• He will end up in D-league

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • He will end up playing overseas

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • He will become the best pump-faker in NBA history

Votes: 5 8.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He was more athletic as a freshman IMO. He put on weight but it wasn't the type that was good for his game. Still he should be able to get that back through strength and conditioning. He's athletic enough just not a eye popping athlete.

That's fair. I'm just saying that whatever Brooky03 believes isn't what the scouts have said so far.

He'll wade in the D-league 2-3 years with occasional call-ups, never get any serious minutes in the NBA, get traded 2-3 times, and end up with a successful career overseas.

He'll wade in the D-league 2-3 years with occasional call-ups, never get any serious minutes in the NBA, get traded 2-3 times, and end up with a successful career overseas.

Yep, that sounds about right to me. I want nothing but the best for this kid, but I simply don't think he has the athleticism or quick release to be an NBA player.

Not sure he'll have the athleticism to compete with guys who have the same timing and elite athleticism.

Lydon is an excellent college ball player and I don't claim to be an expert but I don't ever see him being a 10+ rebound per 40 rebound guy.

How many "3 and D", "Stretch 4" players are great rebounders. I think for that role he will be a good rebounder. The issue will be if his D is good enough. He has shown good awareness and help D at times -- do those translate to being a good team defender at the NBA level. In those roles perhaps they do or he can be a complete miss. To me, how good a team defender Lydon is at the NBA level will determine how his career goes.

He has much deeper and better skills than Steve Novak in most areas. But they may not be NBA level skills either. I think the Novak comparison is a little too simplistic. Lydon will almost certainly never be the shooter that Novak was -- Novak was a historically great shooter. But perhaps Lydon could be average or + level in a few skills at the NBA level , so that could make up for the shooting difference. If he is not a good team defender he may never get minutes.

Like any player taken after #20 in the draft nothing is a sure thing in terms of determing NBA career length. Could be a total flop or a serviceable starter or role player longer term.

How's he going to score anywhere other than behind the 3 point line? He's not quick enough to get around the guys who are bigger than him, he's not athletic enough to score over anyone, and he's not big enough to post up the 'smaller' forwards who might guard him. He could improve these areas but he's probably looking at 3 years before there's enough improvement in his body and skills to do these things well enough to get NBA court time. If a team hold on to him for that long and brings him along slowly, then he's got something, but teams are often reluctant to do that.

1. Not sure he really needs to score other than behind the 3 point line to have a long NBA career.
2. He can certainly shoot over smaller forwards in the post if his team wants him to.
3. Drive and kick to Lydon, pump fake, attack the too-aggressive closeout.
4. Tip-ins.

1. Not sure he really needs to score other than behind the 3 point line to have a long NBA career.
2. He can certainly shoot over smaller forwards in the post if his team wants him to.
3. Drive and kick to Lydon, pump fake, attack the too-aggressive closeout.
4. Tip-ins.

1. He has to at least be a threat inside the arc. Otherwise, teams will stick a guy in his face and just not let him shoot. A lot of the '3 and D' guys in the NBA are capable of more than just shooting 3's on the offensive end, which is why they can get 3's off.

2. How's he going to get the 'smaller' forwards in the post? He couldn't back down college guys consistently and the 'smaller' guys in the NBA would only be giving up a maximum of 2 inches to him.

3. If he has a defender on him who helps off, then this is probably the best blueprint for him to score. The problem is the NBA has no shortage of guys who can stand in the corner and wait for a pass.

4. C'mon

I still maintain the best NBA comp for Tylor Lydon (if he makes it in the NBA) is Patrick Patterson. Will focus on their outside shot, but what made Patrick Patterson serviceable is not additional offensive diversity or being a great athlete. It was that he became a very good team defender with decent athleticisim, and when he is playing well he finds ways to get 2 or 3 efficient buckets a game from inside. (cuts, tips, simple quick post moves). He is a stretch 4 who can guard 4's. and can also play the 5 when teams really go small.

That is who Lydon should hope to become. I know Patterson is not white so that baffles some right off the top.

4. C'mon

Tip Ins, Cuts, a few offensive boards, a few simple quick post moves that you can use once or twice a game. If you are better than this than other Stretch 4's it goes a massively long way in expaniding your role on the team. Stertch 4's by their nature are not going to score off the dribble. But having the offensive awareness to score a few other ways more than the average guy at the position means quite a bit.

1. He has to at least be a threat inside the arc. Otherwise, teams will stick a guy in his face and just not let him shoot. A lot of the '3 and D' guys in the NBA are capable of more than just shooting 3's on the offensive end, which is why they can get 3's off.

2. How's he going to get the 'smaller' forwards in the post? He couldn't back down college guys consistently and the 'smaller' guys in the NBA would only be giving up a maximum of 2 inches to him.

3. If he has a defender on him who helps off, then this is probably the best blueprint for him to score. The problem is the NBA has no shortage of guys who can stand in the corner and wait for a pass.

4. C'mon

The Cavs have like 4 players based upon the description you just gave.

Please share.

I exaggerated a bit because I don't really think you have an accurate POV of Lydons skill set, but they do have multiple guys who just stand and shoot like Korver/Frye/Shumpert.

I exaggerated a bit because I don't really think you have an accurate POV of Lydons skill set, but they do have multiple guys who just stand and shoot like Korver/Frye/Shumpert.

Korver and Shumpert have guard skills, so they're different. You have a point with Frye.

NBA Scouts keep saying Lydon is athletic and our fans say he isn't. So which one is it?

People who don't think Lydon is athletic have no clue. It's embarrassing everytime I read those posts.

And no... I'm not saying the guy is Russell Westbrook or Jerami Grant.

I still maintain the best NBA comp for Tylor Lydon (if he makes it in the NBA) is Patrick Patterson. Will focus on their outside shot, but what made Patrick Patterson serviceable is not additional offensive diversity or being a great athlete. It was that he became a very good team defender with decent athleticisim, and when he is playing well he finds ways to get 2 or 3 efficient buckets a game from inside. (cuts, tips, simple quick post moves). He is a stretch 4 who can guard 4's. and can also play the 5 when teams really go small.

That is who Lydon should hope to become. I know Patterson is not white so that baffles some right off the top.
Nah that's not true... you can only compare Lydon to white guys! ;)

People who don't think Lydon is athletic have no 'ing clue. It's embarrassing everytime I read those posts.

And no... I'm not saying the guy is Russell Westbrook or Jerami Grant.

For the record, I'm not in the "he's not athletic" camp, I'm in the "he's not athletic enough" camp.

Just wanted to be clear.

If he was 2 inches taller he would be Kelly olynk. Still think that is his best comparison in terms of offensive style. Certainly not going to hold down the 5 spot on the defensive end though. Tough comparison. I like the Patrick Patterson comp though

Lacking true size for a 4 and athleticism for a 3, he doesn't have an NBA position; he may go in the first round, but he won't get a 2nd contract. I doubt he'll even get all the options picked up on his first contract.

He'll be on an NBA roster for a couple years, bouncing up and down to the G-League, but ultimately he will have a decent career playing in foreign leagues for several years.

End of the first round, puts a few years in the D then turns into a Novak lite.

His ticket is that beautiful shot he has. Nothing else he does I don't think ever gets good enough to be NBA quality.

This post isn't a knock, I think he can carve out a solid NBA career if he focuses on his main skill.

Professional sports are always about your carrying tool initially. Once you are established with that then you try to expand. If he can shoot well enough I think he could develop into a good passer and average rebounder. That could, in theory make him more valuable down the road than your projection. But either way he's got to drain shots from day 1.

NBA Scouts keep saying Lydon is athletic and our fans say he isn't. So which one is it?
what NBA scouts?
Not Chad Ford, DraftExpress, et al - those are journalists

Korver and Shumpert have guard skills, so they're different. You have a point with Frye.
Frye is 2-3 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier.
People who don't think Lydon is athletic have no 'ing clue. It's embarrassing everytime I read those posts.
It's clear to me that you don't watch enough NBA

what NBA scouts?
Not Chad Ford, DraftExpress, et al - those are journalists

Come on bro even you're better than that. You just think you're smarter than people who do it for a living.

Come on bro even you're better than that. You just think you're smarter than people who do it for a living.
it's simple: name an actual NBA scout who has said Lydon has NBA athleticism

I'll gladly eat crow if you can

So far I've learned that Lydon is not athletic enough nor did he improve very much YoY. Ok then.

So far I've learned that Lydon is not athletic enough nor did he improve very much YoY. Ok then.
I'm surprised you didn't know that already. Obviously you haven't been paying attention to the board this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom