good IMO, really optimistic about Loeb. Just a quick question though, why is everyone so high on Foster? I think Kobena should be getting a little more love than he does, am I missing something?

This sqaud is looking real good IMO, really optimistic about Loeb. Just a quick question though, why is everyone so high on Foster? I think Kobena should be getting a little more love than he does, am I missing something?
Foster was very highly regarded by the staff before his injury. Probably would have played last season if not for the knee.

Foster was very highly regarded by the staff before his injury. Probably would have played last season if not for the knee.
funder foster west are three big WR's This team has a chance to be very physical

really? he's listed at 6'4" 310

and moore is listed as an o.t. at 250 lbs.
thought he was 6'2''. Still, skill set is made for guard, not tackle.

I wonder if there is any chance we see a little 3-4 sprinkled in on defense this year. With Raymon being so big, he could be a great defensive ed in a 3-4, Jones or Walls or Williams at the NT, and put Bromley out as the other DE. Then you could Stand Pierce-Brewster up as the blitzing OLB, possibly Sharpe as well. Have Arciniega and Spruill as MLB's.

Definitely wouldn't use it for our base defense but it could be another wrinkle we could add to continue to keep teams on their toes and would allow even more complex blitz packages to screw with the QB's. The ACC loses all the good QB's it had this past year so due to that inexperience, I think it could really work. The most established passer is Taj Boyd and then Logan Thomas and neither one are prolific passers by anybody's standards or high IQ QB's.

I wonder if there is any chance we see a little 3-4 sprinkled in on defense this year. With Raymon being so big, he could be a great defensive ed in a 3-4, Jones or Walls or Williams at the NT, and put Bromley out as the other DE. Then you could Stand Pierce-Brewster up as the blitzing OLB, possibly Sharpe as well. Have Arciniega and Spruill as MLB's.

Definitely wouldn't use it for our base defense but it could be another wrinkle we could add to continue to keep teams on their toes and would allow even more complex blitz packages to screw with the QB's. The ACC loses all the good QB's it had this past year so due to that inexperience, I think it could really work. The most established passer is Taj Boyd and then Logan Thomas and neither one are prolific passers by anybody's standards or high IQ QB's.
Good post i would not surprise me at all. Also as big as he is i would not be surprised actually expect to see either Bromley or Raymon at strong side DE

Good post i would not surprise me at all. Also as big as he is i would not be surprised actually expect to see either Bromley or Raymon at strong side DE

Agreed. If all of our DT's are as good as we are all predicting, I fully expect Bromley to get some tread at strong side DE. The guy had as good of a burst as anyone on the D line last year and the Okie is perfect for getting him some snaps there.

Love the idea of the 3-4. It seems like we are set up best for it considering DT might be one of our stronger positions. So why not put three of them out there if three of them are good enough to play? Also love the idea of MPB doin his best Clay Mathews being a force comin off the edge givin QB's hell.

We don't have one established middle linebacker right now, never mind two. There's not a chance. Spruill is not an MLB, he didn't do well with assignments in his one season there and there's a clear reason why Siriki started there last year. Spruill is a much better OLB.

We don't have one established middle linebacker right now, never mind two. There's not a chance. Spruill is not an MLB, he didn't do well with assignments in his one season there and there's a clear reason why Siriki started there last year. Spruill is a much better OLB.

Agree with this. You need two beasts at ILB to run a 3-4. They have to be able to take on and shed guard blocks on every play. Plus, if d-line is thought to be a strength then why go with 3 d-linemen and 4 linebackers (a position of overall weakness in terms of numbers)? MPB would have to be able to drop into pass coverage for this scenario to play out. For the last 4 years we have relied on fast, undersized linebackers to make plays while the d linemen tie people up. I don't really see that changing.